Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 2:17 pm

I love the W Union Square, though my wife recently stayed at the W Times Square, so I'll have to see how she compares them.

I like Union Square for the rooms, location, and service. My wife and I stayed there for a long weekend a couple months after our son was born. The rooms were plenty large enough for a crib. The staff even turned a potential snafu into a customer service "win" when the concierge forgot to make the dinner reservations we requested until we called to remind them.

The concierge turned the snafu into a "win" by phoning the restaurant and ensuring that we would have a bottle of champagne once we were seated. This was done as a surprise to us.
Old May 22, 2009, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm booking 2 weekends in NYC for the end of July and beginning of August with my 6 free weekend nights...

The first weekend, my wife and I will be with our 4-year-old daughter. We will be using subways and cabs everywhere and will likely go to a Mets game as well.

The second weekend, my wife and I will be alone. It's going to be a W for us. Yankees game, maybe a show, lots of hanging out. Which one? Times Square?

Any help would be appreciated. We would be happy with our daughter in a W, but am wondering if it's really a kid-friendly place. Have only stayed in 2 of them, neither in New York.
Old May 22, 2009, 11:36 pm

Programs: Accor Plat,SGP plat, Hyatt Dia, PC Plat, QF Plat, SG TPP, TG Gold
I've stayed at Times Square and Lexington. The W Lexington is , without a doubt, the worst hotel I have ever stayed in at that price level. The rooms are miniscule ( about 9 inches between the bed and the wall). Can't enter the bathroom without sqeezing in sideways. Think that was a cozy room. That was the best I could get, as a Platinum, at a quiet time. To describe it as a dump is an understatement.
Times Square is much better ( but rather dark and gloomy) and well-located.
Old May 23, 2009, 8:06 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I'm booking 2 weekends in NYC for the end of July and beginning of August with my 6 free weekend nights...

The first weekend, my wife and I will be with our 4-year-old daughter. We will be using subways and cabs everywhere and will likely go to a Mets game as well.

The second weekend, my wife and I will be alone. It's going to be a W for us. Yankees game, maybe a show, lots of hanging out. Which one? Times Square?

Any help would be appreciated. We would be happy with our daughter in a W, but am wondering if it's really a kid-friendly place. Have only stayed in 2 of them, neither in New York.
For your second stay, the W Union Square is probably best--in a good neighborhood to explore New York, and the 4 subway line, which goes right to Yankee Stadium, is nearby. (The D line would also get you there, which does stop right outside the Sheraton New York, but . . . no.)

The first weekend it's more of a toss-up, but probably the W Times Square or Westin Times Square would be best. I've never seen the rooms at the Westin and while it has received some decidedly mixed reviews on here, it would be the most convenient to the 7 train, which gets you to Citi Field. The W Times Square is not far from the 7 either, though it does require trekking through the throngs of Times Square to get there.

As an alternative, if you feel like Times Square might be too much hustle and bustle with your daughter in tow, the Ws Court and Tuscany are also fairly close to the 7 on the East Side (you'd pick it up at Grand Central).
Old May 23, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: WN A-List, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I'm making a trip to NYC in July. I have 3 children (7, 5, and almost a year) and this is our first trip with the 3rd child. Now that I'm making my first trip with the 3rd, I'm realizing that my hotel loyalty may have to be altered.

Basically, I'm just not sure if Starwood is the program for me with 5 people in the family. Hilton seems to have more 2BR suite properties in large cities (Doubletree Times Square for example). Are there any properties, for example, in NYC that would be reasonable for 2 adults, 2 kids, and a baby in one double room? Would I need to use points for a suite to make it reasonable?

I have many more points in Starwood than HHonors (88k vs 49k), but trying to keep my Starwood points to transfer to miles to fly to Europe with just the wife next year.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

cw
Old May 23, 2009, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by colerc
For your second stay, the W Union Square is probably best--in a good neighborhood to explore New York, and the 4 subway line, which goes right to Yankee Stadium, is nearby. (The D line would also get you there, which does stop right outside the Sheraton New York, but . . . no.)

The first weekend it's more of a toss-up, but probably the W Times Square or Westin Times Square would be best. I've never seen the rooms at the Westin and while it has received some decidedly mixed reviews on here, it would be the most convenient to the 7 train, which gets you to Citi Field. The W Times Square is not far from the 7 either, though it does require trekking through the throngs of Times Square to get there.

As an alternative, if you feel like Times Square might be too much hustle and bustle with your daughter in tow, the Ws Court and Tuscany are also fairly close to the 7 on the East Side (you'd pick it up at Grand Central).
I appreciate the advice. I decided on the W Times Square for the first weekend. Since we're staying on a Thursday night the second week, I chose the Cat5 Meridian over the W Union Square in order to save the 8K Starpoints. I'm sure we'll be happy regardless. We'll be out and about most of the time, anyway.
Old May 23, 2009, 6:07 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Originally Posted by cwillyg2
I'm making a trip to NYC in July. I have 3 children (7, 5, and almost a year) and this is our first trip with the 3rd child. Now that I'm making my first trip with the 3rd, I'm realizing that my hotel loyalty may have to be altered.

Basically, I'm just not sure if Starwood is the program for me with 5 people in the family. Hilton seems to have more 2BR suite properties in large cities (Doubletree Times Square for example). Are there any properties, for example, in NYC that would be reasonable for 2 adults, 2 kids, and a baby in one double room? Would I need to use points for a suite to make it reasonable?

I have many more points in Starwood than HHonors (88k vs 49k), but trying to keep my Starwood points to transfer to miles to fly to Europe with just the wife next year.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

cw
Hmm, as much as I dislike Westin TS, their Club Floor rooms are about 400 sq ft and have 2 double beds. Maybe they can put a crib in it as well? I'd call SPG and find out. Last time I checked, it only cost 14,500 starpoints a night at the Club level.

Just a thought.
Old May 30, 2009, 4:42 pm

Programs: WN A-List, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I appreciate the advice. It's actually looking like now that we're finalizing the dates, the larger suites at the Doubletree are unavailable. So, I may go SPG. I don't imagine we're going to be hanging at the hotel much anyway, but sleeping as soundly as possible is important!

Thanks,

cw

Originally Posted by choptliva
Hmm, as much as I dislike Westin TS, their Club Floor rooms are about 400 sq ft and have 2 double beds. Maybe they can put a crib in it as well? I'd call SPG and find out. Last time I checked, it only cost 14,500 starpoints a night at the Club level.

Just a thought.
Old May 31, 2009, 5:27 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by cwillyg2
I appreciate the advice. It's actually looking like now that we're finalizing the dates, the larger suites at the Doubletree are unavailable. So, I may go SPG. I don't imagine we're going to be hanging at the hotel much anyway, but sleeping as soundly as possible is important!
Then stay away from the W Times Square. The walls are paper thin and if you have next-door neighbors, you will hear every word of their conversation. If you do end up there, ask for a corner room (usually reserved for Platinum upgrades). You are less likely to have noise issues in those rooms. The W Times Square is better, but you can hear doors slamming in the hallways.

Of all the NY Starwoods, I have found the Sheraton New York and W Union Square to have the best soundproofing. It appears the newer the construction, the worse the soundproofing is.
Old May 31, 2009, 2:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
We are planning to go to NYC and the rates are very low, even in the middle of summer...it's a great value! Who would have thought that value and NYC would be in the same sentence, just a year ago? All properties range between $121-$292, excluding the St. Regis. I was thinking of using Starpoints, but it's not worth it... the W Tuscany (category 6) for example is only $200 a night. On another note I wish the Essex House would still be a Starwood property, even if not a Westin. It would've made a great Luxury Collection property.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Jul 3, 2009 at 12:17 pm
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I have deleted several posts in order to bring this thread back on topic.

I make a joke, which wasn't taken as such by everyone. That resulted in the thread veering off course. My apologies.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. . .
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:43 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, HiltonHonors, AAdvantage, Starwood Prefered Guest, Marriott Rewards
I celebrated my 49th Birthday at the Westin Times Square this year. I was quite pleased with my corner room and nice view of the Hudson River. The bathroom contained a window as well. I have to admit I could have done without the stainless steel sink - it reminded me of an airplaine washroom in a way. The bathroom contained a stainless steel etager for toiletries which seemed a little odd, too - it was on rollers. The room itself was certainly spacious and the bed wonderfully comfortable.

I had a painless, crowd-free check-in by a competent, professional desk clerk - a nice change from what I had earlier in the year at the Hilton Times Square.

What really impressed me was the desk clerk noted my birth date on my passport (I don't drive) and realized it was my birthday. When I returned from the theater, I was thrilled to find the management had sent up a birthday cake, enough to feed six! What a gesture.

As someone else has commented, it was a little noisy - not too noisy, and I am very noise sensitive. The quietest hotel in NY in my experience has been the Sofitel.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 10:00 pm

Programs: AC*E50K, CX Gold, SPG Gold
Best SPG property in New York City

As title. I have book two free weekend nights at W Time Square but am not sure if this is the best place to stay in for a first timer. Any opinion is appreciated.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 2, 2009 at 11:18 pm Reason: Moved into thread with overview of New York hotels
Old Jul 4, 2009, 2:16 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ailiton
As title. I have book two free weekend nights at W Time Square but am not sure if this is the best place to stay in for a first timer. Any opinion is appreciated.
It would certainly be MY first choice, but it all depends on your own personal preferences. Read the rest of this thread (now that your post has been moved into it) and judge for yourself.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 2:44 am

I stayed at W The Court, W Time Square and Le Parker. W TS is definitely my #1 choice for NYC (esp 1st timer). Thats how NYC experience should be!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.