Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Atlanta Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2002, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Arrow Westin Atlanta Airport [Master Thread]

Tried a search but came up with Sheraton Gateway or downtown Westin properties instead.

As a SPG Gold on a Preferred Client rate, how is the property and what should I expect in terms of experience from others' previous stays?

Thanks and let's go Maryland in the Final 4!

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Mar 29, 2002, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
The hotel is pretty nice. If you have Platinum status definitely ask for the presidential suite. It's two stories with a jacuzzi tub by the window with a tv. There's a huge walk in shower. Baby grand. The room is HUGE! There's a restaraunt on top that goes around. The hotel was under remdodel as of last August. As a platinum, breakfast shoudl be free.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Westin Atlanta Airport - a report.

I have not noted many reports on this Hotel. I was concerned what I would be getting based upon rate $79 and reviews I read on travelocity.com . As a P my reservation was taken over by Hotel so I assumed they upgraded me. Check-in was efficient but the guy must have been new so I did not push the upgrade. I knew I was on Club and in fact the Club was open (Saturday
evening). When I got to my room on 10 (key access to floor) I had trouble with the lights. I peered into a small wedge shape room which was nice in itself but a little small. After a couple of minutes I noticed a connector door which was only slightly open. Of course I assumed what lay beyond must also be mine. Mine it was. In fact the connector door on my wide must have been taken off the hinges because there was no door. So if you get this room you must get it all. The room was HUGE. It had a half bathroom, full on sofa with side chairs and good size TV. There was a kitchen, bar and dining table. It was nice. This all worked out fine since a client and buddy picked me up for dinner. We did not need to worry about where he was going to crash. I left early this morning so I have no idea about the Lounge spread. I also had to ask for my amenity of points as a P. No card given. I would recommend the Hotel but wonder if some rooms are older or have not been renovated. Shuttle to airport rooms every 15 minutes on schedule and is about 5 minutes away. Free of course. Runs 24 hours a day. After leaving go to Ground Transporation section F rows 1 to 9. The shuttle will be there mixed among every other shuttle known to man. FYI
Old Mar 31, 2003, 6:10 am

Programs: HHonors, SPG, UAL - 1P
RTW -

I was at this property Friday night on the $79 rate. I too wondered what I might be getting. Unfortunately, I got no upgrade, nor a club level room. My room was a standard room with 2 double beds, as I made my reservation for. There were 4 adults in the room and it was cramped. The bathroom was one of the smallest I have seen in a hotel.

Check in took 30 minutes. I arrived at 1:30 in the morning. There were 3 guests ahead of me and numerous airline employees checking in. There was only 1 hotel employee. Based on the number of guests checking in, she did a credible job of moving the line. I told her so and she provided me with a hotel thank you gift. She also assumed that I wanted the 500 bonus points as my amentity.

I did received access to the club level lounge. When I accessed it at 9:00am it was pretty much devastated. There were a few pieces of bread for some toast, a couple of yogurts, coffee, soda, and cold cereal. There were two half pints of milk that were frozen. Not exactly a gourmet breakfast. It did carry me over until my group was ready to go to the restaurant hotel. I got the impression there were a lot of guests on the floor that may have abused the club lounge, so I don't believe this is indicative of what could normally be expected.

Parking was $6.00 per day. Heavenly beds, but no heavenly shower. Given the many number of other Starwood properties, I would probably try a different property next time. If there were no other properties available I would be ok staying at this property again.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 7:13 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
One day and what a difference. No heavenly shower either.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:06 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Based on my experience, they treat SPGs very well - I even got upgraded to a club room during my corporate preferred times...
Also, I prefer the Westin over the Sheraton - even if you are not accomodated on the club level.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:36 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
perhaps at 130am they gave away all upgrades at that point?
Old Mar 31, 2003, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
I stay in Atlanta about 15 to 20 times a year and have tried all the *wood properties except the W. I think the Westin Atl Airport is the best of the bunch. I get upgraded to a two room suite 90% of the time and the club room is usually very good. It's a good overall value.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 10:27 am

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.

For many years I have been S/W Plt. and have always enjoyed the service, but the Westin at the Atlanta Airport is by far the worst Westin I have ever stayed in. I can't see how Westin lets their brand name be associated with the hotel.

I arrived June 26 on an 11 P..m flight and was to stay one night. At check-in I was informed that all that were left were smoking rooms and there were no upgrades.
Since I don't smoke (and my profile reflects this) I was suprised. I was told that I was a walk-in and that was all they had. I showed the young lady my reservation and got no response. Since I had no other choice I took the room. In the elevator there was a United crew. Guess what, two of them got off of on the Concierge floor. Does United pay more for two flight att. to stay on the Concerge floor? I continued to my smoking room. (by the way the halls were dirty, carpets torn etc. and the halls were littered with food. Always something I look for in a hotel.) The smoking room was so bad I called to talk with the night manager. Finally I was given the key to a non-smoking room.

When I entered my new room it was quite clear there was some one already in the room -- bags open and a voice coming from the bathroom.

Back to the front desk, wait in line behind other frustrated guest and it is off to my third room of the night.

Room 3 was non smoking and all seemed well. After a long day I jumped into the shower and was drying my hair when another guest walked into the room. Other than the towel drying my hair I was naked. This person left and I called the front desk. This really was too much.

Then at about 1:30 a.m. there was a fight in the hall outside my room. Some poor girl was getting the stuffing beat out of her by several young men. I called security and grabbed my clothes to run out and attempt to help her. By the time I got to the hall they had all fled.

The next morning, to make matters even worse, I had to place two phone calls to the general manager to get him to even return my call about the problems. His comment, "I guess we failed to live up to your expectations." Wow, talk about missing it by a country mile.

Run, don't walk away from any reservations at this hotel.

------------------
UA-GS/1K, (M-M)-AA/DL,
Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plt.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
What a horrible experience! I've stayed at this hotel no less than a dozen times over the past year and have had nothing but good experiences. I hope your experience was a fluke and not a trend.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
Sadly, this stay has set my mind. I had been a loyal customer of the Hilton @ ATL, but because of my status with *wood, I thought I'd give Westin a try. Stupid me!!

I will register formal complaint on Monday.
My situation was below all acceptable standards.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 3:40 pm
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
I had a somewhat similar experience at this hotel 18 months ago. My wife and I arrived at 9 pm for a one night stay -- we were headed to Jo'burg and didn't want to miss our connection. I had guaranteed a king/non-smoking on the concierge floor, but when I arrived I was offered a choice of a king/smoking or two doubles/non-smoking. I complained and nothing happened so I finally told the receptionist to give me the two doubles. While the receptionist was entering data, I said to my wife that as soon as I got home I was going to complain to Starwood customer service. As soon as I said that, the clerk said she had found a room with a king bed. It turned out to be a junior suite. I am quite certain if I had not invoked Starwood Customer Service, the room would not have been located.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 3:49 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Hummm, only good experiences at this hotel. Upgraded to floor 9 or 10 each and every time as SPG Gold.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL Gold 2MM, UA Gold, SPG LT Plat, MR Plat, Hyatt Glob, HH Gold
Though I have stayed at this hotel a number of times in the past without incident, this reminded me of a similar situation about a year ago. Got in late, had a reservation for a non-smoking room, but no non-smoking rooms were available. First trip to room, opened the door, someone was in there. Scared me as much as it scared him. (People...use the deadbolts and secuity latches!) Back to the front desk. On to the second room. No one there, but room was never made up. Back to the front desk. After venting my frustration, a non-smoking suite suddenly was available. Nice suite, but it was infested with lady bugs. Too tired to try for number 4, I cut my losses and slept with the lady bugs. They are kinda cute little critters...thank God they didn't bite. Was going to complain in the morning, but the line at the front desk was a mile long. Haven't stayed there since.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 7:27 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Why aren't people automatically using the deadbolt every time they enter their room? This amazes me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.