Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Link to download Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) Gold Preferred Member Guide.

Link to Starwood Preferred Guest Gold elite status benefit page. In part (08/2014):

Gold status is reached after completing 10 eligible stays or 25 eligible nights in a calendar year. Eligible paid stays and nights and Award redemption stays and nights count toward elite status earning. As a Gold member, you’ll receive all the benefits of Preferred, plus much more:
  • Three Starpoints for every eligible U.S. dollar spent – a 50% bonus over base-level membership.
  • 4 p.m. late checkout,1 so you can sleep in, relax by the pool or see more of the local area you’re visiting.
  • An enhanced room at check-in, when available.2
  • Special elite customer service telephone line (available in most countries).
  • New! Your choice of a welcome gift with each stay. Choose from bonus Starpoints, complimentary in-room Internet access or a complimentary beverage.

and

Introducing SPG Lifetime Gold!

Be golden – for life. Never go below Gold membership level when you achieve 250 eligible nights total and any 5 years of elite SPG status.
SPG has a "soft landing" policy so members will not drop more than one status tier in one year.
Updated 11 Aug 2014
Print Wikipost

FAQ: SPG gold benefits - what are they?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2005, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, HHonors Gold
Exclamation FAQ: SPG gold benefits - what are they?

I just booked a night at the Sheraton Montreal and chose a Club Floor room, which includes breakfast and hors d'oeuvres. It was $12 more than the cheapest, non-refundable internet rate available on SPG.com. If I cancel and re-book at the cheaper rate, will I get upgraded to the Club Floor room and get the same "extras"? Or should I keep the current rate and expect (hope) to be upgraded to an even better room?
Old Dec 2, 2005, 6:15 pm

Gold members should never expect a Club upgrade.
Gold members should never expect free breakfast.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by neos
I just booked a night at the Sheraton Montreal and chose a Club Floor room, which includes breakfast and hors d'oeuvres. It was $12 more than the cheapest, non-refundable internet rate available on SPG.com. If I cancel and re-book at the cheaper rate, will I get upgraded to the Club Floor room and get the same "extras"? Or should I keep the current rate and expect (hope) to be upgraded to an even better room?
In my experience, when I was Starwood Gold I might get a slight upgrade (renovated vs. unrenovated room, for example), but I NEVER got upgraded to the Club Floor.

Of course, the individual hotel, as a courtesy, might give you a Club Floor upgrade, but I wouldn't count on it.

If the Club Floor benefits are important to you, I would suggest you keep your existing reservation. It can be worth the extra $12, and perhaps more importantly, you will NOT experience the risks associated with the nonrefundable rate you mention!
Old Dec 3, 2005, 7:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Two words. Not much...Ok, five words. Not much & some bonus points.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 6:22 am

My philosophy is "Expect nothing and you will not be disappointed; expect something and you might be." Then when something nice does happen, you are pleasantly surprised and appreciative.

But then, I don't travel as much as some of you.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 11:42 am

Programs: SPG Gold
SPG Plats have enough problems getting what is entitled to them; ie, never expect any kind of upgrade, you're simply setting yourself up for disappointment.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by neos
Be glad to have booked the club room.
As a gold, you should expect your reservation will be honored- anything more and you are in for a disappointment. My speculation is SPG has as many gold as regular members now- everyone is gold.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 12:53 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by sharkshooter
My philosophy is "Expect nothing and you will not be disappointed; expect something and you might be." Then when something nice does happen, you are pleasantly surprised and appreciative.

But then, I don't travel as much as some of you.
I think this is a wise approach and the approach I take when travelling.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 1:01 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
SPG Plats have enough problems getting what is entitled to them; ie, never expect any kind of upgrade, you're simply setting yourself up for disappointment.
Upgrades are not an absolute entitlement -- upgrades are offered to select rooms based upon one's status and other factors (luck has a lot to do with this, repeat guest, high volume/value guest, a VIP, etc) IF available. If one views upgrades as entitlement one may be disappointed more often than not.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 2:56 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
I have found SPG to be very stingy with any beneifits to Gold. Keep what you have
Old Dec 4, 2005, 3:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
As a gold member, which I was for a few years via the AMEX Platinum Card, I don't believe I was ever aware of receiving any specific room/upgrade benefit at a hotel. While, as others have said, I may have unknowingly received a renovated vs. un-renovated room, or perhaps a room on a higher floor, I know for a fact I did not receive a Club Floor room, Club Floor benefits, free breakfast, or anything of the sort.

I agree with those who say, "expect nothing." If the breakfast and lounge benefits are of interest to you, stay with the reservation you have, especially at that price difference.

In SPG, Platinum is definitely where it's at. The difference between it and Gold is enormous.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
Originally Posted by dankyone
Everyone above is correct, but you will probably be upgraded anyway.

Pay the $12, and be sure.
IMHO, as a Gold, you most likely will not be upgraded. When I want to be on the Club Floor, I pay the extra.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:03 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
We booked the smallest room they have on a discount rate over labor day weekend. They only have like 5 of these in the whole hotel and so I assumed we'd get at least a standard room as Gold. Not so. Enjoy your club room
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Be glad to have booked the club room.
Heh

As a SPG Gold, I've been in club level rooms 3 times this year.

The first time was at the Sheraton Boston......it was an upgrade.

The 2nd time was at the Sheraton Inner Harbor.....it was also an upgrade on a reservation made using a SPG50 award.

The 3rd time was last night at the Sheraton Gunter Hotel in San Antonio.......

This was the only time that I specifically booked a club level room (something I will be more cautious about in the future...read on)

I even e-mailed the hotel to ask if the level/lounge would be open since Sheraton's website for said hotel had previously said that the club level would be undergoing renervations during that time.....yet was informed that the renevations were being delayed until a later date and that "the club level Lounge and floor will be open".

Note: If the lounge wasn't going to be open during my stay, I would have rebooked at a lower rate.

Imagine my surprise to find out after I checked in that the lounge was closed...... since it's always closed all day Saturday and Sunday morning.

I think there should have been some indication that the lounge would not be open...... either before or even while booking my reservation.......let alone in the e-mail response from the hotel to my inquiry about this specific aspect of my stay.

A.J.

Last edited by Bulldog King; Dec 4, 2005 at 10:19 pm
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:04 am

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Just few data points

Others are right to say not to expect anything when you check in. Having said that, I've been upgraded to Club level or equivalent twice in 3 stays since I became Gold. But then most of them were on weekends, with lounge being closed. As Preferred Plus member, I was upgraded about 3 times in 10 stays to Club or equivalent (not counting "Preferred" rooms).

YMMV, but I probably wouldn't have as much luck if I was staying during the week.

BTW, I don't think everyone is Gold, but I'll agree that Gold isn't that special except for the bonus points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.