Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Link to download Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) Gold Preferred Member Guide.

Link to Starwood Preferred Guest Gold elite status benefit page. In part (08/2014):

Gold status is reached after completing 10 eligible stays or 25 eligible nights in a calendar year. Eligible paid stays and nights and Award redemption stays and nights count toward elite status earning. As a Gold member, you’ll receive all the benefits of Preferred, plus much more:
  • Three Starpoints for every eligible U.S. dollar spent – a 50% bonus over base-level membership.
  • 4 p.m. late checkout,1 so you can sleep in, relax by the pool or see more of the local area you’re visiting.
  • An enhanced room at check-in, when available.2
  • Special elite customer service telephone line (available in most countries).
  • New! Your choice of a welcome gift with each stay. Choose from bonus Starpoints, complimentary in-room Internet access or a complimentary beverage.

and

Introducing SPG Lifetime Gold!

Be golden – for life. Never go below Gold membership level when you achieve 250 eligible nights total and any 5 years of elite SPG status.
SPG has a "soft landing" policy so members will not drop more than one status tier in one year.
Updated 11 Aug 2014
Print Wikipost

FAQ: SPG gold benefits - what are they?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I found no real benefit in NA for SPG Gold, other than the 50% bonus points. Recognition seems to be a little better in Europe.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Braindrain
I found no real benefit in NA for SPG Gold, other than the 50% bonus points.
And the extra point per dollar IS the sole real benefit of SPG Gold. Everything else (upgrade and 4 PM checkout) you get automatically with Preferred Plus (AKA Preferred Business). You get Plus status automatically with your Starwood Amex card.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:02 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I agree that the point bonus is the best feature of gold. Now, it also does depend a bit on the hotels you are staying at. For example, I get a pretty good room at the Aladdin in Las Vegas and I know that in BKK they will upgrade golds to the jr. suite but when ask about golds being upgraded to the club floor they said they didnt do that there. So, just like any program there are properties that try to give a little more to the mid-tier and those that dont.

I hate to make this into a Hilton vs. SPG thread but I noticed quite a difference several years ago when I made gold for the first time with Hilton but most of the time I dont see much recognition of my status with SPG but again it could just be the properties I am staying at......not much they can give you at a cheap 4PTS airport location.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
I'm not sure that citing the 4Pts YXD is the best selection for determining whether SPG Gold is worth it. The hotel is "relatively" new to the *Wood brand and the staff, at least in my experience, isn't exactly "up-to-speed" with the program. Also, is it possible that even though the hotel wasn't full, that the SPG floor was already occupied ? I don't stay there any longer but choose to take my business to the Westin YXD. It's actually quite a bit cheaper on a government rate than the 4 Pts. I consistently have had exemplary service at the hotel and have been upgraded on every one of my stays (but I also spend 15-35 nights there annually). If you would like some addresses of the guest services coordinator at the Westin, PM me.
Another example is the Sheraton Cavalier in YYC which gives both Gold and Plats access to the Club lounge automatically. On my last stay, instead of me working on them to get access, the front desk staff told me of this new policy change. Having said all of that, YMMV - as mine has depending on what property is being referenced.

Originally Posted by yvrcnx
I am a SPG gold member, have been so for the last 3 years, before that I have been Platinum for about 2 years but seem to always be about 5 nights short of Platinum, which is o.k.

Yesterday I checked in at the 4P Sheraton in Edmonton. I had booked a suite, which is small and not expensive as one might think. $ 30.00 more compared to a regular room.

When I got to my room I was given a room right next to the elevator.
In my profile it says "away from elevator". The hotel was only about 60% occupied. I had also asked for a high floor and was told 5 (out of 7) was the highest I could get, I was o.k. with that.
I went downstairs and asked for another room and was told that I could get a room on the Starwood Preferred Guest floor which was on the 7th floor.
I asked:"Don't I automatically get a room on the Starwood Preferred guest floor as gold?"
She just said "no". If the hotel is full and I am getting one of the last rooms I understand but hotel was quite "empty" that night.

Having stayed in different properties including, Thailand, Korea and all over Canada I have not found anykind of advantage to being gold excpet the extra points.
I guess we can't expect to much, after all for Gold only 10 stays are needed.
Is there another program that is a little more generous and consistant when achiving Gold?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Big advantage of Gold is point earning bonus. 4 normal with Starwood card, 6 if double, 8 if triple (promos)
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:14 am

My experiences so far as Gold:

- LM Orchard SIN: Priority check in/check out desk. Helped when checking out as there was a tour group crowding around the regular check in desk, and the priority one had no queues. I also got a room on the top floor, although it didn't seem any different to a regular room.

- LM HKG - Huge corner room, welcome tea set, free fruit platter.

- 4P SYD - SPG floor (although I couldn't work out how that's different to regular floors), upgrade to harbor view room.

Pretty happy thus far.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently got Butler room upgrade on award stay at Sheraton Park Tower in London. (Luck, but status can only help)

Also Corner "Suite" upgrade at Dom Hotel in Cologne.

While "Preferred Plus" is supposed to have the same upgrade benefit as Gold, I'll bet that hotels do give higher preference or whatever to Golds.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:15 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
While "Preferred Plus" is supposed to have the same upgrade benefit as Gold, I'll bet that hotels do give higher preference or whatever to Golds.
What proof do you have? I am currently Preferred Plus and was formerly Gold. I have received the same types of upgrades since the change in status (7 stays in 2006). I have also asked the hotel front desk in each hotel and they confirmed that they treat SPG P+ and Gold the same for upgraded rooms. So I believe the quoted statement is not true.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
I've had drastically different experiences as an SPG Gold.

Some hotels flat out don't notice and give me whatever is left and yell at me when I want to check out at 3.

Here are some notable Gold recognitions I've received:

1. An upgrade to those cool bi-level suites at the SFO 4 Points (very nice!). This happened 2/3 times staying there.
2. A cool corner room with a lounge area at the Bay Bridge 4 Points.
3. A nice club floor room at the University City Sheraton (PHL).
4. A high level room with a welcome gift at the St. Regis DC.
5. A club level room at the Sheraton Roma West

So yeah - the rule of thumb as a Gold is don't expect anything, but don't be too surprised when you do get something. :-)
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I had a similar experience at Sheraton Bellevue. No free gold upgrade (even though hotel not full) but for $30 extra I got a room on the SPG level and free breakfasts. So much for taking care of Golds (by contrast as Hilton Gold I routinely get upgrades and access to free breakfast in lounge on priceline stays!) Also don't count on 4pm checkout at resorts - lucky to get 2pm.

Now to be fair I did receive a nice upgrade on a free stay in Maui. But the general rule is don't expect much unless you are Plat.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by DCBob
What proof do you have? I am currently Preferred Plus and was formerly Gold. I have received the same types of upgrades since the change in status (7 stays in 2006). I have also asked the hotel front desk in each hotel and they confirmed that they treat SPG P+ and Gold the same for upgraded rooms. So I believe the quoted statement is not true.
My experience was the same as yours. As a Gold, the only difference I ever experienced as opposed to Preferred Plus was the extra point per dollar. And if there is a double or triple point promo, the extra point is not multiplied. I would think that they would have some promos that multiply this extra point to highlight the benefits of Gold.

As a Platinum, I have received better upgrades. I find suite upgrades to be rare, but I almost always received some kind of upgrade. Sometimes it was the seemingly meaningless club floor (that I got as Preferred Plus) but often a good ugprade.

The moral to the story is that if you want better treatment other than the extra point per dollar, you probably have to make Platinum.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 2:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Cool

Originally Posted by Braindrain
I found no real benefit in NA for SPG Gold, other than the 50% bonus points. Recognition seems to be a little better in Europe.
Got to agree with you on this. I've always received an upgrade in Europe in the two years I've had a gold card. This is based on around 15 stays in Europe at a mixture of Sheraton and Luxury Collection properties. In NA the gold card appears to have little to no status at most properties I have visited.

The bonus points have made a big difference though, so thanks to Starwood my anniversary trips are usually on them.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 7:03 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Question - Do you bring your Starwood Gold card and flash it at checking? Or does having the number set in your reservation automatically tell them whether you're pref. plus, gold, or platinum - and you don't need to show them the card?

I have a SPG Amex and I always use that to pay, but I'm going to be Gold soon and started wondering what I need to do to get the occasional perk from it. I'd rather not carry the membership card unless i need to - it bulks up the wallet, etc.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 7:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by dewolfxy
Question - Do you bring your Starwood Gold card and flash it at checking? Or does having the number set in your reservation automatically tell them whether you're pref. plus, gold, or platinum - and you don't need to show them the card?

I have a SPG Amex and I always use that to pay, but I'm going to be Gold soon and started wondering what I need to do to get the occasional perk from it. I'd rather not carry the membership card unless i need to - it bulks up the wallet, etc.
If you book with your number, they will know. In fact, the first letter of your number indicates your status (B=Preferred Plus, G=Gold, P=Platinum). I have usually not had to produce the card, but there may be exceptions.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 8:51 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
I've been a Gold for a year or two, and my experience has been pretty much the same as those here -- don't expect much, at least in North America.

When I was in driving around Europe this summer I had lots of upgrades and other benefits. At the Le Meridien in Rimini, Italy, the manager had a welcome letter and bottle of real balsamic vinegar waiting for me in my room. That was pretty neat.

On the flip side, I was traveling with some friends who have SPG Platinum, and we always compared rooms and amenities. Their upgrades and welcome gifts were always a cut above mine. Always better rooms, always better fruit platters, bigger bottles of vinegar, etc. That's one of the reasons I'm going to try for platinum this year, especially with the double credits promo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.