FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   CLOSED 14Dec16 [BANKRUPT/IN RECEIVERSHIP] Sheraton Brussels, Belgium [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/871581-closed-14dec16-bankrupt-receivership-sheraton-brussels-belgium-master-thread.html)

BlindPilot Mar 4, 2008 11:00 am

CLOSED 14Dec16 [BANKRUPT/IN RECEIVERSHIP] Sheraton Brussels, Belgium [Master Thread]

I will be staying at the Sheraton in Downtown for one night to soak in some touristy stuff (my first time in Belgium). I have a 9:45AM flight to the U.S. the next day, what time should I be heading out the door of the Sheraton to catch the train to BRU to catch my flight?

tom tulpe Mar 4, 2008 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by BlindPilot (Post 9355793)
I will be staying at the Sheraton in Downtown for one night to soak in some touristy stuff (my first time in Belgium). I have a 9:45AM flight to the U.S. the next day, what time should I be heading out the door of the Sheraton to catch the train to BRU to catch my flight?

Trains leave from Nord/Noord station to the Airport at 07:45, 07:57, 08:08, 8:21, 08:45 and 08:56. The train takes between 11 and 18 mins to the Airport. Nord/Noord station is located roughly 1000ft from the Sheraton Brussels H&T along Rue du Progrès/Vooruitgangstraat. Turn left as you exit the hotel and walk straight on :)

Err... sorry... what was the question? Oh yes, I'd leave at 07:30 to catch the 07:45 or the 07:57 train. Gets you to the Airport nice and early.

Tom

Oxon Flyer Mar 4, 2008 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by tom tulpe (Post 9356375)
Nord/Noord station is located roughly 1000ft from the Sheraton Brussels H&T along Rue du Progrès/Vooruitgangstraat.

I walked this route this evening, and it is a little more than 1,000 feet from the lobby to the platforms. 10 minutes stroll.

tom tulpe Mar 5, 2008 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer (Post 9357714)
I walked this route this evening, and it is a little more than 1,000 feet from the lobby to the platforms. 10 minutes stroll.

Yep, that's from the main exit of the station building, towards the left hand side of the tracks arriving fom Midi/Zuid station. You'll exit near the intersection with Bolivarlaan, and have to walk round the station. Instead, follow the signs straight to the "bus station" i.e. towards the southern end of the station - this is also the bit where you arrive when walking to the station from the Sheraton.
Google Maps
OK, .4 km. So 1,200 ft :)
Tom

BlindPilot Mar 5, 2008 3:55 pm

Would you guys happen to know the cab fare from Sheraton Downtown to BRU (6 or 6:30 in the morning)? And how long is the cab ride?

Oxon Flyer Mar 6, 2008 5:35 am

Originally Posted by BlindPilot (Post 9363377)
Would you guys happen to know the cab fare from Sheraton Downtown to BRU (6 or 6:30 in the morning)? And how long is the cab ride?

At that time of the morning, the taxi ride from the Sheraton to BRU takes no longer than 20 minutes, and should cost around Eur25-30. There is a taxi rank outside the hotel and a doorman to help you hail one.

The train service to the airport takes about 15 minutes from Nord (Sheraton), 20 minutes from Central (le Meridien) and 25 minutes from Midi. Trains run every 15 minutes and fare is Eur2.90 one-way from any "Zone Brussels" station. A return is Eur5.80 and has a flexible return date : the ticket has a blank space where you write in your return date when you want to use it. I use this airport train service very often and have found it consistently reliable and uncrowded, even in rush-hour.

BlindPilot Mar 25, 2008 7:00 am

Originally Posted by tom tulpe (Post 9356375)
Trains leave from Nord/Noord station to the Airport at 07:45, 07:57, 08:08, 8:21, 08:45 and 08:56. The train takes between 11 and 18 mins to the Airport. Nord/Noord station is located roughly 1000ft from the Sheraton Brussels H&T along Rue du Progrès/Vooruitgangstraat. Turn left as you exit the hotel and walk straight on :)

Err... sorry... what was the question? Oh yes, I'd leave at 07:30 to catch the 07:45 or the 07:57 train. Gets you to the Airport nice and early.

Tom

Since my flight departs at 9:45 in the morning, and the earliest train will get me to the airport past 8AM and with some walking time, I'd probably be at the Continental counter around 8:30, would that be enough time to check-in, get through security and get to the gate?

How efficient/busy is BRU for international departure?

claes059 May 12, 2008 6:56 am

Pleasant stays in the Sheraton Brussels!

For pictures stays: see: http://travel.webshots.com/album/563...YZtepD?start=0

Recently I had two stays in the Sheraton Brussels. For 5 – 10 years I have been a loyal guest of the hotel.
And as I can remember, I have good memories of my stays.

The suite:
During my first stay this year, we were upgraded to a suite on the high floors. We were happy with the upgrade, and enjoyed it.
As a welcome gift we received a nice bottle of wine which tasted very good in the evening!
We liked the living room with the chairs and couch. But we missed cushions on the couch, to sit more comfortable. We asked housekeeping, but
They delivered more cushions for on the bed!
The sink, ( see pic) was ready for a new one, since it was stained heavily.
The coffeemaker and coffee were fine. We liked the Philips flat square tv of the suite.
The suite has two toilets. One of them near the entrance with a very nice interion ( see pic).

Compared to the living area, the sleeping room was rather smallish. The Sheraton Sweet Sleeper was however great.

The bathroom was ok, but rather outdated, for instance the colors and the interior. It seems the hotel does not make any efforts to improve the interiors of the bathrooms. Since many years the bathrooms and bath amenities do not contribute to a luxurious bath experience. For instance if you could compare it to the Westin Brand.

The SPG Clubroom.
The second time ( May) we stayed in a Clubroom on the 22th floor. The clubrooms are still spacious and comfortable, and the rooms on the front have a spectacular view of the city.
The welcome gift was a box of Belgian Chocolate.
The African coffee of the Coffeemaker tasted very good. And we liked the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper. Though the room is spacious, there is not much room for comfortable chairs left, they are placed rather close to each other in a corner.
In the evening the turn-down service was perfect.
In the SPG clubroom we did not have a flatsquare tv. No radio music was available, which we did regret.
The airco was not cold enough during the night, perhaps due to the exceptional warm weather. However we could open the small window, which appeared to be sufficient.
Again, the bathroom does not contribute to a luxurious bath experience. For many, many years the hotel has the same old Sheraton bath amenities. Not many extras for a luxurious feeling. No small plant of flower is placed in the bathroom. No warm colours, only the grey and white.
We noticed the bathrobes did not have the S logo.

Personnel was friendly. We felt at home in the lounge. It was very nice mrs. Nathaly(?) could speak Dutch!
The lounge was comfortable. During the day you can take cold soft drinks, wine and coffee or tea.
However, instead of the Nescafe coffee a Nespresso would be more tasteful! For instance, in the lounge of the Westin Rotterdam is a
Selfservice Nespresso machine. Guest can make delicious espresso’s and capuchino”s here.
During the past years I noticed many changes in the interior of the lounge. There used to be a couch and relaxing chairs. It more relaxing in the evening and during the day.

We had breakfast in both the lounge and restaurant.
The breakfast in the lounge is much more relaxed and comfortable. The range of products is good, and the quality is fine.
The restaurant: in the weekends, breakfast can become a brunch! Until late in the afternoon one can have breakfast! We liked it!
The buffet has a much wider range of products than the buffet in the lounge. The products were fine. You can have your coffee as you like, since you can find “selfservice”coffee machines.
When we had breakfast here, we noticed on the flyer the buffet included also fresh pastries. However we could not find it. When I asked for it, within 15 minutes we could go for it! However the pastries were not fresh at all, so we did not like it very much.
All in all, we had good breakfast experiences.

The fitness and large swimming pool on the top floor are as always very attractive! I enjoyed my workout in the gym and my swim very much. It is great the Sheraton can offer this to its guests.
Furthermore, many sun beds are placed outside on the terrace so when the sun is shining it is a good rest after the workout or swim.
You can find a small bar for some drinks in the swimming pool area.

When we visited the Le Meridien in Brussel, we noticed how small the rooms are in this hotel. The beds in the standard rooms are not comfortable at all. The deluxe rooms are larger and the beds very huges. We did not like the interior and we felt lucky to stay in “our Sheraton”!
Furthermore, the fitness was so small you could hardly turn around and no club lounge is available for the guests.

Before checking out, we ordered two "asparagus" soup. We had to wait half an hour or more. When it finally arrived we were charged two times for the roomservice: 2x €3. Toghether with the tip I gave, the two soups will cost me €20,--. I changed the bill, for only 1 x €3,--.
On my bill however they did charge me double again for the roomservice.
Furhtermore, the asparagus soup was like a minute-make soup: no piece of asparagus or meat to be found! While this is asparagus time! So €20 for a this kind "asparagus" soup is overcharging the guest, in my opinion.

I have seen and stayed in several Le Meridien properties over the world ( Barcelona, Cologne, Kuala Lumpur, Bali, and now Brussels) and until now this brand seems not attractive for me. It seems I do not like the style and service they are offering compared to the Sheraton, Westin, St. Regis and luxury collection brands.

Well, we did like our stays in the Sheraton Brussels , and I am sure we will come back here again. It is still one of my favourite Starwood hotels in the world!

For pics of my stays: http://travel.webshots.com/album/563...YZtepD?start=0

aussieinsf May 12, 2008 8:55 pm

We've also recently had a good stay at the Sheraton Brussels - the view of the innovative lighting on the building opposite and the very good service was a highlight.

ACfly May 13, 2008 2:29 pm

Thanks for the report.. It appears that they just recently upgraded the living and bedroom.. I was there about 2 months ago, and the Suite was with the dated furniture.

I agree with you on the bathroom - really 1970's style.

The hotel is very good for Platinum upgrade to a suite. I have always been upgraded to the suite on the top floor and given access to the Lounge.

ACfly May 13, 2008 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by aussieinsf (Post 9715561)
We've also recently had a good stay at the Sheraton Brussels - the view of the innovative lighting on the building opposite and the very good service was a highlight.

Yes agreed! the light show from the building across the street is impressive. The whole entire office building is lit up in multiple colors and patterns... Very impressed!. The light show starts around 10pm. (maybe later given the summer).

claes059 May 14, 2008 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by aussieinsf (Post 9715561)

I agree, the lighting on the building is very innovative.
Did you stay on the clubfloors, considering the good service?

coachrowsey May 14, 2008 2:48 pm

Thanks for pics & report. Looks like a great place

BlindPilot May 14, 2008 4:57 pm

Nice report.

I stayed there for one night recently. The concierge person I dealt with was very nice (Natalie) was super nice. Got upgraded to a similar suite as the OP (photo).

Lounge was stocked with complimentary Stella Artois. ^

claes059 May 18, 2008 7:04 am

Originally Posted by coachrowsey (Post 9725303)
Thanks for pics & report. Looks like a great place

Thanks, you"re welcome! Yes its a great place, perhaps you can try yourself!