Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Oaks Houston [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2000, 5:51 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Arrow Westin Oaks Houston [Master Thread]

I rarely complain but I walked away from this property very disappointed with the service.

I stayed at this property two nights, October 6-8th. I was expecting the fine service that I normally get from Westins.

The BIG problem I ran into: EXTREMELY SLOW or NO RESPONSE from Service Express Some examples:

*Had a rollaway bed for first night for a friend, did NOT need for second night. CALLED FIVE TIMES TO HAVE IT REMOVED. Was told "someone will be right there." NO response, so I gave up. My concern was that I was going to be charged for the bed. Luckily I was not.

*Asked for a corkscrew. THREE TIMES. Again, promises from Service Express and NO Delivery. I had to go to the sports bar downstairs and get the bottle of wine open.

*Could not believe the hotel did not have a regular consierge -- had to go to the Galleria to find one.

*Also: NO Computer/Internet access at either Oaks or Galleria hotel???

*Asked for turndown service, expecting towels to be changes, room tidied up. Comforter turned down and that was THAT.

*Incomplete breakfast order. The eggs came but cold. No bacon, at least room service was quick with this.

*Lack of recogniation for my Platnium status. On check-in got "oh yeah, we have your number in."

*(Maybe not a legitimate complaint I needed a check cashed. I was down to 2 dollars because of the 50 dollar plus cab ride. SHowed them every kind of I-D BUT DRIVER'S LICENSE. (I did not bring mine.) They refused to cash the check inspite of: Passport, five credit cards, Platnium Preferred card, NYPD I-D (I did not realize after all this I-D I was rejected.) Had to cross a busy highway and hunt for an A-T-M at the Marriott up the highway at midnight.

Again, I never had to cash a check so I was unaware of the rules.

No, I'm not whining but this reminds me of the Sheraton cancun stay: that you are just antoher guest. It's very disappointing.

SO basically a ONE PAW Review of this property.

(I am sending a copy of this to Starwood Preferred Guest.)

Old Oct 8, 2000, 8:36 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Catman,
Sorry about your experience at the Westin - both the Westin Oaks and Westin Galleria are definitely in need of updating - I stayed there 3 years ago when looking for an apartment in Houston and thought the Westin Galleria was terribly out-of-date. Though not a Starwood property, the JW Marriott is the property of choice in the Galleria area.

The Chick-Fil-A within air-conditioned walking distance is definitely a plus, though!

I do, however, want more details on your trip - what you did, where you ate, etc. so I can decide what to do when I have guests in town! Thanks!

[This message has been edited by IAH_FLYER (edited 10-08-2000).]
Old Oct 9, 2000, 11:47 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

"Maybe not a legitimate complaint" -

IMHO very legitimate. I ask for cash at most Starwood properties and have only been turned down 1 time (Westin Michigan Ave). I don't even cash a check, I just ask for $100-$300 and have them put it on my bill. Your credit card and Starwood Platinum card should have been enough. If it ever happens again, go straight to the hotel GM.

[This message has been edited by auh2o (edited 10-09-2000).]
Old Oct 9, 2000, 3:22 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

In less than 24 hours, Starwood sent an e-mail response, thanking me for my comments and apologizing for my poor stay. They said they will talk to the hotel staff.

I appreciate that. I'll see what else happens.
Old Oct 10, 2000, 5:38 pm
Original Member

Some thoughts - I had a project last year in Houston and stayed endless weeks at the Houston Oaks & Galleria, and Hilton Medical Center. Also tried the doubletree, st. regis, marriott galleria, etc.

First - the Oaks is slightly better than the Galleria.

Second - they knew who I was and everytime welcomed me by name and remarked " you'll really like this room!" well, everytime the room was the same. pretty darn dull rooms. Anyway - one week the bathroom ceiling collapsed (while I was in the other room). I called down and told them what happened - they seemed incredulous since they sent up an engineer to take a look - "no, really! the ceiling has collapsed, get me another room!" So the engineer shows up and we look at the ceiling - and he remarks "Yep, collapsed ceiling." So they moved me to another room. The next week the check in staff are especially warm and this time they again say "you'll REALLY like the room" - well, it was the counselor suite on the top floor. Out of control, but didn't look like it had been rennovated forever.

My pick for Houston is the Hilton in the Medical Center area. Mostly suites, very nice desk staff, etc. A little remote for the galleria, but think of all the restaurants you drive by on montrose to stop at.

Old Oct 11, 2000, 11:44 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

UPDATE: David from Customer Service at Starwood calls me AT HOME, takes the time to listen to my issues with the Westin Oaks and then says within 5-7 business days the Oaks should give me a response. He also apologized for all my inconvenience.

I also suggested he check out my review on this forum.

It's nice Starwood cares. I'll let you all know what happens.
Old Oct 13, 2000, 1:20 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Catman,

Very impressed again. Starwood seems to go out of the way to respond positively. I makes me stay there whenever possible (logistically and financially).

Let us know how they "impress"you next. I love hearing these great endings.
Old Oct 22, 2000, 4:59 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Tom from the Westin Oaks calls me Thursday. I believe he's the manager of the hotel and we will speak Monday.

He actually read my post HERE! and was sad to hear of my disappointing stay. I also explained to his assistant about what happened. And he responded well beyond my expectations.

What I got is irreelevent. The phone call on my answering machine, the time to speak to ME! that's the award!

Once again, Starwood works as a team to resolve problems beyond the call of duty.

Old Oct 23, 2000, 12:16 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

One More UPDATE:

I had a wonderful talk with Tom Schmidt, the Area managing Director of Starwood Hotels. Very nicely explained what happened and he admitted the hotel failed. He apologized and said he would work to take care of things.

He cared. The satisifaction that TOM called and listened! And Starwood took time to listen to me. He told me that the Westins can only get better if people express any problems.

Thanks Tom and I hope the folks at Starwood know that I give you FOUR PAWS UP! FOR CARING!

I will probably go back to the Westins because I know something will be done.

Thanks to everyone who read this thread and acted.

FYI: The Westin Galleria and Oaks are facing renovations starting early January, 2001. I suggested business centers in BOTh hotels and consierges in BOTH hotels!
Old Oct 23, 2000, 5:08 pm
Original Member

Catman, tell me you're kidding about the 2001 renovations! I've got a conference scheduled in the Galleria/Oaks for February with more than 450 rooms each night for four nights. Conducting a conference in the midst of hotel renovations can make you go stark raving mad. AAARRRRGGGHHH!
Old Oct 23, 2000, 11:55 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Bluebonnet, I do not kid about anything on this board except my cats.

I would call the hotel but that's what the district manager for Starwood told me. I also would call Starwood Preferred Guest and see how that affects your conferences.
Old Oct 28, 2000, 1:47 pm

Catman-
Glad to hear you got a great response from Starwood - they have certainly been known for great customer service (esp in the Westin days). I'm especially happy to hear it since I recently had a simply terrible stay at the Westin Shalishan (similar to some of your problems) and an even worse response/attitude from the Shalishan GM and Starwood. I was simply amazed at their response and "the customer is always wrong" attitude. I was beginning to wonder if something had changed there.

Anyway, I'm a very loyal Westin fan and have been for years, and am happy to hear that you received a great response from Starwood. Sounds like my response from Starwood and the Shalishan was an isolated incident.

On another note, I had a simply wonderful stay this past week at the Denver Westin Tabor Center. Felt like the old Westin days -- upgrade, amenity gift, friendly and helpful staff. Now if they would only give me a pet goldfish in my room like the Hotel Monaco does
Old Jul 3, 2001, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Avoid the Westin Oaks - Houston

I stayed at the Westin Oaks in Houston a couple weekends ago and found this to be the worst Westin I've ever stayed at. And I don't feel I've been hard on the hotel either.

I'm not writing to complain that I stayed for 3 nights and was checked out on night 1 and night 2 (therfore had to check in every night), nor am I complaining that I didn't get maid service until 5 pm each night (had to call and request this).

What I'm writing today about is to notify people that this hotel is falling apart (literally). The first room I was given (on a SPG floor) smelled like mildew. The second room while not smelling much better had a broken telephone outlet. To use email, I had to balance the cord in its proper "sweet spot" to even maintain a connection. Oh, did I also mention the stains in the couch or the frayed chair? Don't get me started about the lack of power outlets. Also, I had to choose between seeing my email or plugging my laptop in. (1 outlet meant lamp or power ... not both).

And I saw a few different rooms and they were all the same. I was there for a wedding and had reserved two other rooms. They too had similar features, frayed chairs appeared to be the norm. I shudder to think what other non-SPG floors looked like. My Aunt had some interesting stories about her room.

On a positive note, the reception was handled nicely. I'd recommend the ball room, just put your guests up in the Marriott across the street!
Old Jul 3, 2001, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, WN A-List Pref, MR LT Plat, SPG LT Gold
Your experience sounds similar to my own. I always stay at the nearby Sheraton Suites Houston now. Much newer, nicer hotel and (of course) every room is a suite.

It would really be nice if the website stated:
a) the overall age of the hotel
b) the date of the last full-scale renovation

since these factors are so related to the quality of the facilities.
Old Jul 4, 2001, 11:03 am
In memoriam

frayed chair, stained carpets? Sounds like you were in the same room on the Starwood floor where my parents were during their 5 night stay in April. Was the thermostat working? It took over 48 hours and 4 phone calls to get a maintenance man up to fix it!!

As to their catering service, I agree they are top notch. I've been to numerous functions at both Houston Westins over the past 15 years and they are Class A. It's a darn shame that guests cannot expect the same level of accommodations and service from their hotel room.

[This message has been edited by Sheryl (edited 07-04-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.