Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

CLOSED 14Dec16 [BANKRUPT/IN RECEIVERSHIP] Sheraton Brussels, Belgium [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Following the bankruptcy of SBH SPRL, the operator of the Sheraton Brussels Hotel, the property has been forced to close. The hotel will close as of 12 noon on 14th December 2016.
Print Wikipost

CLOSED 14Dec16 [BANKRUPT/IN RECEIVERSHIP] Sheraton Brussels, Belgium [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by uxb
hor d'oeuvres ... connexion ... so difficult to us ...
Bad keyboard day again ?

FWIW, the offerings at this hotel are :
1 "The Link" in the lobby, with free wireless for all, and also some wired PCs with a mixture of QWERTY and AZERTY keyboards (just in case some non-foreigners want to stay).
2 Free wireless in the Club lounge (which can also be hooked into from many of the Club floor rooms), plus a couple of wired PCs with AZERTY keyboards.
3 Paid wired in the rooms, free for Plats.

I've never experienced any problems getting connected here.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Dec 3, 2010 at 1:14 pm
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:46 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Bad keyboard day again ?

FWIW, the offerings at this hotel are :
1 "The Link" in the lobby, with free wireless for all, and also some wired PCs with a mixture of QWERTY and AZERTY keyboards (just in case some non-foreigners want to stay).
2 Free wireless in the Club lounge (which can also be hooked into from many of the Club floor rooms), plus a couple of wired PCs with AZERTY keyboards.
3 Paid wired in the rooms, free for Plats.

I've never experienced any problems getting connected here.
Cute. Since we are going to pick away at my response...

In the first and third instances, the last letter of the word did not register because I have Windows Vista on my laptop. I am too lazy to downgrade to Windows XP despite the fact that Vista is so slow.

Deal with it.

Further, there is no problem with the spelling for “connexion.” See below for more details:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/connexion

Finally, English is a second language - one of at least seven that I know. You should worry about your own grammar and punctuation before you attempt to flame others.

Old Dec 3, 2010, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by stimpy
No, not true. Breakfast is free in the Club for Plats and people who pay for Club. The Sheraton isn't as good as the LM, but its always much cheaper.
We stayed at this Sheraton two months ago. We ate a "free breakfast" at the restaurant after the Host said that we could. There is a larger choice. Anyhow on checkout the agent said we had bad information but that they would honour the free breakfast.

At LM Brussels breakfast is not free but is superior IMO to the Sheraton. I agree with Stimpy the LM is a superior hotel, but the Sheraton has mre of an American feel to it. We stayed at the LM the previous week for a lower amount than the Sheraton was charging, around 100EU a night.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:02 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
We stayed at this Sheraton two months ago. We ate a "free breakfast" at the restaurant after the Host said that we could. There is a larger choice. Anyhow on checkout the agent said we had bad information but that they would honour the free breakfast.

At LM Brussels breakfast is not free but is superior IMO to the Sheraton. I agree with Stimpy the LM is a superior hotel, but the Sheraton has mre of an American feel to it. We stayed at the LM the previous week for a lower amount than the Sheraton was charging, around 100EU a night.
I wish I had swapped before coming to BRU. I booked C+P, and the LM offered C+P just days before I arrived. The only advantage to Sheraton Bruxelles is the fact that it is near Bruxelles-Nord Station and the Metro.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by uxb
The only advantage to Sheraton Bruxelles is the fact that it is near Bruxelles-Nord Station and the Metro.

LM is adjacent to Brussels Central train station. Sheraton is 10 minutes walk from Brussels North train station.

Both are adjacent to Metro stations (Central for LM, and Rogier for the Sheraton)
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:24 pm
uxb

North is closer to airport... I had a 7am flt on BA, which got cancelled (of course). Got door-to-door in 18 minutes (only to wait in queue at the customer service desk for 2,5 hours). IDK about Gare Central being any more/less closer based on the fact that this is my first (and last) stay at this hotel. I was just pointing out what I thought was convenient about this property in case others were contemplating staying here.

Unrelated to your response, all the restaurants on the first floor of this hotel are shuttered.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 6:34 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
It's free breakfast in the lounge, not in the restaurant. However we fell foul of this confusion also, perhaps some people just pay up! I've had some great room upgrades at the Sheraton.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Smile A great” Fairtrade stay” in the Sheraton Brussels!

Pictures: http://travel.webshots.com/album/580328867MqQXTt

Recently I had a great stay again in one of my favourite Starwood hotels around the world. I was upgraded to a Towersuite, the hotel appeared to be fully booked. Lucky me! I always like the Club/tower/executive floors and suites!

Check in was friendly and efficient. My suite was smaller than the corner suite I had before. I still liked it since it seems to be more lighter inside, because of the windows and the layout of the suite. I noticed the suite offers a dvd player and two Philips flatsquare tv’s! One large one in the livingroom, the one in the bedroom is still in the big tv cabinet.
The suite offered a kitchenette, dining table and a large sitting area with a couch and chairs. A spacious but outdated bathroom with a bathtub, though I had a nice bath here! Bathamenities in a suite should be more luxurious, instead of the usual Sheraton standard.
The suite offered a nice view of Brussels.
The refreshment centre offered something extra now. Besides the coffeemachine it offered a handy watercooker, to make hot chocolate or tea. I was positively surprised the instant coffee, tea and sugar was fair-trade! Its great the Sheraton Brussels offers fair trade products to their guests. I already noticed it for many years with KLM airlines. KLM offers fair-trade coffee and even biological products.
So, I was impressed with the improvements of the suites: the flatsquare tv in the sleepingroom, the fair-trade products, the extra watercooker in the refreshment center and the dvdplayer.

It was great to be in the Clublounge again. The expressomachine is really great and makes nice coffees. Thought I had used it many times before, this time I could not make a cup. I did not find a manual and did not know what make of the symbols and text on the display. I liked the cookies and was positively surprised of the Fairtrade products, with a range of Fairtrade teas.
In the evening the lounge offers free drinks and snacks. This time it was not busy, the waiter was very serviceminded. I always like the mustard so much here, I can eat a lot of it with cheese and sausage. The red Norton wine was fine, its there for many years now. The selection of wines is very limited, only red and white wine. The dedicated waiter, his name was Olivier, managed to find out what the name of the mustard was. The last time a waiter told me it was the same mustard as it was offered in the small pots, it was French. This waiter works in the lounge already for many year. It appeared this new dedicated waiter went a step further and it appeared this mustard was not French but Belgian! Its from Gent!
I liked the warm veggie snacks, and I guess the other guests like the hot seafood snacks. I do not like seafood so I cannot tell. I do know my friend liked it the last time she was here during our stay.
So I had a great break in the Clublounge this evening.

In the evening I noticed I did not get a turndown service, I assumed it was already in my profile. And no delicious chocolates…. I also missed my welcomecard and welcome amenity, I was getting used to. I noticed it is always more personal when arriving to find a personal welcome card.
I decided to ask the reception. They looked in my profile but could not find my preference for a turndown service. They really made it up for me and I received my favorite wine, the Marques Riscal. So no delicious Belgian chocolates during my stay, but the excellent Spanish wine of the world, Marques the Riscal.
In the morning I did not get my newspaper. Even at 12’oclock no newspaper in the Clublounge. I went to the concierge to find…… no newspaper here. It appeared the newspaper was not delivered. The friendly concierge referred to a shop nearby. I regret it and I was not pleasantly amused to go to a shop outside to buy my newspaper.

Breakfast in the main restaurant has very comfortable opening hours. Until 2:30pm I believe. I was here at 11 o’clock. At this this time the breadselection was rather limited, but I did find some tasteful medium to large croissants, which I liked very much. I was pleased to find some low fat products, like the Becel margarine and low fat yoghurt. The cold cut meat selection was limited, I was happy they offered me the delicious Belgian ham, since it was gone at 11 o’clock, ofcourse when it tastes so delicious!
Fruit selection was superb and the taste was so great I had a second plate. The waffle is still the same tasteless waffle I have ever had. I asked the waitress how it was possible, since in Brussel one can have very tasteful waffles. She asked the Chinese woman who makes them. She told me its because the Sheraton is a American hotel and the waffles are American style…….! The Chinese woman seemed rather indifferent in her attitude.
Since it was weekend I wanted to have some pastries. During the week I do not allow myself. On the menu of the breakfast I noticed the breakfast should offer a selection of pastries. I have noticed before the breakfast did not offer this.
So I asked the waitress. She could not find it, advised to take a yoghurt or a chocolate croissant. She told me she would ask the Chinese lady if she knew.
After a while of waiting I decided to go away, I passed the waitress and she asked me to wait. She went again to the Chinese lady, and told me I had to wait since they would find out in the kitchen. To make a long story shorter: the waitress told me the man/lady who makes the pastries was not working in the weekend, so only during the week pastries were offered…….. I could not believe or understand this, never happened to me before in a Starwood hotel. Nobody else who could make pastries in the kitchen? Or perhaps order this from a extern bakery in Brussels so guests could enjoy a pastry in the weekend?

Well in general I did enjoy my breakfast very much, it offers a wide range of quality products and even low fat product which make me happy and healthy! I missed the pastries during breakfast. I am very negatively surprised of the lack of inspiration considering the quality of the waffles considering this is Brussels.

Some remarks to improve the already fine quality of my stay in the Sheraton Brussel:

- I noticed a small hole in the couch. The couch could need some cushions for a more comfortable seating. And to be honest, it needed to be replaced since it was getting old.
- Its great to have a flatsquare tv in the bedroom, but strange to put it in the tv cabinet. A flatsquare tv can be placed everywhere of even placed on the wall. In this bedroom it would make the bedroom much more spacious when the tv cabinet was put away. It would be much more spacious, also because the mirror on the wall would be visible again.
- I missed the colored bedcover of the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper. The bed is all in white now, and with the white lamps it feels a bit like a hospital room… I also missed the Sheraton cushion on the bed.
- The bathroom is outdated and needs to be renovated. I have noticed this already for many years though. I hope management knows though!
- I missed a choice in red wines during the evening, when the clublounge offers drinks and snacks. Its always nice if one can make a choice.
- I missed the pastries during breakfast and tastefull baked Belgian waffles.
- I missed the turndown service, my personal welcomecard and my newspaper.
- I missed the manual to make a delicious espresso in the Clublounge.

Resume: I had a great stay in the Sheraton Brussels, as always! And I would be happy to return. The quality of the suites is becoming higher, I like the flatsquare tv’s but do wonder why the tv cabinets are still in the rooms. Its great the suites offer dvd players now. The addition of the watercooker is very handy.
I was positively surprised the Sheraton Brussels offers Fairtrade products to their guests. Perhaps not every guest knows what Fairtrade products are, so it would be great if a brochure with information would be offered in the room. So a guest can become more conscious of the product the Sheraton Brussels is offering.
The service is very friendly and especially the waiter in the Clublounge appeared to become one of the shining stars of Starwood… The Sheraton Brussels is still “my home away from home and I am already looking forward to my next stay!

http://travel.webshots.com/album/580328867MqQXTt
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Stayed here last week. Got upgraded to a club room, no suite. Property is pretty central. Walk to some decent food places with 10 mins. The lounge is decent, had little foie gras pieces, so I was happy. Had one red and one white wine with some beer. There was some sort of egg roll or empenada or something as the hot dish. Staff was nice. Breakfast was continental, had some crepes, fruit, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, etc. Room not as modern as other Sheratons or even the aloft, but the location and lounge def a plus for this hotel.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
I'm sitting in the club lounge right now, and I just read the lounge paperwork that mentions that continental breakfast is 26.50 euros. Seriously? I thought one of the major points of club access was to get the free club breakfast.

Any word on if they're actually going to charge me for it when I come in the morning? Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
I'm sitting in the club lounge right now, and I just read the lounge paperwork that mentions that continental breakfast is 26.50 euros. Seriously? I thought one of the major points of club access was to get the free club breakfast.

Any word on if they're actually going to charge me for it when I come in the morning? Thanks!
Breakfast is free for plats and club floor users
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by geilux
Breakfast is free for plats and club floor users
Other than plats and club floor guests, who else could possibly read the sign advertising a paid continental breakfast, considering that it is in the lounge haha. Oh well. Glad it's free :-). Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Oh well. Glad it's free :-). Thanks!
Breakfast is also free in the first floor restaurant although this is not always communicated by the staff
I have been staying at the Sheraton BRU al least 10 times this year and ALWAYS had FREE breakfast in the main restaurant.

Enjoy
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Hmm, interesting. I will try out the breakfast in the main restaurant next month. How does it compare to the offerings in the club lounge? Hehe...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Are the rooms renovated?

Have the rooms been renovated yet? What about the TV, still old boxes?

In addition to the breakfast selections in the lounge and possible brekfast in the restaurant for Plat, how are the lounge offerings in the evening? Belgian beer selection?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.