Which Starwood hotel in Atlanta?

Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: CO Silver | SPG Platinum | Mariott Platinum | Hilton Diamond
Thanks a ton @'Cheap Elite' for the link to the master thread. After reading the thread, I am changing my stay for the first week to either Sheraton or W Buckhead. Phew... good that I saw the Westin downtown thread. Thanks much!!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: CO Silver | SPG Platinum | Mariott Platinum | Hilton Diamond
Since I was staying in Marquis, I thought I would feel comfortable staying close to that area. But reading the reviews in the master thread, I changed my mind!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by whatNJ
Since I was staying in Marquis, I thought I would feel comfortable staying close to that area. But reading the reviews in the master thread, I changed my mind!

Well, we told you what to do earlier. Westin Buckhead is the best choice for you.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Which Property in Atlanta?

I read through some of the individual Atlanta hotel threads, the only impression I got was they're all pretty bad, except the St Regis (but that's the St Regis)... Hope I'm wrong.

I've a 5-night leisure stay coming up and I don't mind hopping once or twice. Key factors will be comfort, upgrades, and location - in that order. I'm a Platinum Lite and I'll have a car. The St Regis is a little out of my league, I may be able to do one, or at most, two nights there...

Recommendations please?

P.S. The St Regis thread isn't listed in the Master Index, can a mod add it please?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
All depends on what you want to do while you're here. A couple of thoughts:

1) The St Regis is excellent. Good service in my experiences, pretty good with plat upgrades, in Buckhead (tho night life there is second to midtown these days).

2) I'm not a huge fan of W hotels but if you are, there are three to choose from. One is in Buckhead, one downtown, one in Midtown. The Buckhead / Downtown W's are both pretty new, the one in Midtown is a renovated Sheraton. For the location, I don't know if you can beat the one in Midtown, even though its rooms may not be quite as fresh. I personally would not stay downtown, just because there's not much to do down that way.

3) I would avoid a few properties. All of the Sheratons are pretty bad and the Westin Peachtree Plaza is not good from what I've heard. The Westin in Buckhead, however, is not bad, tho it is worn.

There are obviously a bunch of SPG properties around town -- let me know if you have specific questions about some.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Thanks...

Main activities will be touristy stuff, laying by the pool and just relax.

I'm not a huge fan of the W either. But I only had 2 experiences, so I'm willing to give it another go, especially the Midtown one.

The better half wants to try the Peachtree, so I'll need to talk her out of it... But I think her main reason is to try to revolving restaurant up top.

Lounge, regardless of brand, will be good though.

So, that means:
- Location to touristy stuff (although I'll have a car)
- Upgrades for Plats
- Shopping (with the better half)
- Good pool
- Lounge

Last edited by Leumas; Jul 4, 2012 at 11:27 pm Reason: Added the upgrade priority
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
If by "touristy stuff," you mean the World of Coca-Cola, the Georgia Aquarium, Centennial Olympic Park, the CNN Studio Tour, etc., then you will want to stay in the Downtown area if you want to be near those destinations. Being no more than a few blocks from all of these destinations will save you a lot of money on Downtown parking. If you go to the Aquarium then CNN, be sure to cut through the park (much quicker). What dates will you be in the city?

The W Downtown is very nice and the most ideal location for all of these destinations. The last time I stayed there, I was upgraded to a suite overlooking the Downtown Connector (the merged I-75 and I-85 highway). I used to be a fan of W hotels until I encountered the 'tude in New York and Chicago. The W Downtown Atlanta is the only domestic W-branded hotel I will stay at now. They have a great pool upstairs that is often hosting parties, so that can be a good thing (if you're able to attend) or a bad thing (a private event). They also have a cash and points option that is sometimes available (4,800 points and $90 cash).

The Westin Peachtree Plaza is an okay hotel, but the only appeal is the shape. The rooms are nothing fancy. The upgrade to a higher room is nice. They are still completing renovations (until later this year) and I've heard that it is not fun to be there in the mornings due to the work ... perhaps the higher floors will help, though?

I put my mom and brother up in two rooms at the Sheraton Downtown for the weekend of my wedding. They were upgraded to Club Level rooms and could not say enough about it. It is a bit further from anything in Downtown (about 2 blocks from the Westin Peachtree Plaza), but it is a nice convention hotel with a Club Level. They also have a killer cash and points option that should help your wallet (2,800 points and $45).

The St. Regis may be worth looking at for a night or two. More often than not, they will often have a cash and points option available that makes it quite affordable (4,800 points and $90). If occupancy is not completely maxed out (for a wedding, etc.), then you will receive an upgrade to a 1,000-sq. ft. St. Regis Suite ... simply stunning. The Grand Deluxe is the minimal upgrade you will receive and that room is rather huge ... if the suite is not available, request a Grand Deluxe with a full balcony overlooking the courtyard (the balconies are massive). At 12,000 points per night, it is one of the best "bang for your buck" properties in the St. Regis brand.

Last edited by jibi; Jul 4, 2012 at 10:46 pm
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:45 pm

To add, there's not much shopping in Downtown. Depending on what the better half is looking for, you will find more shopping opportunities in Buckhead and the north Perimeter. Buckhead is a "short" drive into Downtown. Downtown, especially in the area where the W is at, has some decent eating options. Buckhead has some of the best dining the city has to offer. Midtown has a lot of great local-only places. Little Five Points, if you're adventurous, still has some great dining and some interesting shopping. Be sure to grab a burger at the Vortex in Midtown or Little Five.

Also, if I had to recommend one restaurant, I would highly recommend eating at an off-the-beaten-path place like Heirloom Market BBQ. It is Northwest of the city on the perimeter. There are many, many places to eat in the city, though (whether you want local or chain).

P.S. - I would not bother with the rotating restaurant at the Westin. There are too many other places that are so much better.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by Leumas
So, that means:
- Location to touristy stuff (although I'll have a car)
- Upgrades for Plats
- Shopping (with the better half)
- Good pool
- Lounge
Then the Dr prescribes the Westin Buckhead. I have always gotten a suite, the best lounge in the city, Lenox mall less than 100 yards away, and a decent pool.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:43 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Then the Dr prescribes the Westin Buckhead. I have always gotten a suite, the best lounge in the city, Lenox mall less than 100 yards away, and a decent pool.
I agree with you. The hotel is nice, the malls are right there, plenty of restaurants within walking distance, and Marta is around the corner if you want to go downtown. The lounge is fine but I admit I haven't seen the pool.

edited to add I looked at the website and the pool is indoors.

Last edited by abk; Jul 5, 2012 at 12:36 pm
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: SPG Plat
This thread comes at perfect timing. We are heading to Atlanta for a quick 3 night trip and have booked 2 nights at the St Regis. Confirmed suite night award, didn't want to risk an upgrade there. We might stay at the Westin Buckhead the first night from the suggestions here. Arriving so late the first night we can certainly save the money/points and then head over to the St Regis the next day.

Will have to check out the Heirloom Market BBQ- thanks for the suggestion
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: All of them
If one of your hops includes the night before your flight home, the Westin is the better of the 2 airport properties. They're the only ones I've stayed at in ATL.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
St. Regis is very nice of course. W Downtown is definitely nicer than W Midtown -- it's not even close. But Midtown has a lot more walking options for food, drink, and music in the evening. I usually stay midtown
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
My two cents:
I've stayed at all of the Atlanta properties -- W Midtown is best for upgrades. I've never had a 'meaningful' upgrade at W Downtown though the property is newer. Also, the vibe at W Downtown is very young/hip so keep that in mind. The weekend pool scene is filled with the 'beautiful people'... You'll have to decide if that's the scene you're going for.

As far as 'The Peach', pop on over for lunch/dinner at the Sundial but don't waste any nights staying there -- it's old and not in the best shape.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by goAsia
If one of your hops includes the night before your flight home, the Westin is the better of the 2 airport properties. They're the only ones I've stayed at in ATL.
Agreed completely and this is not even close. The Sheraton is plagued with uber-thin walls and too many family reunions. I have never had a bad night at the Westin. For the $5-10 more to stay at the Westin, it is worth it. These two properties are great for mattress runs, too (and they are closest to me, as I live in Newnan). ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.