Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Suggestions
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 31, 12, 5:19 pm   #1

Programs: Executive Club Silver
Questions for the Community Director

So moderators are just average users who help out the community? How do they help out? Can they ban people. Do mods get elected or need to register? Do they meet up together and have a little gossip about people here?

What about admins then? Some admins have only registered a few months ago...I assume they have multiple accounts. Do the admins own the forum or work for the person who does?
Old Jul 31, 12, 10:08 pm   #2
Moderator: Information Desk, Alaska Mileage Plan; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AS, AA, AGR S, HZ PC, Nat'l Exec, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotNoodle View Post
So moderators are just average users who help out the community? How do they help out? Can they ban people. Do mods get elected or need to register? Do they meet up together and have a little gossip about people here?
Yes; by removing spam posts, welcoming new members, and facilitating an organized and respectful discussion; yes; mods are appointed; there is a moderator conference where moderators discuss and receive training in technology, conflict resolution, and other subjects. Gossip is not tolerated, and specific names of specific people are never discussed either in person or online in any of the official channels or venues.

Quote:
What about admins then? Some admins have only registered a few months ago...I assume they have multiple accounts. Do the admins own the forum or work for the person who does?
They work for Internet Brands, who owns the forum. One of the new admins just started work on FlyerTalk and handles many things like cleaning up spam user registrations, responding to email inquiries, and other housekeeping tasks.
Old Jul 31, 12, 11:20 pm   #3
Moderator Travel News, Hawaii, the Hawaii-based Airlines, West & DiningBuzz

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I've moved the op's post into its own thread, and will call the Community Director's attention to it

cblaisd
Senior Moderator
Old Jul 31, 12, 11:29 pm   #4
Community Director

Quote:
Jackal has done an excellent job of answering this. They are volunteers and spend all the hours they do for the good of the community. Talkboard is also a volunteer group, as are the ambassadors.

Quote:
Admins are employees of Internet Brands who have owned FlyerTalk for almost five years now. Any Internet Brand employee will have their handle shown in red. I am unaware of any IB employee having multiple handles.