Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Chiang Mai (former Le Meridien), Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Chiang Mai (former Le Meridien), Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:16 pm

What would be considered a "good" rate here? Looking at about $140 a night for my dates right now. Makes it a decent value on points but not amazing.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:51 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
High season / Peak season (Winter) is about 4-6k thb ++

U will only get it cheaper during off/low season
Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Even this summer the prices were on the higher side of things. The couple of times I stayed last year it seemed to be a group tour hotel.

They've also climbed to a Cat 3.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Is it easy to book a cheap group tour near this hotel? By that I mean are there some tour agencies in the vicinity. Want to join a group tour to Doi Inthanon.

Thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by italdesign
By that I mean are there some tour agencies in the vicinity..
Tons of them.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I am in love with this place - both the hotel and the location. Perhaps due to some less than stellar comments here, I had low expectation and was pleasantly surprised. The basic room is huge. The bed is super comfy. They really hit the right balance between functionality and aesthetics, unlike DoubleTree Kuala Lumpur where I spent the previous week, which looked nice but lacked usability. A steal when it was a cat2; sad (but understandable) that it's no longer.

The location is perfect for me - right next to multiple markets for shopping and tons of food and bars and live music, but also enough away from Old Town that you can find restaurants for Thais priced for Thais and cooked according to local preference. I love both the energy of the market area and the tranquility of temples at night.

Originally Posted by tfong007
There is an awesome spa thats just across the street from the hotel down from the burger king called Fah Lanna. Same price as all the other massage spots but this one is ranked in the Tripadvisor Top 10 Spas. Make sure to book in advance.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for this recommendation. They gave me a terrific massage and I aim to return every day while I'm here.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I just spent 2 nights here and as a Gold, was upgraded from an "Espace Studio" room to a very nice Executive Suite, likely because the hotel seemed to be full. The suite was fabulous, with a nice large walk-in closet and giant bathroom with two sinks and a bathtub that easily accommodated me and my GF. Breakfast on the ground floor was very crowded and some foods weren't replenished in a timely manner. The buffet was average at best. The swimming pool was impressive but the ambiance was diminished by unruly children. Service was consistently excellent and overall the experience was quite positive, partly because of the suite upgrade. I would stay here again if I wanted to be downtown and the rate was reasonable, but might try another hotel (Veranda High Resort) for a different experience.
I imagine breakfast was not included as a GOLD?

I'm a GOLD and thinking of a stay here in April and appears as if the best I can hope for is an upgrade, but no lounge access or breakfast? Any drink coupons or discounts at the restaurants?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by canesfan

I'm a GOLD and thinking of a stay here in April and appears as if the best I can hope for is an upgrade, but no lounge access or breakfast? Any drink coupons or discounts at the restaurants?
I stayed in November for 2 days, with 3 rooms reserved. I felt that they gave me the bare minimum in terms of platinum benefits. I got an upgrade to a "club floor" for one room.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
I stayed in November for 2 days, with 3 rooms reserved. I felt that they gave me the bare minimum in terms of platinum benefits. I got an upgrade to a "club floor" for one room.
Yeah that's what I thinking. To make matters worst, my stay would be 1 week after the current SPG promo ends (4/15/17) so no bonus points for me. But the location does look great...
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by canesfan

I've stayed here twice as a Gold and received nothing out of the ordinary; that said, this is a spectacular property and people are focusing more on what they are not receiving rather than what's on offer here: A relaxing stay in a tranquil environment; try to enjoy it.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by donotblink
Were you in fact expecting the Platinum benefits for the rooms in which you were not staying in?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by UASPG
Were you in fact expecting the Platinum benefits for the rooms in which you were not staying in?
No, I just felt that they did the minimum. I saw that they were still selling more premium rooms and standard suites when I checked in. I didn't specifically ask for an upgrade, but the club floor room looks just like the other two. I didn't say that they didn't meet the requirements...those rooms that they were still selling could have been pre-blocked for other Platinum members. I'm plat 50, maybe they were blocked for Platinum 75 or 100 members. Or, maybe because I only booked about 48 hours in advanced, they had just already been blocked for other platinum members at my same tier.

I received breakfast and lounge access for two, which is what I was entitled to.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:58 pm

Perhaps I felt underwhelmed because this was sandwiched between other stays I was doing in China, where I was treated with better amenities than I usually receive in the United Sates. I also don't normally stay at the Le Meridian brand, so I didn't know what to expect from them, and to be honest, I don't understand how the brand is supposed to be segmented from the other brands that seem to have specific niches.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Stayed here a few days ago. As a gold member I received a free welcome drink at the bar and 4pm checkout. Could have opted for 250 points but I was thirsty ! The bed and room was very comfortable. I did not expect a free breakfast. It can be purchased with cash or 1250 points if you really want to eat in-house.
I prefer to eat outside at the markets or on the street. I hear they have some good Thai food in Thailand.
Once, In the past I received an upgrade to a huge three room corner suite which I did not expect. They did offer some discounts at the spa and restaurants , around 20% , if I remember correctly.

Last edited by Paiteaw; Jan 10, 2017 at 9:34 pm Reason: Sp
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
An additional, though perhaps undocumented, PLT benefit at this hotel is that PLTs can have Illy brand coffee at breakfast. You must request it. If you're not PLT, Illy coffee is still available, but at additional cost.

Originally Posted by Paiteaw
Once, In the past I received an upgrade to a huge three room corner suite which I did not expect.
I believe that this is the standard PLT upgrade suite. You're right, it is very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.