Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Atlanta Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Atlanta Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum; Hilton HHonors Gold; United Premier Gold
I'll be staying at this hotel tomorrow night (Oct. 9), so I'm grateful for the heads-up about this...
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:05 pm

A less than auspicious check-in here tonite.

The SPG Gold/Platinum check-in person "oohed and ahhed" over my Lifetime Platinum card, which she'd never seen before, but had no upgrade for me. What a surprise. Not. I told her the truth: ever since Lifetime Platinum was instituted, my upgrades have essentially disappeared. She seemed surprised, but I can't imagine why. I'm apparently "Plat Lite", and it has been the kiss of death for my upgrades. And thus, there's a reason why I'm steering a bunch of my annual business to HHonors. At least once in a while they give me a genuine upgrade, even with mere Gold status.

I asked for all feather pillows to be sent to my room, and she forgot to order them. I had to go back down to the lobby 2 hours later and remind her that I'd requested them. She was suitably embarrassed, but c'mon, how hard is it to fulfill such a simple request upon check-in? She did offer 500 points to me, but that's not the point. Why not do it right the first time?

Color me unimpressed.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by signothetimes53
The SPG Gold/Platinum check-in person "oohed and ahhed" over my Lifetime Platinum card, which she'd never seen before, but had no upgrade for me.
I am suprised. I have always gotten a junior suite there. 100% of the time. What time did you check in?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
I am suprised. I have always gotten a junior suite there. 100% of the time. What time did you check in?
3:30PM.

FWIW, I went on line to see if Junior Suites were available for booking at the hotel website, and they weren't, so I guess I was just unlucky. But it's a remarkable streak of bad luck I've been having that dates almost to the time of the institution of the Lifetime Plat status.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
holy hell. $12 for parking?!?! i was NOT prepared for that this past feb 14.

We rolled up right at 9:30pm and every light in the parking lot went out, just as I was about to pull in to a (narrow) parking spot.

We made the mistake of using the "lobby entrance" which just made us use more stairs and heard an alarm. Lights were coming back on in the parking lot. Initially we thought it was a short power outage.

No one was being evacuated, fortunately. I came up to the SPG desk and was told I couldn't check in due to the issue. At first I was told it was a power surge. We went across the walkway to sit down on those big seats next to the bar.

Five minutes or so later I went back to the desk after the all clear notice. Apparently someone had been smoking in their room? I dunno. That's the excuse I was given.

I was "upgraded" before arrival to a Deluxe room. Not sure what was different, but it was nice and on the bottom SPG floor. 9th I think? Can't remember. Anyway, I asked if they could waive the parking due to the wait to check in and she got her manager's attention. Manager looked at res, noted Gold status, and said sure. I'll take a $12 discount for waiting five extra minutes, fo sho! Both agents were very nice. In fact, every staff member I encountered was polite.

I'll probably return in the future, but that $12 parking charge really sucks.

BTW, we stayed here due to fiance's Global Entry interview the following morning at off-site Customs. We arrived two hours early and they took her in. Incredibly polite group of guys working there. Very personable. Her interview lasted all of 8-9 minutes.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by signothetimes53
3:30PM.

FWIW, I went on line to see if Junior Suites were available for booking at the hotel website, and they weren't, so I guess I was just unlucky. But it's a remarkable streak of bad luck I've been having that dates almost to the time of the institution of the Lifetime Plat status.
I have not been there the last 3 or 4 months, but for an airport hotel, they do a pretty good job.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
They are remodeling the gym at this property. Should be done this month. Cardio equipment has been temporarily relocated to empty guest rooms.
Old May 17, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
Gym remodel is complete. The space is much larger, allowing more room for weights/stretching. The cardio space is about the same, but new equipment.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Just stayed at both the Sheraton and Westin. The Sheraton seems more wear then the Westin. Staff seemed more proficient at the Westin as well.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by zsmith2
Just stayed at both the Sheraton and Westin. The Sheraton seems more wear then the Westin. Staff seemed more proficient at the Westin as well.
Appreciate the comparison, as I am trying to decide between the two. Does anyone else have thoughts to offer?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Smile

I only stayed at Westin. Front desk lady was very nice. Good for a one night airport hotel. Parking is ~$17.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Appreciate the comparison, as I am trying to decide between the two. Does anyone else have thoughts to offer?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Either will be fine. I consider the Westin to be a bit nicer but no lounge. Both have a great FD staff and usually they are both priced right as well.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:13 pm

Stayed there for 3 nights over the Memorial Day weekend. Very disappointing experience.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:52 am
Suspended

I've found the Westin to be a teensy-weensy bit better than the Sheraton, but not by much. Rooms are more than adequate. Stayed at Westin the last two times.

On a previous trip, I sat at the bar and was completely underwhelmed by the service. The staff at the bar/restaurant area is horrible. They really need to get a new person there. Maybe the old bag is the best they can come up with. I don't think she likes her job.

On a recent trip (not wanting to sit at the bar again - the old bag was there) I sat at one of the tables. Sat there for about 25 minutes waiting to see if one of the servers would ever ask me if I wanted somthing. NOPE! Had to get up, go behind the bar where they conglomerate, and ask one to come over. Food was just OK, not good or great.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
I've found the Westin to be a teensy-weensy bit better than the Sheraton, but not by much. Rooms are more than adequate. Stayed at Westin the last two times.

On a previous trip, I sat at the bar and was completely underwhelmed by the service. The staff at the bar/restaurant area is horrible. They really need to get a new person there. Maybe the old bag is the best they can come up with. I don't think she likes her job.

On a recent trip (not wanting to sit at the bar again - the old bag was there) I sat at one of the tables. Sat there for about 25 minutes waiting to see if one of the servers would ever ask me if I wanted somthing. NOPE! Had to get up, go behind the bar where they conglomerate, and ask one to come over. Food was just OK, not good or great.

Wow, nice way to refer to another human being, you must be a real joy yourself...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.