Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > The Suggestion Box
Reload this Page >

Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The new "Like" "button"

When you click on the "Like" button, it registers the handle of the user liking the post in a horizontal box immediately below the "Like" button. "Liking" a post also optionally sends a notification to the post owner. "Like" notifications appear in Your Control Panel in My FlyerTalk.

To turn the notification function on or off, look in Your Control Panel and Settings & Options under Messaging & Notification:

Likes Notifications:
  • Enable Likes Notifications
  • Disable Likes Notifications

NOTE: Editing a post causes the "Likes" to disappear for a short period of time. They are restored after that pause.

To report issues, problems etc. please visit this thread in the Technical Support and Feedback forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1863159-new-like-button-information-issues-discussion.html

LIST OF SUGGESTIONS, PROS and CONS discussed in thread:

Please add all your suggestions since implementation, August 9 2017:
  1. Modify Like button to take up less real estate - ie, put the button w/ the other buttons & likes under signatures or list only if hover
  2. Allow members to completely turn off the ability to see likes
  3. Use Helpful instead of Like
  4. Completely eliminate Like button
  5. Do not display handles of those who Liked the post

"Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts made in prior Talkboard thread, which had 700 posts. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input. When TalkBoard last polled FT members, the result of the poll was in favour of introducing likes (by a considerable margin)

Pros:
* Make Flyertalk more modern/more like Facebook, LinkedIn and many other social media sites
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* The value add of showing likes, helpful votes, etc. is that it can surface good content and get more views for it
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done (trial done last time it came up for discussion)
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it at all?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?"

IBobi responded to theses comments and questions here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28664495-post59.html

Print Wikipost

Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:54 pm

The FlyerTalk Global Announcement states: "Feel free to discuss this (Like) feature in an existing thread in the Suggestion Box forum".

Hopefully the purpose of inviting discussion is to see if this Like feature is being experienced by members as liked/disliked/enlightening/obtrusive/community-building/annoying - and to potentially remove it/change it/make it optional.

Many of us have been saying: Make it optional. Those who enjoy the feature can use it; those who find it to be obtrusive and distracting can forgo it.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by muji
The FlyerTalk Global Announcement states: "Feel free to discuss this (Like) feature in an existing thread in the Suggestion Box forum".

Hopefully the purpose of inviting discussion is to see if this Like feature is being experienced by members as liked/disliked/enlightening/obtrusive/community-building/annoying - and to potentially remove it/change it/make it optional.

Many of us have been saying: Make it optional. Those who enjoy the feature can use it; those who find it to be obtrusive and distracting can forgo it.
I will be very surprised if it is made optional.
IBobi likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Just accept it and move on already
iluv2fly and oliver2002 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
For every person moaning here about nothing, there are a thousand members who are unaffected or have more important things in life to worry about.

Okay - the like could be improved easily by placing it next to the other buttons, but I bet several who have moaned here still have signatures showing?!
oliver2002 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:00 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Personally I think that unless it can be moved down to the row with Quote and News and the like, it should be removed. There are enough different UI elements in the screen and the Like button and associated list of who liked a post are making FT even less consumable.

I don't see a reasons to just "move on". While there are many users who aren't commenting, the same could be said about the percentage who ever voted for TB or the percentage who comment on anything.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:45 am

Move on can mean different things, depending on the poster. If IB doesn't want the feedback, they can ignore it.

As far as I know, I don't have a signature. So not relevant.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:48 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
For every person moaning here about nothing, there are a thousand members who are unaffected or have more important things in life to worry about.

Okay - the like could be improved easily by placing it next to the other buttons, but I bet several who have moaned here still have signatures showing?!
If one does not want to see signatures, one can opt out of seeing them by unchecking a box. One cannot opt out of seeing the like button.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Is anyone actually using it? Why insist on continuing to use a poorly designed, poorly thought-out feature if no one is using it?

I'm seeing maybe 2-3 likes on most threads which defeats any alleged benefit and just serves to be an annoyance when it is used.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Or, hide it with the CSS rule.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I dislike the like. Get rid of the bloody thing. It's obtrusive, takes up display space, and, most importantly, adds no value whatsoever to any conversation on FT.

It's a gimmick which dumbs down the site. Zero value-add.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
I dislike the like. Get rid of the bloody thing. It's obtrusive, takes up display space, and, most importantly, adds no value whatsoever to any conversation on FT.

It's a gimmick which dumbs down the site. Zero value-add.
+1 ^ Moving on.................. for now.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Ok, a quick review since like was enabled on FT on August 9th.

Parameters - I counted the posts on this thread since like was enabled on August 9th. I even included the maybes in the like part. If FTers (including myself & folk like JonNYC, etc) posted more than once I only counted our input once (which is what I did when I was a Talkboard member), unless the FTers changed their minds, which didn't happen in this case.

So results since August 9th when it got turned on & posted in this thread:

Those that like like (including the maybes) - 13.
That that don't like like - 40.

Obviously there are more that don't like like (especially in its current incarnation) than do. So if the announcement saying we want your input holds true, this input should definitely be taken into consideration.

And I would say to those who say to 'move on' - when did the minority decide for the majority?

I still stand by my initial point. I don't think like should be implemented, but if for some reason the CommunityDirector/IB decides it's important to keep it, then the following should be fixed/corrected:

* opt out - those who want to see likes can see them/those who don't won't. 'win-win' for everyone. why on earth would anyone be against a win-win?
* if it must stay, then fix it for crikey's sake - put the like in the button level & get the banner out of the middle of the posts. 'nuf said.

Cheers.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:08 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Thanks for quantifying the overwhelming opposition, SkiAdcock.

I'll reiterate that I think the like button is reductive, cheapens discussion, is distracting, and should be completely eliminated.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JonNYC
The whole purpose of this forum is to discuss suggestions.

And, of course, this is a message board, the purpose of which is to discuss various perspectives on travel. If we were all to "just accept [everything] and move on," what would be the purpose then?

Back on topic, if the like button could be moved down to the row with all the other buttons with the same look and feel, that could work. I would still prefer that just a number of likes would populate, rather than the box with who liked which post.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by anabolism
Or, hide it with the CSS rule.
I always intellectually "knew" that such an approach would be possible but never had the motivation to dig into it and learn about local style-sheets. Thank you all for pushing me to learn something new today!

It is even possible to implement a local blink style making that like button really stand out in true Netscape 1 fashion!

Last edited by intuition; Aug 17, 2017 at 1:29 am Reason: got second thoughts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.