Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > The Suggestion Box
Reload this Page >

Issues with travel agent on FT

Old Mar 4, 2017, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

There's a thread (now closed) in the Luxury forum about some very bad experiences that a number of people on FT have had with the same travel agent. The guy is a member of FT and apparently solicited business for himself through PMs.

This raises the question in the minds of at least several people about FT policy in such situations. In particular, should FT members be allowed to solicit business on FT? [It's apparently currently allowed, although of course new FT members can only send limited number of PMs. Also, the extent to which the guy solicited business for himself on FT isn't clear--there could be additional similar stories.]

There's also a second thread in Luxury about how independent contractor travel agents and Virtuoso etc. work. There's been a bit of discussion regarding solicitations on FT and whether it's proper for the travel agent to do so.

Moving beyond the context of luxury travel services, there could also be a more general policy matter of whether FT members should be allowed to solicit business for themselves (as service providers or salespeople for goods and services beyond the travel sphere) on FT via PM or other methods.

Someone said today that there was once a thread about suggestions and recommendations for Virtuoso agents, but apparently it wasn't very effective in providing ratings or information about client experiences with various agencies and agents, including those who are FT members.

ADDED: At this point, I'm not attempting to make a suggestion, but just to raise the issue and put it on the CD's radar. Maybe others already have opinions about whether there should be consideration of a change in policy.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 4, 2017 at 3:12 pm
Old Mar 4, 2017, 11:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
FT members are very limited in what they can do to solicit others' business already. For reference, the Rules:

10. Commercial Posts

Posts of a commercial nature on FlyerTalk are limited to the following:

Signatures that specifically relate to your travel-related ventures (this does not include credit cards), once you have achieved both 180 posts and 180 days as a member of FlyerTalk.

Travel-industry related professionals who have received official recognition by the Community Director and therefore identified by green-colored usernames.

All other posts of a commercial nature – whether in a post, signature or profile – are prohibited. In this rule, commercial posts include those containing promotional messages for commercial products or services, including but not limited to internet sites and business advertisements.

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.

and

19. Private Messages, Emails And FlyerTalk Chat

The FlyerTalk private messaging, email and chat systems are subject to the same rules as FlyerTalk posts. If you have received a message that you believe violates the rules, contact a moderator or senior moderator. The posting or otherwise sharing of a private communication, such as an email or private message without the author's permission, whether on FlyerTalk or elsewhere, is not permitted.

Those who receive commercial solicitations by PM should report them as indicated above.

JDiver, Co-Moderator
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I can tell you there is one that constantly plugs their services in any thread where someone asks for a hotel recommendation. They are a Virtuoso agent and do so by listing all the "benefits" of using one.

Except many, if not all, of those benefits are available through some premium credit cards which we already have.

While they are not directly saying "call me", it's in the profile listing andtheir signature (I believe) indicates they're an agent. It looks like they're just skirting on the edge of a TOS violation.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I can tell you there is one that constantly plugs their services in any thread where someone asks for a hotel recommendation. They are a Virtuoso agent and do so by listing all the "benefits" of using one.

Except many, if not all, of those benefits are available through some premium credit cards which we already have.

While they are not directly saying "call me", it's in the profile listing andtheir signature (I believe) indicates they're an agent. It looks like they're just skirting on the edge of a TOS violation.
If you can provide more detail to the Moderators we can follow up with our Senior Moderator colleagues or Admin, as appropriate.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:20 am

I created the thread referenced by the OP that is now closed. Much to my chagrin.

Attached is the PM I received [removed name of FT'er and copy of the Private Message per http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#messaging ]

For the record, he was not the only one that solicited me. I'm not sure how I feel about that but if it's against the TOS then it should be enforced.

I probably have a worse outlook on that now than I did back in September. Especially due to some recent developments since that thread was closed in regards to [redacted] business practices.

If the mods have any questions for me, let me know.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 7, 2017 at 12:12 pm Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#messaging
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:19 pm

We will close this thread and take it under advisement for forwarding to the Community Director at this time. Please feel free to provide further information by PM to the Moderators.

For signatures and information provided about one's own travel business, thd Rules offer:

Except for credit card sign-up offers, signatures that specifically relate to your travel-related commercial ventures are allowed. Other commercial signatures are not allowed.
Thank you for your concerns.

cblaisd and JDiver, co-Moderators

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 8, 2017 at 9:26 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.