Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Delhi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2009, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Delhi

Howdy,

I am staying 2 nights in Delhi on my way to the hills in Nepal, and I am interested in a *wood peoperty in Delhi. I am getting in late (around 2200) from AMS, but I have a full day the next day, and I want a place near all of the sights but easy to get to from the airport. I see from previous threads that the Le Meridian is probably my best bet, but I would appreciate some opinions on it.

By the way, is the Taj Mahal doable in 1 day from the city? Or, should I just wait? Merci!
Old Jan 30, 2009, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Well, I'll stand in for Cheap Elite and observe that a search on 'Delhi, Meridien' constrained to the last year brings up (among other things) this master thread with posts as little as two weeks old.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Old Jan 30, 2009, 5:26 pm

While I'd normally recommend search, OP is asking some additional information, which I'd gladly provide since I just finished my four week long India work trip.

I stayed at LM Delhi for seven nights and it is the best SPG property in Delhi that is close to sights, especially the India Gate. SPG Plats get treated well, but one caveat for all luxury hotels in Delhi and some other states in India is that you will be charged taxes (usually 10-12.5%) on the full rack rate of the room you are assigned. So if the hotel upgrade you to a nice suite, you will have to pay taxes on the rack rate of the upgraded room... not your rate nor the rack rate of your original room. So, the rate you get may be decent but you will almost always end up with hefty taxes... in the range of minimum 35 USD to 50/60 USD Per NIGHT. I had a nice 7000 IDR rate via SPG50, but ended up paying close to 10,000 IDR per night including taxes since I was upgraded to a suite. Taxes were 2500 IDR ~ 50USD. They were originally going to upgrade me to a room that had tax of 4300 IDR!!! Then I said that's way out of the line... I like upgrades, but not when I have to pocket out close to 100 dollars in taxes. This is really a strange and unique policy to India. No one seem to know why they do this nor why some states have this and some don't.

In regards to Agra visit, it will take you a full day. So, if you arrive late on your first day and leave early on your third day, and want to see Agra, you will have to forego sight-seeing in Delhi. You can take a train early morning and finish seeing things in Agra by 2-3 PM... and return via train (there no guarantee that your return train will be on-time That's the way it is in India). So, if you want to go to Agra, you have to block entire day.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Awesome -- they have great rates for the days I am looking for in July 2009, and I think that a quick tour of the sights, and a nice pool lounge day in the afternoon just fits the bill. India can be best enjoyed when one has more time, so I'm not going to push it!
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brahms77
While I'd normally recommend search, OP is asking some additional information, which I'd gladly provide since I just finished my four week long India work trip.

I stayed at LM Delhi for seven nights and it is the best SPG property in Delhi that is close to sights, especially the India Gate. SPG Plats get treated well, but one caveat for all luxury hotels in Delhi and some other states in India is that you will be charged taxes (usually 10-12.5%) on the full rack rate of the room you are assigned. So if the hotel upgrade you to a nice suite, you will have to pay taxes on the rack rate of the upgraded room... not your rate nor the rack rate of your original room. So, the rate you get may be decent but you will almost always end up with hefty taxes... in the range of minimum 35 USD to 50/60 USD Per NIGHT. I had a nice 7000 IDR rate via SPG50, but ended up paying close to 10,000 IDR per night including taxes since I was upgraded to a suite. Taxes were 2500 IDR ~ 50USD. They were originally going to upgrade me to a room that had tax of 4300 IDR!!! Then I said that's way out of the line... I like upgrades, but not when I have to pocket out close to 100 dollars in taxes. This is really a strange and unique policy to India. No one seem to know why they do this nor why some states have this and some don't.

In regards to Agra visit, it will take you a full day. So, if you arrive late on your first day and leave early on your third day, and want to see Agra, you will have to forego sight-seeing in Delhi. You can take a train early morning and finish seeing things in Agra by 2-3 PM... and return via train (there no guarantee that your return train will be on-time That's the way it is in India). So, if you want to go to Agra, you have to block entire day.

Interesting post -- so as someone going on a bare-bones budget, should I ask specifically for NO upgrade, just to aviod the taxes? "No upgrade requested" in the notes? Hmmmm...
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:53 pm

Regardless of how low your rate is your taxes will be based on the full rack rate of the room you receive. Nonetheless, rack rate of the regular rooms and standard suite room has a difference of about 8000 IDR, I think. So that'd be around 1000 IDR difference and for one night stay, it won't be so dramatic... it's when you stay longer... then you realize it's adding up like crazy.

I think the message that Indians are sending to us foreigners is that if you are paying enough dollar to stay at luxury hotels, you must have $$$ to pay for higher fee associated services and taxes. Don't let the hotels arrange you a taxi/car/dinners as it's at least 5-10 times higher than what you'd get when you get one off the street (though can't guarantee safety) or through your Indian friend.

LM Delhi is in the class of 'modern' 'W' wannabe category. Somehow, I feel like they are just short of being really modern/'W-esq'.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Never heard of being taxed on the rack rate. Is this the only property that does that?
Old Jan 31, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Not sure I agree LM is the best SPG property in Delhi

The ITC Maurya (formerly Sheraton Maurya) is a first class property. Don't know that it's better than the Meridien, but it's at least as good. Not to cheap elite you out, but there are lots and lots of comparative threads here from people who have been to Delhi more than me - I've only been there twice - and the Maurya generally takes top honors. YMMV, of course...
Old Jan 31, 2009, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by SportsTech
- and the Maurya generally takes top honors. YMMV, of course...
If you get the ITC One room.

I did like Maurya, but the location is not as good as LM. Combining the location and the style, I think LM is a bit ahead of Maurya... but then again... as you said YMMV.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by chanp
Never heard of being taxed on the rack rate. Is this the only property that does that?
The taxes on the rack rate of the room is specific to all hotels in Delhi (and Chennai as well IIRC), it does not exist in other cities such as Mumbai, where the room rate is inclusive of taxes.

I always stay at The Maurya so that gets my vote for the best Starwood property in Delhi, but unfortunately it's also the most expensive
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Which Hotel in Delhi

Here's my situation:

There are 3 of us. We will stay in one room.

3 nights in Delhi, arriving at 5:15pm from KTM.

The next day, taking the Delhi-Agra 6:15am train, returning same day at 10:30pm. The following day, just want to do a tour of Delhi.

Our flight leaves to IST at 4:45am the next morning.

The 3 SPG's (not counting the Westin) in the area are between 8000-9000 rupees a night. Can use points for all 3, only the Sheraton has C&P available.

There's hardly any info on the Sheraton here. Tripadvisor gives it good reviews.

Which hotel would be the easiest by location and give me the best chance for a larger room that could accomodate 3 adults without an issue. I'm fine with paying extra luxury tax if it means giving us a large enough room. I thought about splitting into 2 rooms and doing the C&P thing. But I don't know enough about the Sheraton.

Thanks for the help.

Rich

P.S. Yes, I read the other threads and yes, I did a search.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
here is the basic info on all 3 starwood properties in delhi....

itc maurya is without a doubt the best starwood property here....its got really nice rooms, plat recognition is good, lots of great restaurants....but this hotel is pretty much in the middle of nowhere....

the sheraton is best located if you want to be close to shopping & clubs & restaurants....3 of delhi's best malls are within walking distance from the hotel....they have a very nice lounge & the rooms are also quite nice....there is a restaurant called dakshin in the hotel which just happens to be my favourite restaurant in the city....

the le méridien is best located from a tourist point of view....its a short drive to a number of historical sites as well as one of the better known shopping areas in the city....plat recognition is great....i'm not a big fan of the restaurants at this hotel though....

all in all, i would either pick the le méridien or the itc maurya....if you want to do some site seeing then you will be getting a cab in any case so it doesn't matter whether you are 5 minutes or 15 minutes from where you want to go....
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by puchalskir
Here's my situation:

The next day, taking the Delhi-Agra 6:15am train, returning same day at 10:30pm. The following day, just want to do a tour of Delhi.

The 3 SPG's (not counting the Westin) in the area are between 8000-9000 rupees a night. Can use points for all 3, only the Sheraton has C&P available.

There's hardly any info on the Sheraton here. Tripadvisor gives it good reviews.

Which hotel would be the easiest by location and give me the best chance for a larger room that could accomodate 3 adults without an issue. I'm fine with paying extra luxury tax if it means giving us a large enough room. I thought about splitting into 2 rooms and doing the C&P thing. But I don't know enough about the Sheraton.

Thanks for the help.

Rich

Aviod the Sheraton. It is in far south Delhi and you will lose mucho time in transit, particularly going to and from the train station for your Agra trip. LM is closest to the station and the places you would see on your Delhi tour. The Maurya is a little further away but still 30 minutes each way closer than the Sheraton; us locals generally consider the Maurya the best hotel in town.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by puchalskir
Here's my situation:

Thanks for the help.

Rich

The Maurya and LeMeridien in Delhi both have rooms that can accommodate three people by putting in a rollaway bed. There is an additional charge for the rollaway bed.

For the majority of rooms at the Maurya, the rollaway bed will take up a lot of the "free" space in the room.

For LeMeridien, I've not been in so many rooms there as I ended up getting the same suites most of the time -- and that's not something to count on there at this time of the year.

The service is better at Maurya. Which location is better depends on what you want. Delhi is mostly a driving city anyway, but at least LeMeridien is much better located for walking to some shopping.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by saad
itc maurya is without a doubt the best starwood property here....its got really nice rooms, plat recognition is good, lots of great restaurants....but this hotel is pretty much in the middle of nowhere....
That's not the description I would give to Chanakyapuri -- after all it is in the diplomatic quarter and some might have business to do in the vicinity.

It's also not in the middle of nowhere as far as the Indian government "spies" are concerned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.