Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

OMG, how disgusting! (blood on pillowcase at Sheraton ABQ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Wow, I just returned yesterday from ABQ. I spent the night (visiting my daughter) at what used to be my favorite location. The Sheraton. The place is currently under renovations. I am booked for a Thursday, Friday, Saturday stay this week too.

Anyway, Saturday night I am in my pj's, faced washed, and ready for bed. I go to arrange the pillows. Bloodstain on the pillowcase (not faded, just unwashed). Yuck! I throw that pillow on the chair and grab the remaining 3. Several blood stains/smears on another pillow! The other two were "clean." OMG!!!! Do we NOT change the pillowcases??? I really did not want to call downstairs at that time because I did not want to get dressed so that strangers could come into my room. I did tell the clerk the next morning as I was checking out. She did not charge me for the night, which I appreciated but then stopped her and told her that I was saving my points and that there were bonus points for September stays. She said she would give me 5000 points for my trouble. I thanked her.

My problem............I am so totally grossed out/disgusted by the whole pillowcase thing. Now all I can think about is: If the towels/sheets/pillowcases appear to be unused when one guest checks out, do they not remove/replace them? How do I ensure clean linens and towels?

Is this a normal practice that I was unaware of? I hate staying at the Hyatt (downtown location/parking garage) because it is less convenient for me. What would you do?
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:09 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Linda1962
... What would you do?
Call Corporate Customer Service at 800-328-6242 and file a formal complaint.

My apologies for having to do so.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
This story sounds so familiar.

Linda1962, you certainly are lucky to receive so many points when you complain. IIRC, this has happened to you a few times.

Please do file a complaint so that this doesn't happen to another guest.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I did call and make a complaint.

Actually, my other complaint was with the Phoenician in July. (Non-authorized cars in all the handicapped spots, no co-operation with food restrictions).

I DO NOT ask for points/compensation. I try to handle issues in a very professional manner. I am very polite. I treat others the way I want people to treat me!

BTW..........I also call/write to give kudos when someone goes above and beyond! (Again, how I would want to be treated).
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Thanks for the info. I did call and make a complaint.

Actually, my other complaint was with the Phoenician in July. (Non-authorized cars in all the handicapped spots, no co-operation with food restrictions).

I DO NOT ask for points/compensation. I try to handle issues in a very professional manner. I am very polite. I treat others the way I want people to treat me!

BTW..........I also call/write to give kudos when someone goes above and beyond! (Again, how I would want to be treated).
That what I like to hear!^ Looking forward to reading future reviews from you.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:06 pm
tyn

I really did not want to call downstairs at that time because I did not want to get dressed so that strangers could come into my room.

Please, do the next time! (not that I'm wishing you to have problems again)

Seasoned travellers come to see and treat hotel staff the way they would medical staff when hospitalized. We are there to sort out things that bother you and make you feel better, whether you're dressed up to the nines or in a bathrobe
Old Sep 15, 2008, 7:22 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
How do I ensure clean linens and towels?
Brand standards require that all Starwood brands (with, I believe, the exception of some 4 Points locations) "iron" their sheets and pillowcases with commercial presses.

Even an untrained eye can spot a pressed pillowcase that's been slept on. One possibility that strikes me as likely here is that the housekeeper might've nicked her/his hand on something while cleaning and had a small cut. Thus, you had all new linens, but some residual "fresh" blood stains on two of your four pillows. I'd bet $10 that's your story.

Anyone who's worked in restaurants, hotels, or retail will be quick to tell you that if you don't get nicks, cuts and bruises everyday, you're not working hard enough.

I'm certainly not making excuses for the hotel in this instance. Blood on a pillowcase is not fun and any of us would be grossed out. Had I been in your shoes, I'd probably have called down and asked that two new pillows in fresh pillow cases be brought up to the room. You could've appeared at the door in a robe to collect them and then sorted it all out in the morning.

For my part, I checked in to a hotel late this evening and when I got out of the shower tonight, I had long strands of very black hair curling up on my sink basin and on the bathroom floor in two corners (I don't have long nor black hair) and when I went for the lotion, I noticed it was half used already. YUCK.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:45 pm

Programs: Marriott-Lifetime Titanium
The same thing happened to me at the Bellevue Wa Sheraton in July. It was 10pm, and I did call down to the front desk. The desk clerk was disgusted and sent someone up right away, to change the sheets. I was kind of creeped out by the whole thing
I woke up the next morning to find the bill under my door. I am a typical Canadian that does not complain too much, but I went downstairs and voiced my concern to the desk clerk. She said "are you sure it was blood?" and she really questioned me. Bottom line she compt the room, but not without a hassle. I didn't appreciate that. My 2 cents....MF
Old Sep 16, 2008, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Had this happen at the Four Seasons Miami. They came up and changed the sheets immediately, but didn't offer anything else. We didn't ask for anything, perhaps we should have.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Happened to me at the Westin PV...

...Mexico, on the comforter and sheets....discover after sleeping on it...eeesh....they were quite good about it...came up changed everything and credited me back 1/2 my points. Overall i was pleased by their response...it was quick, they apologized and the compensation was fair.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I'm seeing a disturbing trend here. Is it really that common to find blood on various parts of a hotel room? Sheesh and yes, yuk!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.