Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

2018 Marriott/SPG/RC properties in Shanghai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Marriott/SPG/RC properties in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: marriott, USAir, JetBlue, Southwest, AA
Arrow Which hotel in Shanghai? [Master Thread]

We are planning our first trip to Shanghai at the end of April. We are Starwood members. Of these three Starwood properties, which one would you recommend the most: The Westin Bund Center, Le Royal Méridien, Sheraton Shanghai Hotel & Residences, Pudong. We are there solely as tourists for 3 nights. I booked on Starwood site, Sheraton is the least expensive property.
Anyone know of better deals. I got Westin Bund for 1750 a night CYN w/breakfast for 2 adults, Le Royal Meridien for 1700 CYN.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by buena40
I see some people think the Le Royal Meridien and Westin Bund are very similar. Any feedback for recent travelers to both properties?
I'm not sure if you read all the comments, but the stated preferences are more for LRM over the Westin Bund Center. Of course that's also due to upgrades for SPG Plat members to nice suites. You do not want to be in Pudong as a tourist because of traffic.

I've stayed at both hotels, plus the St. Regis over the past 2 years, and my preference is for LRM for location and room over the Westin. St. Regis is stuffier and location is poor.

We're going to Shanghai for vacation in July and I'm selecting to go with LRM on cash & points
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by buena40
I see some people think the Le Royal Meridien and Westin Bund are very similar. Any feedback for recent travelers to both properties?
LRM >> Westin Bund > SR Shanghai

(SR Shanghai should be ashamed and does nor deserve to call itself a SR.)
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:03 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
As bp888 said if you are there as a tourist don't even think about Pudong. Even though taxis are dirt cheap in Shanghai it takes time to get to the Puxi side every time you want to sightsee and everything you'll want to see is on the Puxi side. I strongly recommend the Royal Meridien as the best *wood option. it is perfectly located.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
For less expensive SPG option in puxi side, you can also consider Four Points Daning.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat
I haven't stayed in the Westin or St. Regis, but I really loved the LRM. Beautiful new hotel, great staff, and perfect location (really couldn't be more central to everything). As a Gold I got upgraded to a club floor room, and the club lounge is fantastic-- 5 story lounge (very high celings) on the 54th floor with a great view over to Pudong.

Definitely don't stay in Pudong (i.e. St. Regis) unless you plan on spending most of your time on that side of the river; it's further than it seems.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by bp888

I had a huge, fantastic suite at the Sheraton Pudong, but I was there for business in that area (the lounge on the top floor is also quite good). Wouldn't stay there if going as a tourist.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
The Westin Bund's location is good if you have business in the Bund Center. However, the LM is in the middle of the action.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
Totally agree.

Originally Posted by bp888

Old Jun 13, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP , SPG PLT, AMEX PLAT, HERTZ PC,
Going to Shanghai where should i stay???????

hey pretty new to Flyer talk so i am not sure if this has been asked.

i am going to shanghai on buisnes for a week and wanted to know the best hotel to stay at. my company will be paying the bill and have a $250 a night limit on a hotel so i can stay at either the st. regis, le merriddian, or westin.

which hotel should i stay at? i like to walk around and see the city, also my first time in shanghai so i would like to see the city.

thanks again for yoyr help

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 13, 2009 at 4:09 pm Reason: Merged into master thread; thanks to rdchen for link
Old Jun 13, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
If you would like to see the city I recommend Le Royal Meridien as it is located in Puxi, the side where all the major sights are located. I also like the hotel itself. Try to get a room with access to the club floor as the club is very nice.
The St. Regis is on the Pudong side, convenient for business but little else. Adn the Westin I believe is on the Bund, not quite as well located as the Royal Meridien.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
You might want to take a look these threads:

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai [Master Thread]

Westin Bund Centre Shanghai [Master Thread]

Which hotel in Shanghai? [Master Thread]

Shanghai: St. Regis [Master Thread]
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP , SPG PLT, AMEX PLAT, HERTZ PC,
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO GUYS.

i would like to keep this in the starwood thread as i am a platinum starwood memeber.

i am actually going to do something a little crazy and try to max my stays so i can secure platinum again.

gonna stay in

the westin
le merridian for 3 nights (read some great reviews on it)
sherratton one night
st. regis one night
and back to the westin

any1 think i am nutz ...lol

i get 500 points everytime i check in and all places fit in my budget.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:05 pm

Programs: S.E, Preferred Select, SPG Platinum
Shanghai which SPG property for 1 night stay

Hi I will be staying in Shanghai for 23hrs while traveling back home to North America from my honeymoon.

Which SPG property do you recommend to stay at so I can see/experience the most of the city's sights and sounds.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 21, 2009 at 9:34 pm Reason: Moved into master thread
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'd recommend the Le Méridien. We stayed there on an overnight connection a couple of years ago. It's got a great location and is a really nice hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.