Wiki Posts
Search

Moderator replies to reported posts should go to PM, not email

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Moderator replies to reported posts should go to PM, not email

Every other online forum that I participate in has moderator alerts that go to PM. For some reason, FT alerts go to email only. To make things worse, there's no context associated with them. For example, I reported a post a few weeks ago. I just now checked the email on that account, and I have a reply from the moderator about the post. But as it's been a few weeks, I have no idea what post they might be talking about, let alone what my comment was

I have the ability to receive email notifications when I have PM's. So sending feedback/questions to me via PM seems like it should be sufficient.

I've just now gone into my profile to disable the option for admins to send me email. Hopefully this doesn't make it more painful for administrators to contact me regarding posts I've alerted.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:30 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The email containing the alert to moderators has the thread link, the specific post you reported and your comment. I'm sure if you ask the mod to provide you the original email he/she will let you have a copy @:-)

Disabling the function to let admins email you probably will make the entire alert/reporting thing a one way affair
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The email containing the alert to moderators has the thread link, the specific post you reported and your comment. I'm sure if you ask the mod to provide you the original email he/she will let you have a copy
Then in addition to the original request, consider this a suggestion to make including the thread/post link SOP when responding to alerts.

Disabling the function to let admins email you probably will make the entire alert/reporting thing a one way affair
Great, then this will encourage the moderators to support this request. Thanks! ^
Old Apr 9, 2012, 5:19 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I have requested this functionality of IB for over two years... but apparently the version of VBulletin they use only allows reported post notifications to go to mods via Email.

As Oliver says, I am sure the mod in question would have no problem answering any questions you have.

Not sure I would go as far as not allowing email from the admins.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I've just now gone into my profile to disable the option for admins to send me email. Hopefully this doesn't make it more painful for administrators to contact me regarding posts I've alerted.
Since we email you based upon what is in the email we receive, and not through FT, disabling that option will not make any difference to whether mods email you or not.

I think you forget we are volunteers, who fit this role around our other lives. Many of us deal with reported posts while we are on the move. I rarely respond to the originator of a reported post anyway, unless I feel there is a reason to do so - asking me to then log into FT to send that member a PM just makes it less likely they'll get a response from me at all as trying to move from email to PM on a smartphone is only slightly less painful than sticking a sharp stick in my eye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.