Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: St Regis Butler Service : what do they do? how much do you tip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DC777Fan
Commonly asked questions about St. Regis "Butlers:"

1. What requests can they fulfill?
Generally, butlers can unpack/pack your suitcases, press a few pieces of laundry at no charge, act as a single POC for your requests to many different hotel departments, and other hotel-related services.

2. Should I tip my butler? How much?
The prevailing thought process in the thread suggests butlers should at least be tipped for "above and beyond" type service, and potentially more at your discretion and accounting for local tipping customs.

Other St. Regis Butler Information:
-If your room rate includes "Butler Service," coffee and tea (usually comes with small bites) will be delivered to your room at no charge upon request. Not all rooms at all hotels come with Butler Service.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: St Regis Butler Service : what do they do? how much do you tip?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
St Regis Butler Packing Service

Has anyone ever used this advertised service? Unpacking? Experiences?
Typically when I leave a hotel all my clothes are in the laundry bags!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by SAN 1K
Has anyone ever used this advertised service? Unpacking? Experiences?
Typically when I leave a hotel all my clothes are in the laundry bags!
There is some mention of it in this thread
FAQ: Butlers: what do they do? how much do you tip?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:10 am

St Regis butler service

Will be staying at the st regis osaka and i just read about the butler service. Do peopl actually ask the butler to com and fold their cloths before leaving?
It woud be too weird.

I am interested in the beverages service though. Does anyone know if its once per stay or anytime? Could i request for coffee ( does it include cappuchino?) in the AM then the in the afternoon?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:18 am

Programs: SPG Plat
I do - I suck at folding clothes..

Unlimited tea and coffee delivered to your room... anytime...
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The search string 'butler, coffee' is productive. It will also lead to specific threads for St Regis Osaka.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by hqly2001
Will be staying at the st regis osaka and i just read about the butler service. Do peopl actually ask the butler to com and fold their cloths before leaving?
It woud be too weird.

I am interested in the beverages service though. Does anyone know if its once per stay or anytime? Could i request for coffee ( does it include cappuchino?) in the AM then the in the afternoon?
Have you viewed this thread?
FAQ: Butlers: what do they do? how much do you tip?

I've also requested a merge.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Can't vouch for that hotel, but my only experience with a St. Regis butler was in NYC, where the butler looked at me like something he had scraped off his shoe as he accompanied me to my room and then went on his merry way, never to be seen again during my stay. Well, others may have seen him. I didn't.

Mike
Old Jan 24, 2013, 3:49 pm

It woud be too weird.

I am hearing too many stories about St. Regis 'Butlers' not providing very much 'Service'. (see post just before this one, for example). I think maybe many of us are either too polite to ask, or just not used to the option.

So I say ride 'em hard, and put 'em away wet! It'sa 'bout time we put this highly 'Butler Service' through its paces.

Cheers,
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:11 pm

Sounds like most butler would do anything for you. I read a post where one drove the guy to pick up a pizza.. wow.. i'm sure that's probably not going to fly at most places. But i'd like to order tea or coffee a couple of times a day.. as long as you tip them, everyone wins!

Some poster stated that they were able to get juice and cookies etc.. i wonder if the tea and coffee service include snacks too.. website doesn;t state it, but maybe some do.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Tipping depends on local customs and whether the hotel has a service charge.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
It woud be too weird.

I haven't stayed in the property in Osaka, but have stayed in a number of properties with the butler service.

They will offer to unpack your bags on arrival - I have never used this because to your point, I would think it was weird as well. I hadn't heard of the packing service, but it makes sense with everything else.

What the butlers have done for me is stuff like bring fresh coffee in the morning, filled ice buckets in the evening, taken clothes to be pressed (hotel charge), etc.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:50 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
I as at St Regis Osaka for a week at Christmas. You can ask the butler to unpack your luggage and put everything away, but most westerners are not used to having someone else do this for them, me included.

We ordered espresso every morning and then whenever we felt like it. You can even use the butler as a wake-up service, ring the door bell, open the curtains, and deliver coffee and newspaper. There is also a butler closet next to the room's door, so you can leave things for the butler, which you want done, like laundry, shoes to shine, etc.

Generally, I enjoyed the butler service more in Europe than in Japan, but it's still very pleasant. Remember not to tip in Japan. Some find it offensive.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by RichardKopf
Remember not to tip in Japan. Some find it offensive.
So in genersl, are we not suppsed to tip in japan? Ive been told several times, but ive heard some accept tips.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:51 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
So in genersl, are we not suppsed to tip in japan? Ive been told several times, but ive heard some accept tips.
Usually, only at the traditional/expensive Ryokan in Japan(not western style hotels).
There was the custom that guests give some monetary gift to the lady who takes the guests to the room and takes care of them through out their stay.
She acts as the butler.

But this is very traditional way and young Japanese people know nothing about such custom and we are losing the custom eventually.

All the western style hotels/restaurants in Japan, no need to tip at all!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Tak
All the western style hotels/restaurants in Japan, no need to tip at all!
Yes, but then why do restaurants in some western style hotels in Japan add a "service charge" to the bill?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.