Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

'Make a Green Choice' (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping for 250/500 Starpoints or $5 credit

Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Receive Starpoints or credit for declining housekeeping.

See the Starwood Green Choice Program Description & FAQ for details.

Green Choice options, awarded at check out for each night you decline housekeeping services (except day of departure) :
North America & Europe/Middle East
500 Starpoints, at participating Sheraton, Westin, Luxury Collection, Le Méridien, St. Regis and W locations.
250 Starpoints at participating Aloft, Element and Four Points by Sheraton locations.
Or $5 USD (amount may change based on location/region) voucher at participating food and beverage outlets within the hotel.
Latin America
Participating hotels provide a 250 Starpoint option or $5 Food & Beverage option only
Asia Pacific
Participating hotels provide a 250 Starpoint option only.

The maximum number of Green Choice nights allowed is determined by each hotel, but is normally 3 consecutive nights. For longer stays, after housekeeping on the 4th night, you can usually then have another 3 consecutive Green Choice nights.

Flyertalk wiki of participating and non-participating Green Choice properties :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1503438-post-properties-participate-make-green-choice-program.html#post21451970
Print Wikipost

'Make a Green Choice' (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping for 250/500 Starpoints or $5 credit

Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
It's not a hotel policy. What they are saying is not having a break, they're saying it's three nights total in one reservation, whether it's consecutive or not.

They're saying they're following spg rules. This is the Sheraton Puerto Vallarta if anyone is concerned.
Which is exactly what I would expect the property to say. It is very common for CSRs and such to make up and quote rules that don't exist to prove their point. Just like FT'ers will take what's happened to them to be gospel. If you read up thread you will find many posts where more than three nights earned points, but only when staying more than five nights.

Given it's the weekend, you're probably not going to get anywhere. You could try calling SPG and get their take on it and maybe they will be able to "educate" the property.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Cool

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Which is exactly what I would expect the property to say. It is very common for CSRs and such to make up and quote rules that don't exist to prove their point. Just like FT'ers will take what's happened to them to be gospel. If you read up thread you will find many posts where more than three nights earned points, but only when staying more than five nights.

Given it's the weekend, you're probably not going to get anywhere. You could try calling SPG and get their take on it and maybe they will be able to "educate" the property.
Well looking on the faqs on top of the page it seems they are correct.

Make a Green Choice.points are awarded for maximum conservation of three nights per stay before receiving housekeeping service.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....If you read up thread you will find many posts where more than three nights earned points, but only when staying more than five nights.....
That's consistent with max three night rule if you do the math.

Properties require you to have housekeeping service on third night; you can have MAGC for two nights only. If you stay for four nights, you still can only have MAGC for two nights as they need to perform housekeeping on third and you are checking out on fourth. You can have more MAGC if you stay for five nights or more.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Well looking on the faqs on top of the page it seems they are correct.
No, that just says you must get housekeeping once every three days. If you are there for seven days, then five nights can be covered. So if you check in on Sunday, then no cleaning on Mon - Wed, cleaning on Thu, no cleaning on Fri - Sat.

We can only speak of our experiences. I doubt the Lurkers are online over the weekend. SPG Plat Desk may be able to help.

edit: Reading the SPG page it does say: The maximum number of nights allowed is determined by each hotel.

So YMMV.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:49 am

No, that just says you must get housekeeping once every three days. If you are there for seven days, then five nights can be covered. So if you check in on Sunday, then no cleaning on Mon - Wed, cleaning on Thu, no cleaning on Fri - Sat.

We can only speak of our experiences. I doubt the Lurkers are online over the weekend. SPG Plat Desk may be able to help.

edit: Reading the SPG page it does say: The maximum number of nights allowed is determined by each hotel.

So YMMV.
Yup and one they read that point, they said that is our rule. Just made it up then and there, even though earlier they were saying they were following SPG rules.

I need to mention that the concierge are in charge of it and she has a pin that says trainee. Explaining that travelling worldwide is not the case did not help. However, she is a lovely person.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:14 pm

Yup and one they read that point, they said that is our rule. Just made it up then and there, even though earlier they were saying they were following SPG rules.

I need to mention that the concierge are in charge of it and she has a pin that says trainee. Explaining that travelling worldwide is not the case did not help. However, she is a lovely person.
Just to follow up, they did contact SPG to confirm and it seems they are correct. 3 nights max in one stay.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to follow up, they did contact SPG to confirm and it seems they are correct. 3 nights max in one stay.
I'm stopping at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22423493-post735.html. I think you are having a language problem with the property (or they are making things up). If you are still there into next week, I'd suggest a follow up with the Lurkers to get their take on this (again).
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
That is not correct. It's three nights max on a longer stay before a one-night housekeeping break becomes mandatory, and then MAGC nights resume, based on my experience at several properties.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:04 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Had I known this option was avail, I would have taken it at W, NY TS. There house keeping probably did the whole job in 5 minutes. Stains on tables on arrival and departure.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:36 am

I'm stopping at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22423493-post735.html. I think you are having a language problem with the property (or they are making things up). If you are still there into next week, I'd suggest a follow up with the Lurkers to get their take on this (again).
I'm leaving today so nothing I can do. I'll only be missing one MAGC credit. I'll leave it for the lurkers to chime in later.

As forbthe language barrier, it is not a problem. But it seems it is they who are having a difficult time understanding the rules.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:10 am

Just to give an update on the issue. I saw the duty manager today and spoke with her about the problem. She told me that the concierge did speak with her about the issue and they were told that I was right.

She said that she will post the additional points since I requested it in the first place. She was not here yesterday so it was difficult to tell them about the process.

All in all, everything went well towards the end.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to give an update on the issue. I saw the duty manager today and spoke with her about the problem. She told me that the concierge did speak with her about the issue and they were told that I was right.

She said that she will post the additional points since I requested it in the first place. She was not here yesterday so it was difficult to tell them about the process.

All in all, everything went well towards the end.
Glad to hear you got it worked out! I get irked when I have to train property staff on the rules of their company.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm all for green options and programs, even though I know some of it is more to benefit the property than the guest.

I'm tired of properties that talk green (whine about the detergent and water it takes to wash towels and linens) yet don't train staff to follow through with your instructions (they renew towels and linens regardless of hanging up towels and not using change tags.

I'm tired of properties that engage in green initiatives and fail to restruct water usage by the various devices available through modern plumbing technology. Particularly in places with water limitations and droughts, like the U.S. West.

I'm frankly tired of properties that claim "green" iniciative and provide only covered duvets of the kind you'd need in 1950s-60s winter Europe when heat was marginal, without sheets, which require you to crank on rhe air con to take the room to meat locker temperatures overnight to get a comfortable sleep.

I'm at the Sheraton Lisboa, where they get some of it - not all - right. I'm here for five nights, booked via SPG, so this is a MAGC eligible stay. I'll see if I get MAGC credit tonight. My perspective:

Positive: we change linens weekly in my home; they'll not change linens daily here.

They actually respect your expressed wish of using your towels once more by leaving them hanging up.

They provide a bin / wastebasket in-room for glass and plastc, and ask that paper be left on rhe floor next to rhe bin.

The electric blind allows you to cut down sun and heat when it's hot (our high floor room has a southern exposure).

Neutral: I'm not sure who is being served - or shorted - when I'm offered 5€ f&b credit or 500 points when I don't use housekeeping.

The card key operated master electric switch (usually easily bypassed with an old, generic hotel keycard) may actually use more power to bring room temperature back to that desired by the guest, and it can be inconvenient to wait 1/2 an hour or longer to bring the room to habitability.

Negative: the lovely pivoting double arm hansgrohe rain shower and other bathroom fixtutes use massive amounts of water.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 20, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Old May 4, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Well for what It's worth we had a recent 5 night stay at the Sheraton Nashville Downtown and they let us decline housekeeping for all 4 days ( I asked for 3 and was asked if I wanted all 4 ). We called once to get shampoo/ conditioner/ coffee replenished and daily for coffee/ cream/ sugar replenishment ( spotty at times coffee but no creamer etc till we called again ).
We checked out and the points were credited, correctly, that very night. The smoothest I have known yet.
Old May 8, 2015, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by BanffJasper
What's missed:

Bed sheet and towels won't be replaced. Toilet won't be cleaned. Coffee cups will be left the way they were. To go green means no additional water or electricity will be consumed.
Absolutely my fault, but I missed that housekeeping was totally eliminated. I'm MAGC at the W Austin right now. Based on my experience this stay, I'll just choose to hang my towels and leave the door hanger on my nightstand (signaling no change of sheets) - which, in my view, takes care of the vast majority of the excess electricity and water usage. That way I'll have the cleaning service as well as hopefully the upside of not contributing to eliminating someone's cleaning job for 500 Starpoints/night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.