Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisdeaner
Expert Review (posted in Luxury Forum) from Jan 2018 from Villa stay:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...encounter-2352

Restrictions on the Acceptance of US Currency

Due to recent local regulations, the acceptance of US Dollars in cash is now restricted across Mexico. Payments with credit/debit cards remain unaffected. Please provide arrangements to settle your accounts and other expenses with a credit card or in Mexican Pesos. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause our guests.
FYI - the hotel also can't exchange USD<>MXN but they do have an ATM near the lobby (downstairs by the meeting rooms) that dispenses Pesos.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:55 pm

They fog this beautiful resort property daily. I still rate this resort as one of the best.

Last edited by Centurion; Jul 30, 2016 at 12:06 am Reason: Removed remark
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hospitality
Dear guest,

Greetings from sunny Punta Mita! Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we really appreciate it. We are happy to hear The St. Regis Punta Mita is one of your favorite resorts.
On the other hand, regarding the daily fog, as you may know Punta Mita complex is full-surrounded by Riviera Nayarit's nature, this is the reason our Resort takes security majors and preventions, including the Zika mosquito, which we have never heard before about any particular case around here. In case you need more assistance, do not hesitate in contacting us at [email protected]
We will be delighted to help you!

Best regards,
The St. Regis Punta Mita team.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:18 am

We will be staying at the St Regis and I have a couple of questions:

We have reserved the private SUV through the hotel concierge. Will the driver allow us to stop and buy some soft drinks and beer for our stay?
If so, will the hotel be OK with us bringing that to our room when we check in?

Also, is it advisable to bring some pesos with us for things like tipping and other non credit card expenses or will US dollars be more welcomed?

Thanks
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by milemonkey

We have reserved the private SUV through the hotel concierge. Will the driver allow us to stop and buy some soft drinks and beer for our stay?

Also, is it advisable to bring some pesos with us for things like tipping and other non credit card expenses or will US dollars be more welcomed?

Thanks

Our driver offered to stop, though we did not take him up on it. I am sure the hotel will be accommodating...the generally only use the word "yes." Note that the hotel offers unlimited complimentary bottled water, so no need to buy that. I don't remember if the room has a refrigerator....I think it's a stocked mini-bar. My guess is your butler would clear space for you if asked, or maybe bring an extra fridge.

Yes, you will want pesos for tipping. We took good care of our butler as well as the beach attendant and they took care of us back. For example, the beach attendance, Juan, at the adult beach, had our chairs setup in preferred spot every day for us, and also brought us some free cocktails and snacks a few times.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:40 am

Thanks
In my experience, you can do or get anything you want in Mexico by slipping somebody a few bucks.

Cheers,
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Flews
In my experience, you can do or get anything you want in Mexico by slipping somebody a few bucks.

Cheers,
While you should, of course, tip all service people, "slipping someone a few bucks" is not needed at this property in order to get what you want. They are one of the most customer service focused hotels I have ever been to and they will work to accommodate any request that they are able to. Again, of course you should tip, but you don't need to bribe anyone.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
While you should, of course, tip all service people, "slipping someone a few bucks" is not needed at this property in order to get what you want. They are one of the most customer service focused hotels I have ever been to and they will work to accommodate any request that they are able to. Again, of course you should tip, but you don't need to bribe anyone.
The hotel includes a 10% service on all room rates to alleviate the need for tipping. So it's totally unnecessary, but we will still tip our Butler and occasionally the beach crew because they are so good.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21
The hotel includes a 10% service on all room rates to alleviate the need for tipping. So it's totally unnecessary, but we will still tip our Butler and occasionally the beach crew because they are so good.
It is very inexpensive to make people very happy with some pesos.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
It is very inexpensive to make people very happy with some pesos.
True, but carrying around cash everywhere at a beach resort can be a hassle, so I just wanted to point out that tipping for every little bit of service is not necessary or expected here like at other Mexican resorts.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:36 pm

We are currently st this wonderful resort and having a great time. The butler service is very helpful buy I have a question. While we have texted our butlers we have not met them in person. I was wondering how we could leave them a gratuity?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:43 pm

We are currently st this wonderful resort and having a great time. The butler service is very helpful buy I have a question. While we have texted our butlers we have not met them in person. I was wondering how we could leave them a gratuity?
Order coffee or tea service to the room, and they'll show up in approx. 10-15 minutes.

I'm surprised you haven't met your butler in person. Ours stopped by when we arrived, brought us coffee service each morning, and usually checked on us again at some point during the day.

But either way, a quick call to butler services with a request that they stop by is probably the easiest way.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:56 pm

Also surprised, our Butler came to our room right away. One word of advice: We tipped our butler well on the first day, wanting him to know that we respected him and thinking that he would be taking care of us the whole time. However, they switch every few days, so better to tip daily, or when they let you know that they are switching.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Priority Club Plat, Club Carlson Gold, Hertz
Not a place to worry about tipping

I called the resort before my first stay to ask about the tipping situation, because I hate to worry about it and I hate to carry small bills around. They told me that for paying guests, a 10% gratuity is added on so guests do not need to tip during their stay. For people staying on points (me), we can leave a tip at the end of the stay.

This is what I do, and I've never had anything other than stellar service. When checking out, I leave one envelope for the butlers, and one for the rest of the staff. If some staff member went above and beyond for us, I keep a mental note of their name and leave an envelope for them too. It would really be impossible to tip for everything because so many staff members are waiting on you constantly.

My advice is to relax and enjoy, don't stress the tipping, and just take care of it at the end. (Food & drink are the exception, you do leave a gratuity along the way there)

Last edited by umamy; Dec 7, 2016 at 10:33 pm
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by umamy
(Food & drink are the exception, you do leave a gratuity along the way there)
On top of the 10%? How much do you leave on average?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
On top of the 10%? How much do you leave on average?
I tipped 15-20%. This is high for Mexico, and I know that, and the prices are also high for Mexico. But when I'm having the time of my life in one of the most amazing and gorgeous places, it makes me feel better to be generous. The generosity is always returned .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.