Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The new "Like" "button"

When you click on the "Like" button, it registers the handle of the user liking the post in a horizontal box immediately below the "Like" button. "Liking" a post also optionally sends a notification to the post owner. "Like" notifications appear in Your Control Panel in My FlyerTalk.

To turn the notification function on or off, look in Your Control Panel and Settings & Options under Messaging & Notification:

Likes Notifications:
  • Enable Likes Notifications
  • Disable Likes Notifications

NOTE: Editing a post causes the "Likes" to disappear for a short period of time. They are restored after that pause.

To report issues, problems etc. please visit this thread in the Technical Support and Feedback forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1863159-new-like-button-information-issues-discussion.html

LIST OF SUGGESTIONS, PROS and CONS discussed in thread:

Please add all your suggestions since implementation, August 9 2017:
  1. Modify Like button to take up less real estate - ie, put the button w/ the other buttons & likes under signatures or list only if hover
  2. Allow members to completely turn off the ability to see likes
  3. Use Helpful instead of Like
  4. Completely eliminate Like button
  5. Do not display handles of those who Liked the post

"Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts made in prior Talkboard thread, which had 700 posts. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input. When TalkBoard last polled FT members, the result of the poll was in favour of introducing likes (by a considerable margin)

Pros:
* Make Flyertalk more modern/more like Facebook, LinkedIn and many other social media sites
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* The value add of showing likes, helpful votes, etc. is that it can surface good content and get more views for it
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done (trial done last time it came up for discussion)
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it at all?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?"

IBobi responded to theses comments and questions here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28664495-post59.html

Print Wikipost

Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:16 pm

It's already become very irritating, with prominent and distracting notations such as
"Bob T, Mary G, Paul S, and Tammy P liked this".
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
Yes, please let us turn it off.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nsx
SanDiego1K will make all these decisions, subject to IB's ability to implement. I'm sure she reads and considers everything you write on the subject.

I believe that positive feedback will encourage members to make more posts that other members value. Any improvement in the tone of forums would be subtle. SanDiego1K is in the best position to sense that. I am intrigued by the possibility of trying this in OMNI/PR where any changes in posting behavior would be more readily apparent.
I have great respect & have faith in sandiego1k. Always have; always will. I know she always wants what's best for the FT community.

All forums already have posts that provide positive feedback already, whether it be actual comments that thank the posters, posts that say agree or +1. A like button isn't going to (IMO) suddenly create an influx of additional posts just because the person posting received a like. It's not like like is the first iteration of positive feedback ever known. If anything, it's just one more way of doing it - but as implemented, may be more of a turn-off based on the posts in this thread.

The win-win scenario I've outlined is, IMO, the best way to meet the needs of all FTers vs. just a subset, if like continues. Let those who like likes keep them; let those who don't want to see them opt out. Also means FTers don't have to do an end-run to eliminate seeing the likes.

Cheers.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I didn't....it's early in the morning for both of us...

"IBobi likes this."
Why?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Can you implement a like button ...it makes perfect sense to implement this.
It would make more sense for you to reply in words to the post that you like, explaining why you like it.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Agree w/ both.

So basically you're saying that this is here to stay, if IB is going to fix the (currently) lousy display of likes in a future update. If that's the case, is there any reason FTers should provide input here? It seems like it doesn't matter what we say.

How is it determined if the feature benefits FT? What measure specifically will be used? Complaints die down? Some might not bother providing input if they don't think it will really matter. Others might not complain, but just won't bother frequenting FT as much or provide content when they do, which would be a loss to FT (and a bit of irony that in trying to make FT more friendly it drives FTers away). I & other FTers truly are interested in what the measure of 'success' will be.

Also, we're still waiting for an explanation for why the Omnis have been excluded. It's been said likes can't be gamed, so there's no rational reason to exclude the Omnis. If there is a valid reason we would be interested in knowing what it is. Presumably including the Omnis would also help determine if likes is a success site wide.

While I don't think likes needs to be on FT (for reasons others have stated above), if likes were to continue the best solution - and a 'win-win' for all FTers is to do both a & b.

a) fix the horrible display of likes sooner rather than later
b) provide an opt-out. those who like likes can see them; those who don't want to have their viewing disrupted can read FT as they always have

Cheers.
It really can't be said any better than this. (Should I use the despised 'like' button)

Provide an opt out. Don't shove this down the throats of those who do not want it.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:36 am

I hate this. I don't go to flyertalk because facebook is somehow blocked for me.

The only benefit I could have seen is the "like" button making people more helpful or nicer. And I don't see that happening.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Let those who like likes keep them; let those who don't want to see them opt out. Also means FTers don't have to do an end-run to eliminate seeing the likes.

Cheers.
+1. I waited a few days before responding to give the new "Likes" a chance. I've seen this functionality used on another blog I participate in so I thought it would be OK here too. But it just distracts from the overall message imo. If given the chance to deactivate, I likely would. But it's not the end of the world if I can't turn it off.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:24 am

I initially 'disliked' the idea immediately, but in the span of a single day, I've changed my mind - I believe that it will be especially helpful in long-running threads with lots of background noise in between useful posts. Screen real estate is only a problem for me on mobile, and the feature doesn't appear to be implemented there.

If an opt-out process is technically feasible, I figure that would be ideal.
JonNYC, oliver2002, sxc and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Like would be really good, especially an anonymous one.
Not happening.

Is there an option to remove their visibility on the full desktop mode? Turning off seeing FT member signatures in posts is possible, or at least it used to be.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by synergistic
I initially 'disliked' the idea immediately, but in the span of a single day, I've changed my mind - I believe that it will be especially helpful in long-running threads with lots of background noise in between useful posts. Screen real estate is only a problem for me on mobile, and the feature doesn't appear to be implemented there.

On my phone it shows, but I am not in "mobile" view, which is different than turning on "desktop" mode in my browser. When I am in mobile mode on FT on my phone no icons show up, scrolling in threads is really annoying, and it is basically unuseable
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:35 pm

Why is not there a dislike button? Like slashdot, reddit
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:47 pm

...I'm now being asked how I managed to get rid of likes...
Many of us would like to disable the Likes feature.
Can the method for doing so be posted for us?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:18 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why is not there a dislike button? Like slashdot, reddit
Dare I say that such a potential conduit for negativity would be even worse than the reductionistic like button?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I initially 'disliked' the idea immediately, but in the span of a single day, I've changed my mind - I believe that it will be especially helpful in long-running threads with lots of background noise in between useful posts.
I'm curious why you think it will be helpful in that situation? My guess is that the "noise" posts are just as likely to be "like"d as the useful ones. Perhaps more so.

Also, since there is no way to view a thread that hides un-"like"d posts, how would it be helpful even if only the useful posts were "like"d?

Screen real estate is only a problem for me on mobile, and the feature doesn't appear to be implemented there.
I find it very distracting on my laptop.

I'd say turning the "like" feature off until a more carefully designed replacement is ready would be ideal, but an opt-out would be second best.

By "a more carefully designed replacement," I mean a feature that is likely to satisfy the goals and objectives. I don't know what the goals and objectives are. I've posted what I think they should be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.