Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report your Platinum Upgrade Failures

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:44 pm

Programs: SPG Pt.
Le meridien cyberport(Hong Kong). Since there are only two suites in the hotel, don't ever think about it. No executive lounge in this property as well. You can only get a slightly bigger room.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist, United Silver
US GRANT San Diego - 7/18-7/20. Booked award night & cash/points night in lowest category (deluxe) and that is what we received. We must have been put in one of the dumpier rooms in the joint-- very small; our windows looked into the bedroom and bathroom windows of the the rooms across the way. No privacy. Very weird-- but I guess this is the way they built hotels in the 1800s.

No cleaning of the room on the 1st day, despite 2 calls to the front desk requesting cleaning service.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:19 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I hope that # of post here will not surpass # of the post of the upgrade success story.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Tak
I hope that # of post here will not surpass # of the post of the upgrade success story.
One thing is for certain: some of the SAME hotels will appear in BOTH threads!
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:06 am

Just checked into Four Points, Beirut. The hotel refused to provide rooms at the corporate rate, but I decided to stay with Sheraton in anticipation for some Platinum benefits (booked at rack rate through Platinum override).

All I got was the 500 amenity points. Nothing else as they claim that they are full..
Old Jul 22, 2009, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by ashu
Just checked into Four Points, Beirut. The hotel refused to provide rooms at the corporate rate, but I decided to stay with Sheraton in anticipation for some Platinum benefits (booked at rack rate through Platinum override).

All I got was the 500 amenity points. Nothing else as they claim that they are full..
Oh well.

You don't think that they were full but you had to use Platinum override and pay for a rack rate?

Sounds like poor planning for me.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I don't think I should call this a "Platinum Upgrade Failure" but it almost seems like a failure, so I shall describe it below.

Sheraton Heathrow's 'club rooms' seem identical to their normal room, making the upgrade somewhat pointless (although you do get the club lounge access as a platinum), unless you want a Sheraton alarm clock (which is the club room amenity).

One good thing is that they do seem to consistently be able to offer a club room to platinums - I haven't had a single occasion when I did not get one since I became a platinum. It's just a bit of a pity that I can't see any difference between their Club Room and standard room.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

One good thing is that they do seem to consistently be able to offer a club room to platinums - I haven't had a single occasion when I did not get one since I became a platinum. It's just a bit of a pity that I can't see any difference between their Club Room and standard room.
I've had mixed experience here. I've had the better Exec rooms with sitting area, plus club rooms. The last few times I have stayed I've had no upgrade at all, despite rooms being available. Just excuses on the front desk that they can't change what had been pre-allocated, but yes club rooms were available etc. It wasn't worth making an issue of for exactly the reasons you mentioned - they are just the same rooms. I did make the hotel management aware that I felt they needed to ensure they were consistent in their Plat delivery. (No comp water in the un-upgraded rooms, so had to ask on my last two stays for this) Had no response from them about it and it was too minor to make a follow-up about.

Usually a pretty decent property though.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:37 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by ashu

Just as an FYI, if you exercise your 72-hour Platinum override, the upgrade benefit does not apply.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 22, 2009, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Just as an FYI, if you exercise your 72-hour Platinum override, the upgrade benefit does not apply.
And by golly, that's even mentioned in the T&Cs of the SPG program (under 4C.5):

b. If a Platinum Member attempts to book a room at least 72 hours prior to 3pm (hotel time) on day of intended arrival, and the participating property is sold out, the property shall make a standard room available at the regular (RACK) or Mandatory rate. BLACK OUT DATES APPLY AND RESORT PROPERTIES AND CERTAIN HOTELS ARE EXCLUDED. Upgrade benefit and Free Night Award redemption does not apply when this benefit is utilized. This benefit is restricted to 1 room per Member. Minimum length of stay requirements, if any, for the participating property must be met. The following properties do not participate in this benefit. We reserve the right to change this list from time to time without notice. We endeavor to keep this list up to date, but you should contact your regional Customer Contact Center for the most current information.
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...g_terms.html#7
Old Jul 22, 2009, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by lardiop
Ottawa/Gatineau is an interesting area for Plats.

The local Sheraton has no upgrades other than club floors that I know of, the Westin is undergoing renovation and I've never received a suite of any kind with 10+ stays this year.

The FP across the river in Gatineau has no suites as well, just a few 'SPG Preferred Rooms' which are slightly larger corner rooms on a high floor.
Yet my experience is the opposite.

I have always been upgraded to one of their best, club level rooms at the Sheraton. They only have two suites, on the top floor, both huge, and I have even ocassionally been upgraded to one of them.

At the Westin, I don't think I have never failed to be upgraded to a suite, whether paid, on points or even C&P.

I have never had reason to stay at the 4P across the river.

Cheers,
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Ah thanks William...! I think I mixed this up with another booking. I checked and found that I had booked through the website, and used BRG to bring the room rate down from 270 to 250...!

Seems that now the website shows no availability for the next few months !!
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
And by golly, that's even mentioned in the T&Cs of the SPG program (under 4C.5):

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...g_terms.html#7

I learn something new about the program (almost) every day...
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, 1 for 6 stays for upgrade - very few suites on this property (stay here sometimes when rate is much better than financial district), on the flip side 9 for 10 upgrades at Westin Market Street (very nice suites with great views, highly recommend as a suite upgrade property), and 2 for 5 upgrades at Palace Hotel
Old Jul 23, 2009, 7:35 am

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
Originally Posted by Flews
Yet my experience is the opposite.

I have always been upgraded to one of their best, club level rooms at the Sheraton. They only have two suites, on the top floor, both huge, and I have even ocassionally been upgraded to one of them.

At the Westin, I don't think I have never failed to be upgraded to a suite, whether paid, on points or even C&P.

I have never had reason to stay at the 4P across the river.

Cheers,
I always get an upgrade to the SPG floors (15/16/17) at the Sheraton Ottawa. Never the 2 big suites. (I do love this hotel however, the staff is amazing)

The standard 'upgrade' for me at the Westin has been a recently renovated room, never seen the inside of a suite there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.