Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Hoboken [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
I'm not one to be wowed by W - my preference is value for money without phony schmaltz. Accordingly, I booked the W Hoboken when they offered a $116 government rate for a non-City view room, around $150 less than the government rate in Manhattan. Plus, the hotel was participating in the 3K Sunday New York region bonus. And it's an easy $1.75 PATH subway ride from midtown, then a 10-minute walk.

I called the hotel Sunday morning to see if they could pre-block a view room as a Platinum upgrade. They said they'd do their best, but I detected a bit of attitude. My quest wasn't helped by a 10:30 p.m. check-in, following an evening with friends across the river.

Maybe they did pre-block me to an 11th floor room facing southeast, a couple of rooms away from the river end. This appears to be the 9th highest of 14 guest floors. I tried for a higher floor, either side of the hotel, but no dice. Perhaps no rooms were available, and the front desk underlined that I'd already been upgraded away from the non-City room (of which there are only 2 per floor, vs. 12 partial riverview rooms and 2 riverfront suites).

On the plus side, my room was close to the river, with a nice view of the restored 103-year-old Lackawanna railroad station and ferry terminal, complete with an Erie sign recognizing that former railroad. The station tower is nicely illuminated after dark. Beyond lay lower Manhattan, Liberty Island, and part of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. To the southwest lies one of several huge 1950s-ugly parking garages where Manhattanites store their vehicles for long periods, a major source of revenue for Hoboken.

Perhaps W doesn't do personalized room greetings, trinkets, or chocolates on the pillow, as there were none. There was an $8 (!) bottle of Fiji water. A search for a free bottle turned up positive in the bathroom, an unusual location. There were bathrobes, a minibar, and a brightly illuminated snack tray, which served its purpose by capturing $5 of my revenue for a fruit and nut bar (the light could be turned off to aid sleep). A card said coffee was free in the lounge in the morning, or you could specially request a coffeemaker.

Free internet, of course, while the round sofa and river-angled window are nice design features. The lower window partially opens, which is important. The room is quite spacious.

I didn't have time to visit the high floor lounge, eat breakfast in the riverfront restaurant, or view the fitness facilities, but I'm sure they're nice. The morning coffee was at the front desk, not the lounge, and didn't taste thrilling. Delivery of toiletries was prompt but not quite accurate.

All in all, I'd probably stay there again if the price was right, or if I was able to score an upgraded riverfront suite on points, or at a half-decent price (not the $300-plus the hotel charges most people for most rooms).

Last edited by Explore; Oct 16, 2010 at 9:26 am
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:22 pm

I stayed 6 nights at this hotel. phenomenal property. i regretted all my past expensive stays in Manhattan. if you don't mind the 15 or 20 min train ride to Manhattan then this is the place to stay at. Beautiful property. bright rooms. and very expensive view of Manhattan. hotel was 100% full for the first two nights of my stay so no suite upgrade is available, however for the remaining 4 nights they put me in a fantastic suite. the room was very spacious. floor to ceiling windows provide excellent view of Hudson river and manhattan. Free Fiji water located in the bathroom. the suite is fantastic indeed. separate bed room and living room with Full very expensive View of the River and Manhattan. full bathroom in the bed room and 1/2 bathroom in living room. no free water in the suite. the FD manager sent me a personal hand written note thanking me for choosing the W and apologizing for not having me in a suite for the full 6 nights. he also sent some mixed nuts and 2 bottles of water with the note. his kindness and genuine attitude left me really speechless.

i would be more than happy to pay Manhattan rates for this hotel.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
Originally Posted by KSA_USA
I stayed 6 nights at this hotel. phenomenal property. i regretted all my past expensive stays in Manhattan. if you don't mind the 15 or 20 min train ride to Manhattan then this is the place to stay at. Beautiful property. bright rooms. and very expensive view of Manhattan. hotel was 100% full for the first two nights of my stay so no suite upgrade is available, however for the remaining 4 nights they put me in a fantastic suite. the room was very spacious. floor to ceiling windows provide excellent view of Hudson river and manhattan. Free Fiji water located in the bathroom. the suite is fantastic indeed. separate bed room and living room with Full very expensive View of the River and Manhattan. full bathroom in the bed room and 1/2 bathroom in living room. no free water in the suite. the FD manager sent me a personal hand written note thanking me for choosing the W and apologizing for not having me in a suite for the full 6 nights. he also sent some mixed nuts and 2 bottles of water with the note. his kindness and genuine attitude left me really speechless.

i would be more than happy to pay Manhattan rates for this hotel.
Just used another one of my free weekend nights at the W Hobooken (2nd time) for a little date night w/ the future Mrs. Flyinace2000.

We were upgraded to a suite (fantastic? wow?) 1610 (17th floor is the highest floor for hotel guests). Room was amazing. Nice entrance way leading to a large living room and dining room. Dining room has a table that opened up like a piano to reveal a game of checkers. The table also had hook ups for an iPod or music player. Music played throughout the suite. Each room (including the balcony) had a set of speakers and a volume control.

Off the dining room was a hanging ball chair and a wet bar and half bath. The room was separated from the living room by a lighted glass thing. The living room had a long desk with HDMI and computer hookups for the TV that was mounted to an adjustable wall mount. The other side had a very large built in couch.

The master bath had a shower barely enough room for 2 and a large tub. Great views of midtown and lower manhattan.

Old Dec 14, 2010, 8:36 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, AA-Plat
Just checked in

Hotel is amazing! It still has the new feel. Only complaint is I just checked in and was not given a platinum upgrade.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Anyone have any recent stay comments for this place? I am going to NYC for the first time for 3 nights in Oct and I booked this hotel on points. I didnt want to spend more than 12k per night and the few options right in the city that were 10k-12k point redemption had a lot of mixed reviews (small rooms, bad area, etc). Nothing was available for cash and points anywhere or I would have chose that option to stay in NYC. We will take public trans into the city each day. I know its not the ideal location for a first timer to NYC, but I wanted a guaranteed good view room which I got and a decent shot at a suite upgrade.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by millere2
Anyone have any recent stay comments for this place? I am going to NYC for the first time for 3 nights in Oct and I booked this hotel on points. I didnt want to spend more than 12k per night and the few options right in the city that were 10k-12k point redemption had a lot of mixed reviews (small rooms, bad area, etc). Nothing was available for cash and points anywhere or I would have chose that option to stay in NYC. We will take public trans into the city each day. I know its not the ideal location for a first timer to NYC, but I wanted a guaranteed good view room which I got and a decent shot at a suite upgrade.
Honestly most of the rooms have great views. If you want to secure a suite i recommend you email them and ask super nicely OR pony up the points to make it happen.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
I stayed here back on August 19-21 in a Fantastic Suite with simply the best views of Manhattan. Just for the views alone I think this is worth it. Last year I picked this property over all other W's and Starwoods in NYC, for one thing the cost was a little less but it's a fairly new hotel. The staff has always been great and I feel even if you are a first-timer to NYC this is a great choice. The PATH station is only a nice 5 minute walk away - and when I say nice you're walking along the Hudson with that view of Manhattan right there as you head on over to the station. From there it is only a 15 minute ride down to 33rd street with stops at Christopher, 9th, 14th, and 23rd.

One can always stay closer to the action in NYC if they wish, but I personally wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. It's my first choice when going to NYC and my most recent stay was even better than my very first stay here a year ago.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
Honestly most of the rooms have great views. If you want to secure a suite i recommend you email them and ask super nicely OR pony up the points to make it happen.
Since standard rooms seem to be lower floor rooms in NYC I didnt want to book a standard room and then checkin to the hotel and have them tell me they are full and end up on the 10th floor looking at building with no upgrade.

I will just leave the res as it is and then keep my eyes open for some C&P options in the city that may pop up as it gets closer. I am not really worried about a suite as much since we wont be in the room much so I will just shake the 8 ball when I checkin and see if it happens.

Originally Posted by stylo4444
One can always stay closer to the action in NYC if they wish, but I personally wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. It's my first choice when going to NYC and my most recent stay was even better than my very first stay here a year ago.
Thanks for the advice!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Hi everyone,

I'm planning a 5-night stay at the W Hoboken with my wife and two Singlepoints. We used to stay at the Court and Tuscany, but no longer obviously.

Considering the new Plat benefit for breakfast, is there a breakfast option located in the hotel as it doesn't look like any of the in-house eating establishments are open in the morning - or am I incorrect in this assumption ? If there is not a breakfast option, is there someplace around the hotel that would be easy to get to ?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Cheers,

Singlepoint
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
Plenty of breakfast options. Especially on washington street. a few blocks west. I can't recall the names but we used like one between 4th & 5th on washington. Made excellent pancakes & eggs.

I am taking my family to WHoboken for the weekend as well.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:08 am

Hoboken resident here:

Breakfast:
La Isla - Cuban place, get the Stuffed French toast. Wear loose fitting pants
Stacks - Pancake place. Pretty good
Court Street - Slightly more fancy, but epic brunch.
Anthony David's - Get the bourbon glazed donuts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
The in house restaurant was really wonderful (at decent prices) for b'fast when I stayed there. I hope they are still there?
Thanks for the heads up on the nearby eateries Flyinace2000 ^
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:25 am

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
The in house restaurant was really wonderful (at decent prices) for b'fast when I stayed there. I hope they are still there?
Thanks for the heads up on the nearby eateries Flyinace2000 ^

So bigguy, just to confirm, the in-house restaurant is open in the mornings for breakfast ? Does that include weekends ? Can anyone else confirm or deny this currently ? Logically then, this would be a good choice of amenity for Plats, no (assuming a stay of several days)?

Thanks also to everyone else for the other suggestions - they sound terrific !

Cheers,

Singlepoint
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I am guessing yes to all of your questions. But we do not know what the B'fast amenity for plat's will really be just yet.
With that being said the menu prices are very fair IMO-much cheaper than hotel resturant across the Hudson-and in nice weather there is a great patio with a killer view.
http://www.cornerstonerestaurants.com/zylo/menus.html
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Gold
Beware of the in room dining.

Last time I ordered breakfast at the hotel, an omelete and a smoothie, total was $25, plus tax and the mandatory 20% service charge it came out to $32. When I checked out I noticed the breakfast charge was $42 on my folio. I asked the hotel and they pulled the copy of the ticket and the server added another $10 tips on my receipt after I signed for it. It's really bad business practice. They credited it back but It left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.