Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalk Site suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Flyertalk Site suggestions

I couldn't find a site suggestions forum so I posted this here.

I came across a nice mod that will translate the site and or any pages completely into 1 of 30 languages. This is a Mod that would accommodate this site very nicely IMHO.

I installed this on one of my forums last night and its working great.

Here are the details:
vB Global Translator

LIVE DEMO Just click a Flag.

vB Global Translator automatically translates your forum into 28 other languages via the Google translate API, stores those translations in a MySQL database then rewrites new URLs so you end up with 28 new pages in 28 new languages for every current page.

So, if you have 10,000 pages, this MOD will translate those pages into 28 languages making a total of 280,000 pages in 28 languages. This results in a flood of international traffic and referrals from the search engines. If you are getting 1,000 visits a day from your 10,000 pages imagine how many referrals you will get from 280,000 pages!

The current languages this MOD works with are all supported and allowed by AdSense so you can expect your income to rise accordingly without issue. I have this running on a 20,000 thread forum and after a few months I have more than doubled my search engine traffic.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Automatic translators are, at best, just close to accurate. When you start getting travel terms and acronyms involved to the level that FT has things would fall apart in a hurry. I've seen some examples of FT translated in that way; they are not good.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Automatic translators are, at best, just close to accurate. When you start getting travel terms and acronyms involved to the level that FT has things would fall apart in a hurry. I've seen some examples of FT translated in that way; they are not good.
I would think that would be the case with any off the shelf translator, but with Google API I think this is a wee bit better.

As for acronyms and travel terms take a look at FT in Japanese here

And you can also test any page with any language first from here

They look pretty darn good to me.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by sbm12
+1

Originally Posted by IAMTSA
As for acronyms and travel terms take a look at FT in Japanese here

And you can also test any page with any language first from here

They look pretty darn good to me.
I just tried my native language (Traditional Chinese) with your sampled Japanese page from CommunityBuzz! Forum.

The "output" looked aweful. Rarely the translation makes sense. Put aside the logic/grammar errors, most of the outcome fail to represent the thread titles accurately.

Can you imagine it even translates FT handles? How can baobab become "猴麵包" (i.e. Monkey bread)?

All I can say is they look pretty darn horrible to me.

ps. They probably should get a new Chinese translator.

Last edited by lin821; Aug 11, 2009 at 11:41 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lin821
+1

I just tried my native language (Traditional Chinese) with your sampled Japanese page from CommunityBuzz! Forum.

The "output" looked aweful. Rarely the translation makes sense. Put aside the logic/grammar errors, most of the outcome fail to represent the thread titles accurately.

Can you imagine it even translator FT handles? How can baobab become "猴麵包" (i.e. Monkey bread)?

All I can say is they look pretty darn horrible to me.

Unbelievable -- all this time I thought Google knew what they were doin.

Damn shame to find out their website translator is garbage.

難以相信 -- 所有這次我認為Google知道什麼他們是doin。 羞辱发现他們的網站譯者是垃圾。

Unbelievable -- All this I thought that Google knew any they are doin. The shame discovered that they the website translator is a trash.

LMAO That is pretty funny.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by lin821
I looked at the stuff in Spanish since I don't know any Chinese or Japanese and as an american with just passable spanish it looked OK and even had a spot to submit a better translation after I clicked on a thread. Why would I want to sit down and properly translate everything if they are using a translator?

I guess if someone doesn't need it they don't have to use it, but since it's easy enough to copy a URL into google to translate as it is, I don't think we need this tool.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:05 am
Suspended

I think you should add translation services rest all is fine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.