Search

Introducing the official SWISS Lurker

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:03 am
Company Representative - Swiss Airlines

Programs: Miles & More (LX)
Originally Posted by motty
Hi Nick,
I have a couple of questions regarding connecting to LX codeshare flights. I couldn't find a clear answer on the web site and customer service was not clear when I tried to research this. Hopefully, you could shed some light. I'm flying C on route EWR-ZRH-TLV and TLV-GVA-NYC. On both TLV legs I have LY operated flights as LX codeshares (so e.g. flying LX4222 which is LY344).
My questions are:
1. How would luggage be prioritized? I'm C on both legs, but would priority baggage handling honored across airlines?
2. According to both LX and LY customer service, there is no PNR associated with the LY legs - since the passenger list is provided to LY only 24h prior to departure. Since that's the case, how can I check in for the TLV-GVA-NYC flight at TLV?

Thanks so much for the feedback.
Dear motty,

I just received additional information:
1.) Priority baggage will be honored across the two airlines
2.) It is correct that the passenger information is passed on to the operating carrier 24h in advance. But this information also contains connecting flights. So in TLV your bags will be checked through and also your second boarding pass will be printed out. You may also check in online for your flight if you wish to do so.

Best regards,
Nick
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:51 pm
formerl motty

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, VS Gold, Hertz Pres. Circ, Avis Pres Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SwissInternationalAirLines
Dear motty,

I just received additional information:
1.) Priority baggage will be honored across the two airlines
2.) It is correct that the passenger information is passed on to the operating carrier 24h in advance. But this information also contains connecting flights. So in TLV your bags will be checked through and also your second boarding pass will be printed out. You may also check in online for your flight if you wish to do so.

Best regards,
Nick
Great. Thanks very much Nick.
I'm happy to hear I'll have priority handling throughout the trip (since it really matters at the final destination for fast pickup).
One last question re: TLV checkin. Can I complete online checkin through Swiss?
The reason for my question is that ElAl does not permit online checkin for codeshare passengers - based on their online T&C (which makes sense, since they won't have the PNR to check me in). However, Swiss is the second carrier which based on my experience usually does not permit checkin since it does not originate the travel.
This case may be unique, since this is a codeshare.

Thanks again,
Motty
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Dear Swiss Lurker, how do I go about getting a letter from LX confirming the reason for a delay? I need confirmation of a mechanical delay for insurance purposes.

I've sent two emails using the Contact Us link (Oct 5 and Oct 15) and have received no replies. I tried Facebook, but it seems messages can't be left there. Twitter either. (I'll be the first to admit I'm really bad with social media, so maybe I'm missing something.)

It shouldn't be this difficult. Maybe have a look at how Delta does it and learn from this!

https://www.delta.com/contactus/page...tion/index.jsp

Thank you!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:22 pm
formerl motty

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, VS Gold, Hertz Pres. Circ, Avis Pres Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Dear Swiss Lurker, how do I go about getting a letter from LX confirming the reason for a delay? I need confirmation of a mechanical delay for insurance purposes.

I've sent two emails using the Contact Us link (Oct 5 and Oct 15) and have received no replies. I tried Facebook, but it seems messages can't be left there. Twitter either. (I'll be the first to admit I'm really bad with social media, so maybe I'm missing something.)

It shouldn't be this difficult. Maybe have a look at how Delta does it and learn from this!

Thank you!
Hi margarita girl,
This may be an obvious question but have you tried calling Swiss customer care?
I've found that many times emails have to wait in a loooooong queue, while a call forces an immediate response. I've had instances where it took another *A carrier a month to answer a simple email, but I got immediate action when I called in. Just an idea.

Good luck,
Motty
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called today, and was told to send an email to [email protected]. I suspect no one will respond to that either.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you!
I finally got my letter from Swiss yesterday, a full 3 weeks after first requesting it. In a million years, I would never have predicted such terrible service from Swiss.

You can close the file on this Swiss Lurker.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:42 am

I finally got my letter from Swiss yesterday, a full 3 weeks after first requesting it. In a million years, I would never have predicted such terrible service from Swiss.

You can close the file on this Swiss Lurker.
Dear margarita girl,

I am really sorry to hear that you had to wait so long for your confirmation letter. I will pass on your feedback to the responsible department and am confident that they will make use of it and take adequate actions to speed up similar cases in the future.

Best regards from ZRH,
Nick
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by motty
Great. Thanks very much Nick.
I'm happy to hear I'll have priority handling throughout the trip (since it really matters at the final destination for fast pickup).
One last question re: TLV checkin. Can I complete online checkin through Swiss?
The reason for my question is that ElAl does not permit online checkin for codeshare passengers - based on their online T&C (which makes sense, since they won't have the PNR to check me in). However, Swiss is the second carrier which based on my experience usually does not permit checkin since it does not originate the travel.
This case may be unique, since this is a codeshare.

Thanks again,
Motty
Dear Motty,

According to my colleagues, online check in on the El Al website should be available in your case.

Best regards from ZRH,
Nick
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Bsquare
Hi Swiss lurker -- wanted to give you some (hopefully) constructive feedback about a recent luggage experience. Timeline:

*I fly Swiss in coach HKG-->Zurich-->Berlin. Night flight from HK, so we arrive just as Zurich airport opens for business.
*One bag makes it to Berlin. We are told the other is sitting in Zagrab. I watched them put on the luggage tag in HKG, plus the smaller tag, and the bright red "Priority" tag. Also has a United Platinum tag with my contact info, and a box of business cards inside the suitcase. Stuff gets misdirected -- I understand it's part of travel. Thought Swiss might be more careful with priority bags, but no big deal.
*Tegel baggage claim tells is the bag is located, and will be delivered to our address in Berlin within 24-48 hours. In Berlin for multiple days, no bag.
*The printed phone number for Tegel baggage services does not work -- no one ever picks up. We call Swiss (both airline and Swissport), no return phone calls. No reply to email inquires either.
*When leaving Berlin, Tegel staff tells us variously that the bag is in (a) Zurich, (b) Bern, (c) Hong Kong. They also tell us (a) delivery effort was made and (b) no delivery effort was made. They also tell us that the bag left Tegel as all unclaimed Swiss bags leave Tegel after (a) seven) or (b) fourteen days. At the time, the bag had been in Berlin for a max of five days.
*In Zurich, Swissport staff tell us the bag has been located, and will be delivered to us in Lauterbrunnen, our next destination.
*Several days later, back in Zurich, still with no bag. We speak with Swiss station manager, who promises to get us a firm status on the bag.
*Twelve hours later, we receive a message that our inquiry has been closed, as the bag was delivered several days ago, according to the system.
*We have received one subsequent email, simply stating that Swiss is looking for the bag.
*Been about three weeks no, no idea whether our bag is actually lost, in transit somewhere.

Some suggestions:

*Does Swiss provide compensation to purchase clothing/necessities for delayed baggage? Tegel said "don't know, call Swiss". Tegel also said they normally distribute amenity kits, but that they were out of stock.
*The website for us to check on the status of our bag was problematic: Staff in both Tegel and Zurich made mistakes in entering some details (e.g., Hotel name in Lauterbrunnen was misspelled, but street address was OK). We were unable to edit any of those changes. We tried using an iPhone, an Android phone, and two iPads. Don't know if it was an operating system issue, but frustrating nonetheless.
*We did not receive responses to phone messages or emails sent while we were in Berlin -- frustrating customer service.
*We would go in a circle, where Tegel said we need to talk to the airline, airline said we need to talk to Swissport, then Swissport said to follow up with Tegel. There should be a way to get an accountable person when a problem escalates.
*Station manager in Zurich was very nice, but ultimately not helpful. Useful if he could address problems, versus simply try to defuse unhappy fliers. In his defense, he did bump us to business, which made us less cranky for the following 10-12 hours.
*Still haven't found my bag, after three weeks. Swiss suggests that maybe the tag has come off. This would have to mean the main tag, the smaller number barcode, and my United tag w/mileage plus number have all come off. Still, the lost luggage report captures all sorts of baggage detail. So, in the universe of bags lost on Swiss flights, are there many Tumi Hardshell upright green cases? Curious what you do with all the unclaimed bags.
Dear Bsquare,

Please excuse my delayed response.

I am terribly sorry to hear about all the bits and pieces that went wrong in the case you describe. Please accept my sincere apologies.

There are several initiatives on the way that should solve some of the issues you describe. I do of course hope that you won't encounter a situation of lost luggage again. But if that happens again, I'm sure your case will be handled better in the future!

Again, I'm very sorry to hear about what happened. Feel free to contact me through PM and I will see if there is anything I can do to assist to finally solve your case satisfactory.

Best regards from ZRH,
Nick

Last edited by SwissInternationalAirLines; Oct 28, 2016 at 8:59 am
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Nick I have booked a codeshare through United to Zurich (from ORD) and on to BCN on Swiss. I can not get assigned seats because it is a codeshare. I have read on some travel sites that if I call Swiss directly, I may be able to get assigned seats and/or even upgrade to business class for the ORD-ZRH flight. Is this in the realm of possibility?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
I phoned M&M senator line in the US today and was told e-vouchers are not valid to upgrade from P to first. This was certainly possible in the past with LX.

SwissInternationalAirLines - Can you confirm if this is true or someone had mistaken.

Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
I phoned M&M senator line in the US today and was told e-vouchers are not valid to upgrade from P to first. This was certainly possible in the past with LX.

SwissInternationalAirLines - Can you confirm if this is true or someone had mistaken.

Thanks
Answering my own question - called Swiss directly and it upgrade was performed without issue.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:11 am

Dear Swiss Lurker,

I have booked a flight to JFK in Business (revenue tickets) for a party of four since July. At the time of my booking I have assigned seats for all of us in row 5 and they have been confirmed... Until today! I logged into my booking and saw that one of our seats has been blocked and two of the passengers are moved to the back of the cabin (row 10). I tried contacting the call center regarding this problem but they couldn't help me any further except the offered me to move all passenger to row 10.

However, I booked pretty early when the flights was not that full to secure the seats in row 5 for all of us - you probably know there is quite some difference between the small C cabin and row 10. Pretty disappointed with having to move to the back of the cabin and we cannot can we get our seats in row 5 as we originally reserved. Could you please help me out on this?

Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by SwissInternationalAirLines
Dear anthropod,

You assume correctly - bags will be checked-through to Male but there should typically not be an additional security check. You should also be able to receive your boarding passes upon check-in in Boston or online check-in as long as your second leg lies within the 24 hour check-in window. You will have to pass passport control if you decide to leave the terminal as you will be entering the Schengen area. If you remain in the transit area, there will not be additional passport controls.

You may want to enjoy the lounges in Terminal E, depending on your travel class and frequent flyer status. However, with a roughly 10 hour layover I would personally prefer taking the train into the city and exploring Zurich. Apart from that, there are no other details I think are worth highlighting.

Best regards and wishing you a pleasant trip,
Nick

Hi Nick, we are about 45 days from our epic trip to the Maldives. Would you expect the process to be the same as my inquiry in August, arriving and departing in the E terminal (from Boston, then on to Male) and if we stay in the transit area is it still anticipated that no security checks or passport control measures will be required unless we leave the terminal into the Schengen area? Many thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:17 am

Programs: LX SEN
Dear Swiss Lurker,

FTL number and status would not be accepted either a online check-in nor at the "human" check-in in GVA on one of my reservations. Can we look at this in private messages to make sure that the FTL # and status gets accepted and printed for the return flight?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.