Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > The Suggestion Box
Reload this Page >

File hosting policy for spreadsheets etc. UPDATE: Internet Brands added function

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Adding or attaching files to your post

Please see instructions on adding / attaching files and images to your post in the Technical Support and Feedback forum here:

How to add or embed a file or image / photo in a post (link)

Print Wikipost

File hosting policy for spreadsheets etc. UPDATE: Internet Brands added function

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2017, 5:12 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
This wasn't my request, but I would imagine that you would want .xls and .xlsx, maybe .doc and .docx.
A case could probably be made for including open source variants, such as .ods for spreadsheets and .odt for documents, but I don't know that it is actually necessary, given that every spreadsheet application that I am aware of can read and write to the MS format. The same is likely true for documents. However, the reverse is not necessarily true, and would potentially leave users of MS Office unable some files.

Just my 2 cents.
Certainly .xls & .xlsx. The things I've seen (and the one that I have) are spreadsheets, and I've mostly seen Excel, although there are likely Open Office variants as well.

Cheers.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
/Forum mod hat off

I'm enthused. Members like brp and BlondeBomber have given significant time and effort in creating some spreadsheet tools enthusiastically embraced by FlyerTalkers. We lost some very useful tools FTers used when FewMiles, our Canadian member who originally documented the AA status challenge and other heretofore "secret" benefits, let his site lapse (costs and msuntenance, I suspect); offering hosting of those tools would IMO incent generous members who'd like to share and add value to FlyerTalk.

Some limit such as 90/90 would inspire more confidence, and I'm guessing .xls, .xlsx, .doc, .docx and .pdf would suffice.

/Dons hat again

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 20, 2017 at 1:36 pm Reason: Correct post error to .pdf
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:12 am
Community Director Emerita

Thanks, IBobi for your offer of Internet Brand help.

Originally Posted by JDiver
Some limit such as 90/90 would inspire more confidence, and I'm guessing .xls, .xlsx, .doc, .docx and .pdf would suffice.
This sounds reasonable to me. Let's move forward with these guidelines and posting formats.

Carol

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 20, 2017 at 1:36 pm Reason: Correct JDiver post error
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:55 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
I have made .doc, ,docx, and .pdf 180/180 (we do not have anything set up as 90/90 currently so I could not do that), and giving access to the following:

Mods
Admins
Sr. Mods
Omni
CC

Please test.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:55 pm

Mike will need to add .xls and .xlsx as they are not currently supported file types at all.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:17 pm

Thanks, IBobi.

(Wikiposts are 90/90, but if that's not a transferable parameter IMO, 180/180 would be OK I'd think if 90/90 is a hassle.)
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:28 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks, IBobi.

(Wikiposts are 90/90, but if that's not a transferable parameter IMO, 180/180 would be OK I'd think if 90/90 is a hassle.)
I think that, by 90/90 people are still learning more than being likely to have things to share. So, I don't see an issue here.

Originally Posted by IBobi
Mike will need to add .xls and .xlsx as they are not currently supported file types at all.
Thanks iBobi. As soon as the .xlsx is done I can give this a spin, and do it via a mod if necessary.

Cheers.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:23 am

I see the Travel Tools forum as being a good place to post spreadsheets to be shared.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I see the Travel Tools forum as being a good place to post spreadsheets to be shared.
That's one approach, though it may be worth considering that spreadsheets, etc. often relate to specific airlines or hotel chains, such as brp's spreadsheet for AAdvantage EQM, EQD, Award Miles or BlondeBomber's hotel spreadsheets if he's still creating them - might have fairly narrow audiences.

Either way, we can always have threads in travel provider fora that link to the specific threads in Travel Tools.

I see PDF are already supported by the "Manage Attachments" advanced post functions menu, so merely adding the .xls etc. as permitted attachments (with concomitant sizes limits) would technically allow these in all fora.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:18 pm

File types should all be working as indicated (new ones limited to 180/180 or admin/mod users).
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:18 pm

File types should all be working as indicated (new ones limited to 180/180 or admin/mod users).
Perfect! I see this is via the Advanced Post Functions "Manage Attachments" menu (tap / click on Edit in any post, then on "Go Advanced"). Easy, fits with everything else we do, and it works. Than you!

Members: for instructions on adding / attaching files and images to your post can be seen in the Technical Support and Feedback forum here:

How to add or embed a file or image / photo in a post (link)

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 21, 2017 at 4:59 pm Reason: Add link
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and if there are problems assigning requirements, maybe some could be tied in to wikis?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:56 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I finally got a chance to post my spreadsheet, and I see that the limits for .xls, .xlsx are very small (200 KB) while other files are up to 7 MB. For spreadsheets, this is too small and will limit this to all but the simplest spreadsheets. Mine, for example (with the equations and support data, and minimal sample data) comes in at almost 700 KB.

May I suggest increasing the limits to be closer to that of the various image formats?

Cheers.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by brp
I finally got a chance to post my spreadsheet, and I see that the limits for .xls, .xlsx are very small (200 KB) while other files are up to 7 MB. For spreadsheets, this is too small and will limit this to all but the simplest spreadsheets. Mine, for example (with the equations and support data, and minimal sample data) comes in at almost 700 KB.

May I suggest increasing the limits to be closer to that of the various image formats?
@IBobi
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.