Wiki Posts
Search

Ignore thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G
Ignore thread

Is it technically possible to have threads ignored, so that the title doesn't appear on the main forum page at all?

I really have two separate ideas:

1. Have an option to ignore any off-topic thread (one whose title starts with OT: or WOT:.) This was my original idea. Mods could alter an off-topic thread title to contain OT: at the front if necessary, as an intermediate option between leaving it there (and bothering people who hate all OT threads), and either moving it, locking it, deleting it (and bothering people who thought that particular OT thread belonged in the forum.)

2. There might be threads (a sticky, a long-running gag, a flame war) that I don't want to see all the time and would prefer the screen real estate for other threads. Could there be an option to set the thread to "ignore".

The ignored threads could be listed in one's MyFlyerTalk should one wish to un-ignore it.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by zorn
Is it technically possible to have threads ignored, so that the title doesn't appear on the main forum page at all?

I really have two separate ideas:

1. Have an option to ignore any off-topic thread (one whose title starts with OT: or WOT:.) This was my original idea. Mods could alter an off-topic thread title to contain OT: at the front if necessary, as an intermediate option between leaving it there (and bothering people who hate all OT threads), and either moving it, locking it, deleting it (and bothering people who thought that particular OT thread belonged in the forum.)

2. There might be threads (a sticky, a long-running gag, a flame war) that I don't want to see all the time and would prefer the screen real estate for other threads. Could there be an option to set the thread to "ignore".

The ignored threads could be listed in one's MyFlyerTalk should one wish to un-ignore it.
Have a Mod/Admin remove your OMNI access?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I was about to inquire/request a similar feature, but a search found this, so I'l bump it instead.

In my case, what's bugging me is all the game & counting threads in OMNI. That horse has been pretty beaten, so I don't want to rehash those arguments here. But my problem is, there are now so many of them, and they get posted to so often, that more useful OMNI threads (if there is such a thing) are bumped down. At the moment, by my count, 18 of the 32 most recently posted to ONMI threads are those self-admitted wastes of time.

I'd like a thread-ignore feature so that they don't clog up on the OMNI page thread list.

Does the FT software support such a feature? And if so, can it please be enabled?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 8:13 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by swag
that more useful OMNI threads (if there is such a thing)
That's an oxymoron as you admitted.

But seriously this would be a great idea for folks that have absolutely no interest in a particular subject. Just check off the boxes next to the threads and they disappear into cyberspace.

But as with subscribed threads you can go in at anytime and turn them back on if you have a change of heart in the future.

Be interested to see if this is possible.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Cholula
But as with subscribed threads you can go in at anytime and turn them back on if you have a change of heart in the future.

Be interested to see if this is possible.
But then if you ignore the thread and it disappears, how will you be able to find it again should you indeed have a change of heart?
Old Dec 26, 2008, 9:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ajax
But then if you ignore the thread and it disappears, how will you be able to find it again should you indeed have a change of heart?

Ideally you have a list of the threads that you've put on ignore and you'd just uncheck the "Ignore" box next to the thread. That's how it work on Ignore Member:
To remove a user from your ignore list, un-check the box associated with their name and click the 'Save Changes' button.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 8:06 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Cholula
Ideally you have a list of the threads that you've put on ignore and you'd just uncheck the "Ignore" box next to the thread. That's how it work on Ignore Member:
Ah. That makes so much more sense. ^
Old Jan 1, 2009, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by swag
At the moment, by my count, 18 of the 32 most recently posted to ONMI threads are those self-admitted wastes of time.
A quick look at page one of OMNI just now found a handful but nowhere near that number so it will change depending on when you visit OMNI. FWIW I find the counting or game threads nowhere near as plentiful as once upon a time.

OTOH having the ability to reorient the display in any forum to suit your liking would have some advantages.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
I'd love to see this too. And not just for Omni.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:32 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

it's long been on our wish list and we came very close to installing as there was a "plug-in" for this sort of function for vBulletin. But as we moved closer to install, we found out that the "plug-in" was no longer supported for newer versions of vBulletin. For most of you, "plug-ins" was the older manner in which cool things could be added to vBulletin and they were developed by regular users of vBulletin (not the software company itself) and as such, you were really at the mercy that the developer would keep the plug-in up to date from bugs and that it would work with newer versions of the software. Anyway, a decision was made to not install a hack form this since it was not compliant to newer versions. We're hoping that when Internet Brands gets closer to installing the newer versions of vBulletin for FlyerTalk (we're several releases behind solely because FT is so large you want to be more than careful with anything new) that it will contain this feature. We think it could be of use for all members to help manage their experience.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:11 pm

seems like a lot of trouble for nothing to me. what's supposed to happen if you accidentally see a post from someone you dont like anyway? do you turn to stone?
Old May 12, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
This would be a nice feature to have on a day like today, when clicking to OMNI greets you with the following thread titles:

"I am naked because....."
"Miss USA (part of Miss Universe) adds new lingerie photos"
"What is the attraction of nude beaches?"

Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:02 pm

The main reason for not implimenting this is because it will slow down the forum.

When you view a forum, a query runs. For simplicity, let's call it this:

SELECT * from thread where forumid = 1;

This will list all the threads in the forum with the id of 1 (miles and points, I think). There is a lot other going on, but that's the majority of it. If we had a thread ignore feature, before that query there would first have to be a query to find out which threads in that forum you are ignoring.

SELECT threadid from userignore where forumid = 1 and userid = 12345;

Let's say that this returned the thread id 987654. Now, the first query can be ran again, excluding that forum id.

SELECT * from thread where forumid = 1 and threadid != 987654

On a small forum, this wouldn't be a big deal. On Flyertalk, this will be substantial.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Here's a possible solution for Firefox users. I tried this and so far it seems to work. Read this post for the details.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
is it possible to ignore a thread in which you have posted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.