Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Unsubscribe” feature could (desperately) use a revised UI

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:39 am
Original Poster

“Unsubscribe” feature could (desperately) use a revised UI

In MyFlyerTalk, the UI of the Unsubscribe feature makes it far too easy to inadvertently unsubscribe from individual forums.

The “Unsubscribe” links are mixed in with the forum links, and it’s far too easy to click Unsubscribe instead of a forum that you’re trying to visit.

And unlike subscribing to a forum, where you (annoyingly) have to confirm your subscription, the unsubscribe feature kills off the subscription without any confirmation. A bit backwards, it seems to me: if you're going to require a confirmation, it's far more common to require the confirmation for deleting, not for creating. (I can't think of any app where I need to confirm a create but not for remove/delete.)

I’d suggest putting “Unsubscribe” in the Forum Tools drop-down, in the same functional area where you find “Subscribe.” And if you're going to have an unsubscribe link mixed in with the go-to-forum links, requiring a confirmation would be thoughtful.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 9:17 am

Programs: SAS
Originally Posted by wideman
The “Unsubscribe” links are mixed in with the forum links, and it’s far too easy to click Unsubscribe instead of a forum that you’re trying to visit.
unsubscribe link mixed in with the go-to-forum links, requiring a confirmation would be thoughtful.
I´ll second that. It too easy to accidently unsubcribe from a Forum. No big deal to subscribe again though, but it would be nice if it was a bit "tougher "to unsubscribe.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:44 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I noted this as a potential issue when I first saw the layout of the MyFT page with Subscribed Forums, but somehow I've managed not to accidentally unsubscribe.

I do recall reading something about tidying the style sheet once things seem to be running smoothly otherwise. Tonight seems to be very smooth, in fact, so we'll see what else Randy and crew have up their sleeves soon enough.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:18 pm

Maybe you could at least require a confirmation (like when subscribing)?
Old Apr 10, 2004, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, Dirt elsewhere
Thumbs down Please change this!

I just managed to unsubscribe to a forum accidently!

I wholehardedly agree that the unscribe option on the "My FlyerTalk" page is too easy to click on. Could you please implement some kind of confirmation page, or... move the unsubscribe request to a drop down menu, or special separate "unsubscribe" page in order to prevent these mistakes?

Otherwise i love the site now... it's great!
Old Apr 13, 2004, 1:37 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Thumbs up

I'll have to agree with these change requests, albeit, it is such a minor point. But now that I expect perfection from this superb site, why not ask? Maybe a spacer or dotted line separation, or make the unsubscribe link active only at the far right or left end, or a button that is more difficult to press accidentally. My fat fingers and overly sensitive mouse need the help.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Unsubscribe MUST be moved or ask to confirm!
Old Apr 15, 2004, 2:13 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I unsubscribed myself from a forum by mistake yesterday, and came here to comment on this design flaw - only to find that others had already beaten me to it.

As others have said, far too easy to click on "unsubscribe" by mistake when you are trying to click on a forum title. They are too close together.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 9:48 am
dan at WebFlyer

Until vBB comes out with an unsubscribe confirmation patch, what design improvement with the unsubscribe link would you suggest? How about a horizontal line separating the Forum name from the unsubscribe link?

Old Apr 15, 2004, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by dan at WebFlyer
Until vBB comes out with an unsubscribe confirmation patch, what design improvement with the unsubscribe link would you suggest? How about a horizontal line separating the Forum name from the unsubscribe link?
That would work. Actually I notice that it's really not a problem on the forums that have long descriptions. So you could just put a lot of text in for every forum description. I was thinking you might want to consider making that text even smaller (relative to the title) and/or less bold as well. A different color might also help (but clutter the page a bit, maybe gray would work though). But the main thing is probably some vertical separation between the unsubscribe link and the forum title link.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by CrazyOne
That would work. Actually I notice that it's really not a problem on the forums that have long descriptions. So you could just put a lot of text in for every forum description. I was thinking you might want to consider making that text even smaller (relative to the title) and/or less bold as well. A different color might also help (but clutter the page a bit, maybe gray would work though). But the main thing is probably some vertical separation between the unsubscribe link and the forum title link.
I agree.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
How about shortening the phrase to simply "Unsubscribe" and then right-justify it?

And my gold upgrade took two days to post after all my miles posted. So status changes tend to not be instantaneous.

Last edited by 925; Apr 16, 2004 at 1:04 am
Old Apr 16, 2004, 5:47 pm

Thumbs up

Okay, if anyone is still accidentally unsubscribing, you are beyond help.

Looks good for now. Probably true that the unsubscribe link needn't be taking up two lines (as it is on my browser at least). But functionally it should achieve the desired separation.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 6:27 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
Okay, if anyone is still accidentally unsubscribing, you are beyond help.
I'm having trouble unsubscribing from a forum......

<running real fast>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.