Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I am currently in residence and the place is deserted, hopefully just for Songkran. We still ended up waiting for our room at circa 3 PM (I guess a number of floors have been closed off) although we were given an alternative for 45 minutes whilst our room was being made up.

There were about 6 tables occupied in the Living Room last night which was totally devoid of atmosphere. What appeared to be the GM or Director of rooms was doing the rounds greeting all guests except my wife and I, including those at the tables each side of us. I thought this was positively offensive.

Received one BTS card between 2 guests too which is slightly weird.

First stay in a refurbed suite and I like the refresh which has been cleverly done to avoid replacing much of the old room fittings. The bathrooms do now look a little tired though.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The rate I booked (and I'm assuming you did too) included 1 BTS card per room per stay. It was the cheapest rate available when I booked it and also cancelable till 6pm day of arrival, so the BTS card was just a nice extra promotional thing.

Why is that slightly weird?

-David
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:48 am
Company Representative - Bangkok.Grande Sukhumvit by Sheraton

Location: 250 Sukhumvit Soi 12-14, Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
I am currently in residence and the place is deserted, hopefully just for Songkran. We still ended up waiting for our room at circa 3 PM (I guess a number of floors have been closed off) although we were given an alternative for 45 minutes whilst our room was being made up.

There were about 6 tables occupied in the Living Room last night which was totally devoid of atmosphere. What appeared to be the GM or Director of rooms was doing the rounds greeting all guests except my wife and I, including those at the tables each side of us. I thought this was positively offensive.

First stay in a refurbed suite and I like the refresh which has been cleverly done to avoid replacing much of the old room fittings. The bathrooms do now look a little tired though.
Dear Land-of-Miles,

May I thank you for your comments. Allow me to explain that although the hotel is quiet, all our suites were occupied and hence we were not able to immediately provide you with a suite upon check-in.

Yes it was I who was in The Living Room last night. I am very sorry that you were offended that I did not engage you. However if I note someone in conversation or reading a book or checking emails or on the phone, I sometimes judge it best not to interrupt. So please forgive me if I wrongly judged your situation. It certainly was not deliberate but judgmental.

I am glad you like the newly refurbished suite. As for the bathroom, we had long debates whether we should retain the tiles or not. The consensus was “retain the tiles, as it is part of the indigenous character, rather than install marble like most hotels.” But I also do get your point. However I hope you like the T.V. in the bathroom mirror and the rain shower.

I apologize for only 1 BTS ticket being given. Please ask the front desk for a second.

Thank you and enjoy your stay.

With Kind Regards,

Richard Chapman
General Manager
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok
Dear Land-of-Miles,

May I thank you for your comments. Allow me to explain that although the hotel is quiet, all our suites were occupied and hence we were not able to immediately provide you with a suite upon check-in.

Yes it was I who was in The Living Room last night. I am very sorry that you were offended that I did not engage you. However if I note someone in conversation or reading a book or checking emails or on the phone, I sometimes judge it best not to interrupt. So please forgive me if I wrongly judged your situation. It certainly was not deliberate but judgmental.

I am glad you like the newly refurbished suite. As for the bathroom, we had long debates whether we should retain the tiles or not. The consensus was “retain the tiles, as it is part of the indigenous character, rather than install marble like most hotels.” But I also do get your point. However I hope you like the T.V. in the bathroom mirror and the rain shower.

I apologize for only 1 BTS ticket being given. Please ask the front desk for a second.

Thank you and enjoy your stay.

With Kind Regards,

Richard Chapman
General Manager
Richard, you are the man. Great job as always.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
The rate I booked (and I'm assuming you did too) included 1 BTS card per room per stay. It was the cheapest rate available when I booked it and also cancelable till 6pm day of arrival, so the BTS card was just a nice extra promotional thing.

Why is that slightly weird?

-David
I didn't recall it being a rate component but that makes more sense now. Not a big deal really I just thought it was a little odd at the time and my wife commented on it.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:25 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Hahaha! You see, that's exactly the difference between different types of Flyertalkers. You are the opposite of me.

I want to check in, enjoy my stay, and check out WITHOUT being approached. I don't need them to know my name, nor do I think they should care. The perfect stay for me is flawless service that is exactly the same that they provide to all guests. I don't need to be treated as a VIP, singled out, or provided any special treatment.

True great hotels raise the bar to everyone. Many hotels don't. They have tiered service levels, and you have to be designated a VIP to see their magic. What makes the SGS special is that they have raised the bar and try to give equally good service to everyone. And that they encourage their employees to actively participate in the guests' 'experience.'

If the duty manager had done that to me, I would have secretly been happy and felt lucky. I find it funny that you found it offensive.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Hahaha! You see, that's exactly the difference between different types of Flyertalkers. You are the opposite of me.

I want to check in, enjoy my stay, and check out WITHOUT being approached. I don't need them to know my name, nor do I think they should care. The perfect stay for me is flawless service that is exactly the same that they provide to all guests. I don't need to be treated as a VIP, singled out, or provided any special treatment.

True great hotels raise the bar to everyone. Many hotels don't. They have tiered service levels, and you have to be designated a VIP to see their magic. What makes the SGS special is that they have raised the bar and try to give equally good service to everyone. And that they encourage their employees to actively participate in the guests' 'experience.'

If the duty manager had done that to me, I would have secretly been happy and felt lucky. I find it funny that you found it offensive.
It just felt a little strange given how quiet the bar was and every other table being approached.

Having now checked out I liked the refurbed rooms. The shower improvement was noticeable but I am less sure of the TV in mirror. The location was just a bit wrong for it to be useful. The best bathroom TV implementations I have seen are in the Marvellous suites at the W HKG and in some of the better suites at the Conrad BKK, although the presidential suite at the IC Barclay in New York with its 4 TVs in the bathroom is hard to beat.

I also like the new toiletries which seem identical to those in the IC BKK.

Probably because the property was so quiet there were a couple of minor service issues (like having to find someone to request a taxi). I hope things pick up here.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I am surprised that with such low occupancy, the hotel didn't do much to lower the rate. Considering the glut of hotel rooms in Bkk now, they really need to look into filling those rooms up. It's just spooky staying in an empty hotel.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:10 pm
cxn

I think hotels are trying hard to maintain their 'value' and keep their rates up even with low occupancy.

In the end, there is a cost to having a hotel room go used. I too think Hotels should be fire selling the rooms but I guess they think people will come back.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:30 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok
As for the bathroom, we had long debates whether we should retain the tiles or not. The consensus was “retain the tiles, as it is part of the indigenous character, rather than install marble like most hotels.” But I also do get your point. However I hope you like the T.V. in the bathroom mirror and the rain shower.
Thank you for keeping the green tiles ... we love the new bathroom design!

Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I think so too.
Accor has a decent promotion with 40% off Asia Pacific making my choice alot easier.
Since I'm not really a pool person, and SPG promo is lacklustre at best, I'm going for the best value.

Originally Posted by cxn
I think hotels are trying hard to maintain their 'value' and keep their rates up even with low occupancy.

In the end, there is a cost to having a hotel room go used. I too think Hotels should be fire selling the rooms but I guess they think people will come back.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:05 am
Company Representative - Bangkok.Grande Sukhumvit by Sheraton

Location: 250 Sukhumvit Soi 12-14, Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
We would like you to enhance your next experience in Bangkok with our 100 newly renovated rooms and enjoy Internet at 1 US Dollar only.

Enjoy:
- Accommodation in the newly renovated Grande Room
- Wired and Wireless High Speed Internet Access (bandwidth up to 60 Mbps) for just 1 US Dollar.
- Rates from Baht 5,100 ++ per room per night
- Offer valid for stays completed by June 30, 2014.

Book Now!
Old May 4, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, UA IK
Is the BarSu open now? The jazz in the Library is not to my musical tastes
Old May 5, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by Sembach
Is the BarSu open now? The jazz in the Library is not to my musical tastes
It wasn't last week. Didn't seem like it was really going to re-open anytime soon.
Old May 5, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
A few days ago, I received the monthly SGS E-mail that included the following:

BarSu is back with a salsa twist on every Thursday from May 15. Fridays will see the Seditious Band and Rhythm Nation make you dance on the floor while Saturdays the Seditious Band will keep your groove from 20.30 hours till late night. Light bites will also be available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.