Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: St Regis Butler Service : what do they do? how much do you tip?

Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DC777Fan
Commonly asked questions about St. Regis "Butlers:"

1. What requests can they fulfill?
Generally, butlers can unpack/pack your suitcases, press a few pieces of laundry at no charge, act as a single POC for your requests to many different hotel departments, and other hotel-related services.

2. Should I tip my butler? How much?
The prevailing thought process in the thread suggests butlers should at least be tipped for "above and beyond" type service, and potentially more at your discretion and accounting for local tipping customs.

Other St. Regis Butler Information:
-If your room rate includes "Butler Service," coffee and tea (usually comes with small bites) will be delivered to your room at no charge upon request. Not all rooms at all hotels come with Butler Service.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: St Regis Butler Service : what do they do? how much do you tip?

Old Dec 14, 2008, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Originally Posted by airphone
How much should you tip for this service?
This might help a bit: http://b2.boards2go.com/boards/board...=modernbutlers
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Did I miss something?

How much to tip for a shirt press? Coffee?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

theres also discussion of butlers/tipping in luxury hotels forum.

i might try and get the threads into sticky soon.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 6:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat Elite, Continental Gold, bmi Silver, SPG Plat, HiltonDiamond
What do Butlers do?

I like to pack and unpack my own suitcase but being super busy and jet slagged I do occasionall call on the help of Butlers. Here are a few recent times I have called on their help:

1. Sent them on an errand to the convenience store (they bought a some essentials including a six pack of my favourite beer and some headache pills for the morning after. (St. Regis San Francisco)
2. Organize a lunch in my suite dining room for my parents. Including flowers. The Butler served the whole thing (Parmelia Hilton Perth)
3. Served afternoon traditional afternoon tea in the suite - business meeting(The Lanesborough London)
4. Polished my ostrich cowboys boots (Sheraton Perth Hotel) while I slept off jet lag
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
The Park Tower BA comes with a butler. Most of the above is applicable to our situation. I have four nights coming up this week. Any suggestions on what to tip for "included items (tea/wake up) or is it basically how the four nights play out and my level of satisfaction? I read where a person did an initial tip, then tipped at the end? How much is too little and too much?

thanks!

-singtx
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Here is a Q&A about butlers from the St. Regis NY's website.
http://www.stregisnewyork.com/resour...NY_F09_p19.pdf
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
First time at a St. Regis -- what is the Butler Service?

What can I use it for?

Is it just an enhaced way of saying "guest services"?

What do they do for you that is not charged?

How much tip?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT, PC PLAT
Originally Posted by anaggie
What can I use it for?

Is it just an enhaced way of saying "guest services"?

What do they do for you that is not charged?

How much tip?
I second this question! I'll be staying at the St Regis Singapore this weekend for 3 nights. I think I had Butler Service at the Park Hyatt Tokyo but never used it because I just didn't fully understand it. lol

Suggestions???
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
Smile

My wife and I also stayed at the St. Regis Grand Rome and was given Butler services which we knew involved (at that time) complementary coffee / tea / espresso / crumpets delivered to your room in the morning. They would also help you unpack your bags if needed into the dressers, etc. We had no idea what else they would do, but didn't want to push our "privilege" too far.

We recently spent a night at the St. Regis - Aspen (using a FWN) and I asked one of the Butlers who drove me to get a pizza at a local pizza place what services are available through a St. Regis Butler Service. He said that they are there to help assist with in house arrangements (i.e. chauffeur services, in room requests, dinner reservations, in room dining, spa reservations, etc.) as well as a few other goodies. They will press up to two garments at no additional charge, unpack your bags if requested, arrange chauffeur services, assist with any power conversion needs (plugs, etc.), and basically act as your Westin "Service Express" person.

St. Regis has done away with the coffee service delivered to your room at no additional charge (not sure if it is across the board or not) but at the St. Regis - Aspen the have coffee, tea, and hot chocolate available in the lobby at no charge.

One important thing he pointed out is that you can request champagne delivered to your room, which is a FREE Butler service benefit. When I returned to the hotel, I called the Butler, asked for the complementary champagne delivered to my room and a few minutes later, a knock on the door, a 3/4 size bottle of Moet on ice and two glasses appeared with the Butler. Nice touch. Again, not sure if this is just at St. Regis - Aspen or across the board.

Next morning, looked at the bill, no champagne service charge. Nice......
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by NWAsilvELITE
I called the Butler, asked for the complementary champagne delivered to my room and a few minutes later, a knock on the door, a 3/4 size bottle of Moet on ice and two glasses appeared with the Butler. Nice touch. Again, not sure if this is just at St. Regis - Aspen or across the board.

Next morning, looked at the bill, no champagne service charge. Nice......
Just to be clear, -- was the champagne itself free or just no service charge?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Just to be clear, -- was the champagne itself free or just no service charge?

The champagne and service was free. Of course a tip was given.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Scott218
Here is a Q&A about butlers from the St. Regis NY's website.
http://www.stregisnewyork.com/resour...NY_F09_p19.pdf
That's a nice write up. I dont use them often, besides some ironing.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
[Revised with more experience. See post later in thread.]

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Oct 27, 2015 at 10:11 pm
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
uses of a butler at SPG's in India

1. repacking a suitcase full of SPG toiletries (very convenient)
2. making arrangements for an electric tuk-tuk transfer to and from the Taj Mahal
3. shoe shine (not terribly impressed with the job they did)
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 1K, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm currently in a Grande Suite at SGS and have butler service. This is the first trip on which I'm actually interacting with my butler. I would describe it as he is my contact person for everything in the hotel. I call down for anything, and butler appears at my door.
Do you all tip in Thailand? I always give a small tip for the bags, but that's about it.

In China the same. 20 to 50 RMB

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.