Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Iguazu, Argentina per 2007 reports [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Iguazu, Argentina per 2007 reports [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2001, 3:36 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Arrow Sheraton Iguazu, Argentina per 2007 reports [Master Thread]

Just stayed at the Sheraton Iguazu Resort in Argentina. This is really the only property to stay at if you want to be within walking distance of the falls, walking trails and tours. There is, quite literally, nothing else around for miles. You really are in the South American jungle, so don't plan on more than 2 nights here since you only really need a day or two at the most. We flew up from Buenos Aires in the afternoon and returned the following day. 24 hours was perfect for us.

About the hotel and its services:
You get a free buffet breakfast with every rate. It was quite sufficient, offering cold and hot foods.

I used just 4000 starpoints for my free overnight. The board on the wall showed a rack rate of $240 for view rooms. I recall the website showing $140 for advance reserved rooms. 4000 was pretty minimal since I have quite a few.

There are 2 restaurants and a disco(open Thursday and Saturday only). There is also a business center with internet access(35 cents/minute) and a photocopier.

There is a nice outdoor, heated pool and an indoor spa, sauna and fitness center.

The ride from the Iguazu airport(in Argentina) is about 15 minutes and $15. You must also pay $13 to enter the national park. Then, another $15 back to the airport.

There is NO ATM in the hotel and they will not cash checks, so be sure you have enough cash for miscellaneous things(tours, cab fare back to airport, etc.). The nearest ATM is about 12 miles away in the town(Port Iguazu).

We were running low on cash and had to get a cab there for more $$$. Our driver was very nice and took us to 3 different ones before we finally got cash! We even stopped in a supermarket for some snacks and bought some postcards at a shop. He was very polite and waited patiently (I doubt he had anything else to do, anyway). Our roundtrip ride was $35, so we were sure to get PLENTY of cash to hold us over. But I digress....

Despite being Platinum, I got a 1st floor room (property has 3 floors). It did have a view of the falls and jungle, but that much was confirmed in advance anyway. I overheard someone inquiring about a suite upgrade and he was told they were available if he wanted to pay extra or use Starpoints. I was disappointed when arriving in my room to find it was quite standard, despite suites apparently being available.

I did not receive a 'confectionary gift', either.

When I asked for a 4pm checkout, they would not allow it because they were "overbooked" the next day and would need the room. I thought this was a guaranteed benefit, but didn't have the fine print with me or feel like arguing. I called the next morning and asked again, and the friendly rep allowed it.

The hotel, from the outside, could use a paint job. It is white, but clearly worn from the weather. I believe they recently rennovated the rooms, so maybe the exterior is going to be done soon.

Overall, I recommend it as a place to stay when wanting to visit Iguazu Falls - one of the Worlds wonders. They make Niagra look like a wading pool. You can go over to the Brazillian side, but there aren't any Starwood properties there! Don't expect any special treatment you might find in a metropolitan property.
Old Jan 7, 2001, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
PHL said:

This is really the only property to stay at if you want to be within walking distance of the falls, walking trails and tours. There is, quite literally, nothing else around for miles.
On the Argy side, Yes. The elegant Hotel Cataracas on the Brazil side does however leave it for dead IMHO. From the Brazil side where I spent last Xmas Day the Sheraton being white really is very visually intrusive. As you say, a paint job is about overdue and one hopes a muted colour more in keeping with the jungle setting might be considered!

Photo of the Falls here, and as you say, kills Niagara.

www.GlenStephens.com/penguin.html

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 01-07-2001).]
Old Jun 9, 2001, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I just reserved a couple of nights here right after New Year's Day, 2002. Can anybody tell me the approximate number of flights per day from Buenos Aires and an estimate of the cost? Will I need to buy tickets before I leave the States or can this be done in Argentina after we arrive?

------------------
Jeff
Old Jun 10, 2001, 12:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
There are about 5 flights a day by Aerolineas Argentinas, LAPA, and Austral between the Aeroparque (Forge Newberry), which is the downtown Buenos Aires Airport and Iguassu Falls. I paid around $300 for round-trip tickets on LAPA. As you are going around New Year's keep in mind that this is the height of the Argentine summer (Iguassu will be HOT) and is also the busiest holiday travel time for the Argentines. Although you might(?) be able to save some cash by purchasing in Argentina you may not be able to get a flight due to the demand.

If you are going to another destination in Argentina be sure to look at the Argentine Air Pass offered by LAPA and Aerolineas. You could save some money by using one of those. You would need to buy one of these from the US before leaving.

[This message has been edited by SNA1K (edited 06-10-2001).]
Old Jun 10, 2001, 9:32 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wow... didnt know that there was a Sheraton at Iguazu. By the way, the city airport in Buenos Aires is Jorge Newberry.
Old Jun 10, 2001, 11:33 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 2 Million Miler Star Gold, AA Million Miler, Exec Plat
Interesting...I happened to stay there in April on a whim and used Starwood points (6,000 for a weekend + 4000 for a third night) and was upgraded to a suite as well as given a bottle of wine and basket of fruit complimentary.

The only reason I can think of (regarding the non-upgrade you encountered) was that the wing the suites are on were being renovated just as we were there so perhaps they are in a state of repainting?

It is definitely THE place to stay when visiting the falls although the Argentina side has much to learn from Brazil on how to run a visitors center...

Mike

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by PHL:
Just stayed at the Sheraton Iguazu Resort in Argentina. This is really the only property to stay at if you want to be within walking distance of the falls, walking trails and tours. There is, quite literally, nothing else around for miles. You really are in the South American jungle, so don't plan on more than 2 nights here since you only really need a day or two at the most. We flew up from Buenos Aires in the afternoon and returned the following day. 24 hours was perfect for us.

About the hotel and its services:
You get a free buffet breakfast with every rate. It was quite sufficient, offering cold and hot foods.

I used just 4000 starpoints for my free overnight. The board on the wall showed a rack rate of $240 for view rooms. I recall the website showing $140 for advance reserved rooms. 4000 was pretty minimal since I have quite a few.

There are 2 restaurants and a disco(open Thursday and Saturday only). There is also a business center with internet access(35 cents/minute) and a photocopier.

There is a nice outdoor, heated pool and an indoor spa, sauna and fitness center.

The ride from the Iguazu airport(in Argentina) is about 15 minutes and $15. You must also pay $13 to enter the national park. Then, another $15 back to the airport.

There is NO ATM in the hotel and they will not cash checks, so be sure you have enough cash for miscellaneous things(tours, cab fare back to airport, etc.). The nearest ATM is about 12 miles away in the town(Port Iguazu).

We were running low on cash and had to get a cab there for more $$$. Our driver was very nice and took us to 3 different ones before we finally got cash! We even stopped in a supermarket for some snacks and bought some postcards at a shop. He was very polite and waited patiently (I doubt he had anything else to do, anyway). Our roundtrip ride was $35, so we were sure to get PLENTY of cash to hold us over. But I digress....

Despite being Platinum, I got a 1st floor room (property has 3 floors). It did have a view of the falls and jungle, but that much was confirmed in advance anyway. I overheard someone inquiring about a suite upgrade and he was told they were available if he wanted to pay extra or use Starpoints. I was disappointed when arriving in my room to find it was quite standard, despite suites apparently being available.

I did not receive a 'confectionary gift', either.

When I asked for a 4pm checkout, they would not allow it because they were "overbooked" the next day and would need the room. I thought this was a guaranteed benefit, but didn't have the fine print with me or feel like arguing. I called the next morning and asked again, and the friendly rep allowed it.

The hotel, from the outside, could use a paint job. It is white, but clearly worn from the weather. I believe they recently rennovated the rooms, so maybe the exterior is going to be done soon.

Overall, I recommend it as a place to stay when wanting to visit Iguazu Falls - one of the Worlds wonders. They make Niagra look like a wading pool. You can go over to the Brazillian side, but there aren't any Starwood properties there! Don't expect any special treatment you might find in a metropolitan property.
</font>
Old Jun 11, 2001, 8:13 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
ILuvParis -

I booked our flights on Lapa via Travelocity, so I was sent paper tickets in advance. I highly recommend doing this in advance. I regret to say I don't remember how much we paid - I think about $250 RT. I doubt we would have done it for much more. I don't recall there being 5 flights per day, though. Check the city pairs: BUE to IGR.

It was very easy for us to leave the hotel in Buenos Aires and take a 10 minute cab ride to the city airport(BUE).

Just heed my note in the original description - carry enough cash for the time you'll be there as there is no ATM for miles. The tour operators do take credit cards, so you shouldn't need to carry a whole lot - enough for the cab and park entrace free, plus some discretionary $$$ should be fine.
Old Jun 11, 2001, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
As usual, you have been most helpful. It is great to have you all as a resource, especially when travelling to destinations most people never even think of going to.

------------------
Jeff
Old Jun 11, 2001, 4:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
PHL--I double checked and there are 5 flights a day, three different airlines.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Iguazu (AR) Sheraton - US$89 cheap as it gets?

Is USD 89 (prepaid, $100 non-prepaid) as cheap as it gets at this property? Any chances of getting lower rates locally? How does it treat Gold members?
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
Is USD 89 (prepaid, $100 non-prepaid) as cheap as it gets at this property? Any chances of getting lower rates locally? How does it treat Gold members?</font>
Rates are much lower, and include airfare from Buenos Aires. 3 day 2 night packages for 300 dollars inclusive of airfare are easily available at least 3 months ago.

I think you could get the rate locally for $50-75 per night once down there. The only thing to note is that there are a lot of Argentines on vacation right now, all over the beaches any way, and Iguazu does not qualify on that end.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Who do you recommend dealing with in Bs As? The trip is in early March and that should be after the Argentinos' beach season.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 12:41 pm

Not sure if the policy has changed, but the Sheraton only offered the lower rates to Argentine citizens when I was there in April. There are lots of other hotels that are much cheaper and fine for a two night stay.

The view from and the walkways on the Brazilian side are more spectacular in any case, and many folks prefer the Cataratas hotel in the park on the Brazilian side. However, the "gran aventura" tour on the Argentine side gets you up close and personal (i.e., incredibly drenched) with the waterfalls. Highly recommended (although you can skip the jungle tour as it is a waste of time). Only downside with getting to the Brazilian side is the required tourist visa, which currently costs upwards to USD100. Of course, there are ways around this. You can hire a taxi from Puerto Iguazu for about $15-$20 and your driver may be able offer a friendly tip to the immigration folks. No guarantee though.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 2:32 pm

I got 85 USD a night last month with some "Visa Deals" rate via Starwood website. It was not prepaid. VAT was 25% I think and not included in the 85 USD. I feel that 85 USD was about all it was worth.

I actually saved by not getting a package deal from a BA agent and doing airfare only (purchased down there) and doing the hotel booking myself. It was hard work though. The package deals were going for about 350 USD for the 3-day/2-night air+hotel, cheaper if you don't want the Sheraton.

The hotel didn't give a hoot about gold, so forget your upgrade to the preferred falls view room. Honestly though, by the time we were done walking around and doing stuff, it was nearly dark anyway and the view room wouldn't have mattered much.

The 10am checkout time at the Sheraton was outrageous. I had to really fight to get 11am. But room service, the hotel restaurant, and the minibar prices are all steals given the currency situation.

Fallinasleep got it almost right with the visa issue. There are heavy checks leaving and entering Argentina, and wavethroughs on the Brazilian enter/exit. There's no tipping the Brazilian authorities--you are just betting on the usual wavethrough. We did and got away with it (my driver requested that I sit in the back seat though as I was too "white" and might cause an issue being stopped).
Old Jan 15, 2003, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the replies (please feel free to chime in). If stopped for a visa, at least it is only one of us (Canadian - not sure what the current fee is). My GF should have her Austrian passport by then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.