Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalk iphone app?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Flyertalk iphone app?

How about a Flyertalk iphone app that would streamline viewing and posting from mobile device like the Facebook iphone app? Can anyone put it together?

Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-2/100.07.76; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I (and many others) would prefer a mobile Flyertalk app that supports multiple mobile platforms, instead of one that only supports Cupertino's platform...
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:14 pm

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/UCHA1 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

What's wrong with the current WAP site?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 1:04 pm

I could do it. For iPhone, BB and WinMo, if there is any interest, and permission granted from the site owners.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:02 pm

+1

I currently have FT as a webapp (or shortcut or whatever it's called that starts up safari). If it could be made into a mobile site so everyone can use, that would be great. An even more optimized iPhone version would just be icing on the cake for all the Cupertino users.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by mrobert
I could do it. For iPhone, BB and WinMo, if there is any interest, and permission granted from the site owners.
I'm sure many of us would appreciate if you did

Multumesc!
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
it doesn't even need an app, just a good website, vB can make a very nice iphone/webkit app for mobiles, unlike this junk called a mobile site now.

if the admins read this and want an example of a near perfect mobile site PM me and I will reply, it is vB powered as well.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by wwta
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/UCHA1 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

What's wrong with the current WAP site?
It works... but it could be improved...

A greater WAP FT site would be nice ^^ (don't need an app)
Old Oct 26, 2009, 3:11 am

I am planning to develop an application which is aimed at people traveling a lot.
So, anything that is needed by them, is something I am willing to investigate.

Let me share some thoughts from both a developer and traveler point of view.

One of the more important aspects is the amount of data used.
I am often using my mobile data connection while roaming, and it does make a difference if I have to load 1Mb or 10Kb to view the same amount of information. Speed is also a factor here.

Usability is another factor.
It's one thing when I use a piece of software at the office or home.
In a crowded airport, having luggage and all kinds of things with me, I need a design that is easy and fast to navigate.

Internet access not being permanent, or easy to access while traveling, it makes sense for me to download/cache whatever interests me, and be able to read it later on, even if I no longer have internet access.

Also, I am not reading all the sections on the FT forums. I would like to simply see and load those that interest me.

----------------
Ok, so now we have interest on this one.

If anyone could point me in the direction of contacting a forum admin, that would be great. I could do something in a way that doesn't involve any effort or changes from their side. Just an agreement would be enough.

I have 10 years experience in the software industry, and 7 years since I run my own software and game development studio.

My current development devices include:
BlackBerry, iPod/iPhone, Windows Mobile.
I can make it happen on these ones.

Let's further debate this subject if there is interest.
Also, I would HIGHLY appreciate if you could tell me what mobile device are you using, to be able to get started on the most popular one.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous poster: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by mrobert
I am planning to develop an application which is aimed at people traveling a lot.
So, anything that is needed by them, is something I am willing to investigate.

Let me share some thoughts from both a developer and traveler point of view.

One of the more important aspects is the amount of data used.
I am often using my mobile data connection while roaming, and it does make a difference if I have to load 1Mb or 10Kb to view the same amount of information. Speed is also a factor here.

Usability is another factor.
It's one thing when I use a piece of software at the office or home.
In a crowded airport, having luggage and all kinds of things with me, I need a design that is easy and fast to navigate.

Internet access not being permanent, or easy to access while traveling, it makes sense for me to download/cache whatever interests me, and be able to read it later on, even if I no longer have internet access.

Also, I am not reading all the sections on the FT forums. I would like to simply see and load those that interest me.

----------------
Ok, so now we have interest on this one.

If anyone could point me in the direction of contacting a forum admin, that would be great. I could do something in a way that doesn't involve any effort or changes from their side. Just an agreement would be enough.

I have 10 years experience in the software industry, and 7 years since I run my own software and game development studio.

My current development devices include:
BlackBerry, iPod/iPhone, Windows Mobile.
I can make it happen on these ones.

Let's further debate this subject if there is interest.
Also, I would HIGHLY appreciate if you could tell me what mobile device are you using, to be able to get started on the most popular one.
Reporting in on BB Bold
Old Oct 28, 2009, 3:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
One vote for for Android (G1)
Old Oct 28, 2009, 5:34 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

If you'll all hold on a little while longer, you'll hear news of a specific iPhone app for FlyerTalk within the next few weeks. It is at Apple for app approval and I have it working on my 3GS. It will be co-branded to begin with but is fairly interesting and i think you'll all enjoy it. As well, not to slight anyone, the app will be available in BB form.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
If you'll all hold on a little while longer, you'll hear news of a specific iPhone app for FlyerTalk within the next few weeks. It is at Apple for app approval and I have it working on my 3GS. It will be co-branded to begin with but is fairly interesting and i think you'll all enjoy it. As well, not to slight anyone, the app will be available in BB form.

Thanks Randy
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:45 pm

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
this is such a great news!!!
looking forward to it and let me know if you need some beta testing :-)

cheers maclover
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:32 pm

Yay! can't wait. This will feed my addiction so I can browse and reply when traveling. It's hard to reply on the iPhone so I usually just limit myself to reading until my thumbs get tired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.