Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Link to download Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) Gold Preferred Member Guide.

Link to Starwood Preferred Guest Gold elite status benefit page. In part (08/2014):

Gold status is reached after completing 10 eligible stays or 25 eligible nights in a calendar year. Eligible paid stays and nights and Award redemption stays and nights count toward elite status earning. As a Gold member, you’ll receive all the benefits of Preferred, plus much more:
  • Three Starpoints for every eligible U.S. dollar spent – a 50% bonus over base-level membership.
  • 4 p.m. late checkout,1 so you can sleep in, relax by the pool or see more of the local area you’re visiting.
  • An enhanced room at check-in, when available.2
  • Special elite customer service telephone line (available in most countries).
  • New! Your choice of a welcome gift with each stay. Choose from bonus Starpoints, complimentary in-room Internet access or a complimentary beverage.

and

Introducing SPG Lifetime Gold!

Be golden – for life. Never go below Gold membership level when you achieve 250 eligible nights total and any 5 years of elite SPG status.
SPG has a "soft landing" policy so members will not drop more than one status tier in one year.
Updated 11 Aug 2014
Print Wikipost

FAQ: SPG gold benefits - what are they?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:49 pm

Programs: Co Plat - Marriott Plat
New To SPG Gold - Upgrades?

Ok, I did a search. I still dont understand this upgrade thing a Starwood. I'm SPG gold.

I'm staying at the Sheration Centre in Toronto this weekend. When I checked in, I asked can I get a club floor upgrade? The front desk clerk says "yes, for 40.00 per night". I told her "I tought as a gold I would get an upgrade due to availability.. you have them available since you want to charge me 40.00 so why don't i get the upgrade?"

She smiled and said- only Plats get upgraded at this hotel.

No newspaper / no turn down ... why do they do this?
Old Jun 18, 2006, 9:14 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by CraigS
Ok, I did a search. I still dont understand this upgrade thing a Starwood. I'm SPG gold.

I'm staying at the Sheration Centre in Toronto this weekend. When I checked in, I asked can I get a club floor upgrade? The front desk clerk says "yes, for 40.00 per night". I told her "I tought as a gold I would get an upgrade due to availability.. you have them available since you want to charge me 40.00 so why don't i get the upgrade?"

I have been Gold for two years and almost always get at least upgraded to the SPG floor. In some hotels in both Canada and the US I have recieved upgrades to Club/Executive floors. Anytime I have been upgraded, it has been without asking.

Not getting a newspaper seems a little strange. I stayed last week at Sheraton Gateway YYZ and did receive a paper. During this stay I was upgraded without request to the SPG floor.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
From the SPG Terms and Conditions:
In addition to the benefits of Preferred Guest membership, Gold Preferred Guests receive the following benefits:
b. Upgrades to a Preferred Room at Participating Properties at the time of check-in based upon room availability for your entire stay. Preferred Rooms are identified by each property and are superior standard rooms that may include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ditions.html#6
Some hotels do upgrade Golds to Executive Level rooms, but they by no means have to.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 4:10 am

Programs: Co Plat - Marriott Plat
So... thats like having status with the airlines, getting notified you have recieved a upgrade... getting on the plane and finding out you have not been upgraded to 1st or business class but have been given a isle seat rather then a middles seat? I thought the upgrades were bad at Marriott...
Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:31 am

Programs: All the regulars for an American. Retired now so peon on all of them
From the SPG web site under Gold benefits:

Automatic Room Upgradesą: As an elite member, you don't need to redeem Starpoints for a room upgrade --- you'll automatically be given a Preferred Room at check-in when available.

ąPreferred Rooms are identified by each property and are superior standard rooms that may include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views.

I guess the footnote should also say this benefit is arbitrary and completely at the individual hotel's discretion. That would be an honest description of the benefit. At least then budding SPG members could make an informed decision prior to committing to the program.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 7:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Welcome to SPG Gold, where Gold means more Starpoints, but that's it.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 7:57 am
MeNoSay

As a Gold, I have always expected the room I reserve and have never been disappointed. Sometimes, I have been given noticable upgrades, particularly outside the U.S.

As a Plat, I had higher expectations and almost always was satisfied.

Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AirCan Prestige
Originally Posted by CraigS

I stayed there last week. I'm a gold and asked for an upgrade. I was told that they were almost completely sold-out, so they had only smoking club-floor rooms, which they offered to me without charge. I declined. I was given a corner room, which seemed larger than the other rooms on my floor (judging by the floorplan on the back of my door).

Did you check in at the special gold/platinum desk or the regular check-in counter?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum, AA Plat
As a Gold, I have gotten upgraded at times, including twice to suites in the last year, so it does happen.

In general though, I think all Starwood is promising is that you won't get the worst room in the hotel. (unless its the only one left!)

If you adopt the attitude of expecting nothing, you'll be pleasantly surprised from time to time
Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:24 am

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
:)

Originally Posted by McGoGo56
If you adopt the attitude of expecting nothing, you'll be pleasantly surprised from time to time
If you want to believe the marketing hype, your visits will be full of confusion and disappointment...

(just days shy of Plat, two years running, not a single upgrade as gold, north american or asia props...)
Old Jun 23, 2006, 7:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
More points and that's it!!!

As a Gold, I experienced nothing more than extra points. True that I had the "Preferred Plus" status that comes free from the Amex card before making Gold. It seems that I got upgrades to club or preferred rooms as both PP and Gold, but never suites. I only got a suite upgrade after making Platinum.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC MM
SPG Gold any advantages?

I am a SPG gold member, have been so for the last 3 years, before that I have been Platinum for about 2 years but seem to always be about 5 nights short of Platinum, which is o.k.

Yesterday I checked in at the 4P Sheraton in Edmonton. I had booked a suite, which is small and not expensive as one might think. $ 30.00 more compared to a regular room.

When I got to my room I was given a room right next to the elevator.
In my profile it says "away from elevator". The hotel was only about 60% occupied. I had also asked for a high floor and was told 5 (out of 7) was the highest I could get, I was o.k. with that.
I went downstairs and asked for another room and was told that I could get a room on the Starwood Preferred Guest floor which was on the 7th floor.
I asked:"Don't I automatically get a room on the Starwood Preferred guest floor as gold?"
She just said "no". If the hotel is full and I am getting one of the last rooms I understand but hotel was quite "empty" that night.

Having stayed in different properties including, Thailand, Korea and all over Canada I have not found anykind of advantage to being gold excpet the extra points.
I guess we can't expect to much, after all for Gold only 10 stays are needed.
Is there another program that is a little more generous and consistant when achiving Gold?
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:51 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
I am a SPG gold member, have been so for the last 3 years, before that I have been Platinum for about 2 years but seem to always be about 5 nights short of Platinum, which is o.k.

Yesterday I checked in at the 4P Sheraton in Edmonton. I had booked a suite, which is small and not expensive as one might think. $ 30.00 more compared to a regular room.

When I got to my room I was given a room right next to the elevator.
In my profile it says "away from elevator". The hotel was only about 60% occupied. I had also asked for a high floor and was told 5 (out of 7) was the highest I could get, I was o.k. with that.
I went downstairs and asked for another room and was told that I could get a room on the Starwood Preferred Guest floor which was on the 7th floor.
I asked:"Don't I automatically get a room on the Starwood Preferred guest floor as gold?"
She just said "no". If the hotel is full and I am getting one of the last rooms I understand but hotel was quite "empty" that night.

Having stayed in different properties including, Thailand, Korea and all over Canada I have not found anykind of advantage to being gold excpet the extra points.
I guess we can't expect to much, after all for Gold only 10 stays are needed.
Is there another program that is a little more generous and consistant when achiving Gold?
HHonors Gold is the best mid-level status among all hotel programs. Here is the link.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by rdchen
HHonors Gold is the best mid-level status among all hotel programs. Here is the link.
I actually have HHonors Gold, got it comped by Air Canada last year.
I did use them a few times during the first few month of this year and you are right IIRC, they gave me breakfast vouchers and always rooms on a higher floor or better room because I was Gold, even in Hilton Garden Inn's.
For some reason I focused in SPG as I was hoping to make Platinum this year and spend a quite a few nights in Starwood properties in Asia.
I should have probably stayed with HHonors and get Diamond there.

Last edited by yvrcnx; Sep 5, 2006 at 2:40 pm
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:37 pm

Location: Washington DC; UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
One benefit is that you have the option of using the Gold/Platinum check-in lines which sometimes can be much shorter than the regular line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.