Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Full Moon Resort & Spa, Maldives [Master Thread]

Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cbellero
Transportation Resort Charge Policy

The resort will arrange combined speedboat transfers to and from Male International Airport and the fee is 136 USD per person (inclusive of the 12% GST and 10% Service Charge). International flight details are required to arrange transfers.

Some rate plans are inclusive of the transfer fee. Please check the rate description. Other terms and conditions may apply.

As of March 2021, hotel website states speedboat transfer is complimentary.

Information for Guests with Children

Due to the design and the general layout of our Water Bungalow, Water Villa, Water Suite and Ocean Villa children below the age of 12 cannot be accommodated in these room types. Children above the age of 12 are allowed when staying with a parent (maximum of 2 pax per room including child).

Please contact the resort for further information.

Mandatory Transportation Information

The resort is just a short 20 - 25 minutes speed boat ride away from Male' Airport.

Please contact the resort at sheraton dot maldives at sheraton dot com for transportation arrangements or fill in your details here.
  • Transportation is available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
  • The cost for the combined roundtrip transfer service from/to MLE International Airport is 136 USD per person.
  • Please note that all speedboat transfers are subject to weather conditions and may not be able to operate in extreme weather.
  • Advance notice for changes is required at (960) 665 0225 x4.

New Green Tax Beginning November 1, 2015

Beginning November 1, 2015, a new Green Tax of 6 USD per day per person will go into effect. This will be in addition to the 10% Service Charge and the 12% Goods and Services Tax.

Mandatory New Year's Eve Dinner: December 31, 2015

There will be a compulsory New Year's Eve dinner supplement for all guests staying over or arriving on December 31, 2015. The rate is 431 USD per adult and 172 USD per child ages 2 to 11. This will be automatically added to the room bill. Please contact the resort for further information.

Reaching out to the hotel
[email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Full Moon Resort & Spa, Maldives [Master Thread]

Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG-Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat
Cool Sheraton Full Moon Resort & Spa, Maldives [Master Thread]

If anyone has stayed here on a bed and breakfast rate do you know if or are you aware of this property offering INSTANT REWARDS such as dinner in one of their speciality restaurants as a redemption option. It would be great to hear of anyone's experiences at this property with Starwood Gold status.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium

Am going to be staying at the W Maldives end of February, and we were arriving in Male the night before. Was offered the option of spending a night at the Sheraton as the seaplanes do not operate at night.. The rate offered was quite attractive and comparable to the Hulhule airport hotel.. If just 20 mins from Male airport, its doesn't seem to be a bad option to spend a night there before heading to the W..
Old Jan 3, 2009, 2:10 pm

Do they have a minimum stay requirement? I can't book a one night stay when two nights or more seem fine
Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold

I just got back for this hotel where I stayed here for 2 nights before departing for the Conrad. The hotel is a very nice hotel and is very close to the airport, approximately 10 minutes by speedboat. We arrived at the hotel at 1030pm and departed 2 days later at 930am, so we really had 1 full day here. I used points and stayed in the Overwater Bungalow, which was very nice, but a little slow. The room had a very nice sony 42 inch flat screen tv, but the problem was the bathroom had no AC. Showering and using the bathroom was not pleasant as it was pretty humid. I would recommend this hotel if you want to stay on points only or are staying for the night before departing to other resorts. We ate at a few restaurants and the food was pretty good. The one dinner we had was at the sunset grill, which was outside with views of Male. They also had a buffet, a cafe, and a Thai restaurant, which looked great, but we went for the Sunset grill as that was outside and it was very pretty looking. Overall a very nice hotel, but the Conrad was much nicer.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:58 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by neuro0
Do they have a minimum stay requirement? I can't book a one night stay when two nights or more seem fine
Yes. There is 2 night min stay requirement if booking online. If guests are transiting to W the next day please write to the property for assistance.

[email protected]
Old Jun 28, 2009, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
If anyone has any recent report and can say whether Plat's get OWB upgrades please report! TIA.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
re-request: any updates on stays? Food costs, plat ug, snorkeling - ?good sites near shore, cost - ease of diving (I'm getting up in age and down in energy) or any other info appreciated!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by paullevi
If anyone has any recent report and can say whether Plat's get OWB upgrades please report! TIA.
When I stayed here in February overnight.. they upgraded me from a standard room to a OWB... was nice, but was only there for like 12 hours, so couldn't really give any more info, other than the fact as the other poster had said, bathroom had no AC and it was pretty humid and hot in there...
Old Aug 17, 2009, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Just got back today from a 3 night stay at the Sheraton full moon resort & spa. I took my parents there for their anniversary so had booked 2 rooms for 3 nights using 6 free weekend night awards. I had called the hotel earlier to inform them that it was my parents anniversary & spoke to the reservation manager. His name is Vijendra (can’t remember his last name). He sent me an email a few days before we got there letting me know that he had already upgraded us to a beach bungalow.

We got in around noon on Friday & there was someone waiting for us at the airport with a ‘Sheraton’ sign. There were about 20 of us on the boat to the hotel, which took about 15-20 minutes. We got a bottle of water on the boat. The boat transfer was $66 per person for the roundtrip. When we got to the hotel we were greeted by Vijendra & were pleasantly surprised to find out that we had all been upgraded to overwater bungalows. The check-in was quick at the platinum desk, which is right next to the greeting area as soon as we stepped off the boat. We were served ice cream & juice while the check-in process took place. Also, at check-in I was given a brochure with the total number of points I had & options on how I could redeem them for stuff like food, excursions, bathrobes, etc. Nice touch.

The overwater bungalows are the first rooms you come to, just 25-30 meters from the greeting area. I think there were a total of 20 overwater bungalows in that row. The general reception & all the restaurants are a little further ahead & the beach bungalows & deluxe rooms are on the other side of the island. I think I saw a few more overwater bungalows on the other side of the island as well. The reception area has a little library with four computers offering free internet as well as free wifi in that area.

Our room was very nice. A large king bed, a nice settee with 2 windows on either side, a decent size patio with direct access to the water. The bathroom on the other hand was a little strange. There was a decent size tub, a separate shower area & 2 sinks, but the WC area was very small & cramped. They had very unique bottles for the shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, etc & would refill them every morning. Also, the AC did not work too well. There was a problem both in our room as well as our parents. We called to complain & someone was there in an instant to fix it, but even after working on it twice (once on Friday & then again on Saturday) the room did not cool properly. We met someone else staying a few bungalows from us & even they said the same thing. I guess the AC units do not work properly in the overwater bungalows. The room service menu was very expensive & so was the mini bar. We did however get 2 free bottles of water every day.

It rained all of Friday so we could not do much that day. My wife & mom went to the spa. They said it was ok & quite expensive. I never got a look at the pricing but if my wife thought it was expensive then it must have been. We went for dinner to the Full Moon Restaurant that night, which served a dinner buffet. There were a bunch of other places we could have gone to, like the Thai restaurant or the Atoll Grill, which served themed dinners every night. We thought we would try the buffet on the first night & then go to the other restaurants on the other nights. That turned out to be a mistake as we were not aware of the fact that some of the restaurants are closed on certain days of the week. So we basically ended up having most of our meals at the Full Moon Restaurant. Dinner was $55 per person & breakfast was $27 per person. The food was ok, nothing to write home about, but we had a lot of choice.

The next morning (Saturday), was nice & sunny. It rained a bit early morning but the rest of the day was great. I went swimming off my patio right outside my room. The water was turquoise blue & less than 5 feet deep. While in the water I saw a reef shark swim past me (about 10 feet away) as well as a bunch of rays & lots of other colorful fish. This was very cool. We signed up for a bunch of excursions for the rest of the day. There are different days for different activities. Listed below are the days & prices for each excursion. The price mentioned below is for adults, for children everything was half priced:

Kuda Bandos Snorkeling Monday & Thursday $55

Reef Snorkeling Monday – Sunday $40

Male’ Ferry Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat & Sun $45

Sunset Dolphin Cruise Monday, Wednesday & Saturday $45

Full Day Island Hopping Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday $105

Sunset Fishing Tuesday, Friday & Sunday $55

Half Day Island Hopping Wednesday & Saturday $60

We ended up doing Reef Snorkeling, the Male’ Ferry & Sunset Fishing. All of it was pretty good. Would have loved to do the Kuda Bandos Snorkeling but it was only available on Mondays & Thursdays.

The last day (Sunday) my wife & I went swimming again outside our room. No shark this time but we did see the rays again. While my mom & wife took the Male’ Ferry to the capital to do some shopping, my dad & I went Sunset Fishing. We all caught a bunch of fish & the resort gives you an option of cooking you the fish you caught for dinner. The cost is $22 per plate. We wanted to have dinner at one of the other restaurants (Casa Luna) but it was closed on Sundays so we once again ate at the Full Moon Restaurant.

When I woke up this morning I saw a letter under my door letting me know that I had the option to use points to clear my bill. Every 750 points would give me a $10 credit on my bill. I decided to skip this option & once I cleared the bill in the afternoon we were on our way back to Male’ on the speedboat.

All in all, the stay was pretty good. I would go back again if I got a good deal but am very tempted to check out the W next time. I must thank Vijendra for all his help. He got us a very nice upgrade, a cake on the house for my parents anniversary & went out of his way a bunch of times to do things for us. He is also the reservation manager for the W property & I told him I would keep him posted on my future plans on visiting the Maldives again.

Last edited by Keyser; Jan 19, 2010 at 4:23 am
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by saad
All in all, the stay was pretty good. I would go back again if I got a good deal but am very tempted to check out the W next time. I must thank Vijendra for all his help. He got us a very nice upgrade, a cake on the house for my parents anniversary & went out of his way a bunch of times to do things for us. He is also the reservation manager for the W property & I told him I would keep him posted on my future plans on visiting the Maldives again.
Great report, having just returned from our second trip to the W Retreat we had been chatting to the Manager about the Sheraton. To be fair from what you have written and also what we picked up from people at the W, I would think the Sheraton is not in the same league as the W, although it would be fair to say this is reflected in the price.
As someone we were chatting to put it, if you have never been to the W the Sheraton in nice, but once you have stayed at the W it is unlikely you would want to return to the Sheraton.

That said I am tempted to try it for a few nights to see what its like!
Old Aug 17, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Very nice trip report. We have 3 nights in a OWB booked on a Z3R rate (not bad, $370 a night for the OWB) before a longer stay at the FS Landaa. Would love an upgrade to a water villa or water suite, but I'm 99.9% sure that's not going to happen.

Interesting to hear that they had instant rewards available. Other than the 750pts for $10 thing, was there any direct redepmptions -- that is, say xxx points for breakfast? Instant rewards for food sometimes are great deals.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by paullevi
Very nice trip report. We have 3 nights in a OWB booked on a Z3R rate (not bad, $370 a night for the OWB) before a longer stay at the FS Landaa. Would love an upgrade to a water villa or water suite, but I'm 99.9% sure that's not going to happen.

Interesting to hear that they had instant rewards available. Other than the 750pts for $10 thing, was there any direct redepmptions -- that is, say xxx points for breakfast? Instant rewards for food sometimes are great deals.
they gave me a list with loads of direct redemption options....i could use xxx number of points for dinner for 2 at one of the restaurants, or for one of the excursions, or to purchase items like bathrobes....
Old Sep 3, 2009, 3:11 am

Just got back today from a 3 night stay at the Sheraton full moon resort & spa...
Thank you very much saad for the trip report.

We are planning to stay at this property for 4 nights during the last week of October for our Honeymoon and are deciding whether we should book the OWB or Beachfront Deluxe (I doubt we will get an upgrade here is a Gold). The different in rates is not as bad as I thought (<US$50-$100) and so we are leaning towards booking an OWB. A few questions:

1. The SPG website currently lists an "Island Cottage" available, I assume this is the OWB?

2. Our flight from SIN arrives at 10pm local time and on our last day our flight departs at 11:25pm - will the speedboats be operating during those times? Also, any experience with requesting late check-out? I know that the late check-out benefit does not apply at this property, but just wanted to see if others have been able to get a later check-out, especially with our late flight time; unless there is something else we can do nearby for the afternoon/early evening.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doesun
Thank you very much saad for the trip report.

We are planning to stay at this property for 4 nights during the last week of October for our Honeymoon and are deciding whether we should book the OWB or Beachfront Deluxe (I doubt we will get an upgrade here is a Gold). The different in rates is not as bad as I thought (<US$50-$100) and so we are leaning towards booking an OWB. A few questions:

1. The SPG website currently lists an "Island Cottage" available, I assume this is the OWB?

2. Our flight from SIN arrives at 10pm local time and on our last day our flight departs at 11:25pm - will the speedboats be operating during those times? Also, any experience with requesting late check-out? I know that the late check-out benefit does not apply at this property, but just wanted to see if others have been able to get a later check-out, especially with our late flight time; unless there is something else we can do nearby for the afternoon/early evening.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Not sure what an 'Island Cottage' is but there were some larger OWB towards the end of the bridge from the regular OWB. I don't know whether these were the Over Water Suites or the 'Island Cottage', but they were about 1.5 times the size of the regular OWB.

You have to email the hotel & give them the flight details otherwise you may miss out on the airport transfer. My advise would be to call & ask for the room reservation manager Vijendra. He was very helpful & organised everything for us. I plan on going back there soon so am still in touch with him & just received an email from him the other day. You can give my reference as well if you feel like it. He should be able to arrange everything for you. I would also talk to him about the late checkout. Since he is incharge of all the rooms he would be in the best position to help you out there as well.

In the event you don't get a late checkout I would suggest going to the town of Male'. You can easily kill a number of hours here as there is lots to see.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 5:29 am

Not sure what an 'Island Cottage' is but there were some larger OWB towards the end of the bridge from the regular OWB. I don't know whether these were the Over Water Suites or the 'Island Cottage', but they were about 1.5 times the size of the regular OWB.

The island cottages are different from OWBs. I was told that the larger OWBs are still to be completed, and these would be luxury OWBs. The size definitely is much better to the regular ones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.