Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel (was Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel (was Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2008, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
I know of the general threads regarding this hotel, but I wonder if anyone has recent experience of their treatment of Platinums?
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
where is Cheap Elite lol!!!!
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:26 am

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat
Smile Great Place To Stay

I stay at the Sheraton NY Towers every week. It is a great location. I work in downtown and can jump on the E train right outside the door to go to work. When I'm there at night / evening, I can walk to great shopping, Times Square or Central Park. It is a great location. I have stayed there about 15 times so far and have never had a bad room. No rooms have no view of anything other than other office buildings / apartments. My rooms have always been clean, well appointed and comfortable.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Do not throw away your $1000!!! While there are many negative postings, keep in mind that noone is going to do a post titled "Average, Uneventful Stay @ SHeraton NY".

I have stayed there 20+ times and have never seen a rat or bug. Some of the rooms show wear (i.e. the edge of the desk may be chipped) but the physical infrastructure of the hotel and rooms is fine. The location is great - you can walk to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and Central Park.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:23 pm

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
what in the world are people expecting in nyc for that price, the hotel is fine, it certainly is on par with anything priced at that rate in nyc

centrally located on a great street
Old Mar 7, 2008, 8:38 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I agree this property isnt that bad...

...as a plat I get a 2 room suite (but I always have to ask, never offered), the club lounge is OK and its full of packaged tourists. however location is excellent, theres a garage right across the street where you can park for $30/day, and theres always tons of cabs. When in NYC I dont spend much time in the room and for $250/night aaa rate i dont think its bad for a very expensive city.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: AA 2 MM Plt, *wood Plt
Originally Posted by michca
Hello all,
I went through Priceline (only bidding on 4-star hotels in MTW, MTE) in an attempt to save some money on my stay in New York next week
michca - Please let us know how the stay was.

I'll be there next week for a few nights. Been there literally dozens of times over the past 6 years, but not since December. Take this hotel for what it is. A very big (1700+ rooms) business/convention/tours/events property with great location. It's not luxury, it's a bit worn (carpets, furnishings, tv) but fully functional. You got a great rate in NY - hope the stay was enjoyable.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:36 am

Guest reviews are one measurement that should be considered at any property. Isn't it great to have this resource at our fingertips? I think if you had 10 out of 10 recent reviews of roaches and mice and other goodies creepin and crawling in the rooms, you might consider another property. That is just not the case at this Sheraton.

For the person who gave the poor reviews, it was probably a traumatic event and they have every right to be upset. But I wouldn't assume this to be a chronic problem there, otherwise many negative reviews would follow, and as a previous poster reported, we hear at FT would be all over it! =)

If you want to feel more comfortable, look at a larger pool of reviews from tripadvisor, priceline, travelocity, etc.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:41 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Originally Posted by HomerJ
...as a plat I get a 2 room suite (but I always have to ask, never offered), the club lounge is OK and its full of packaged tourists. however location is excellent, theres a garage right across the street where you can park for $30/day, and theres always tons of cabs. When in NYC I dont spend much time in the room and for $250/night aaa rate i dont think its bad for a very expensive city.
Thanks. Is the lounge open on weekends or is it just during weekdays (a lot of lounges are like this for businessmen I guess--that's a drag for leisure travelers)?
Old Mar 8, 2008, 7:58 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I just spent two nights this week at the Sheraton NY Hotel and Towers and have to say I ran into none of the problems the OP cited from TripAdvisor. It was a good, uneventful stay.

As a Plat, at check in I was given a room on the main Club floor (44); turns out there are four floors with Club rooms, but 44 is where the Club Lounge itself is. The room was smallish (two double beds) but typical in size for NYC; the furnishings were modern but not new; the bed was quite comfortable. There were two free bottles of Poland Spring water on the counter that were replenished daily, and in-room Starbucks coffee.

The Club Lounge is huge and has some nice views. I didn't have the evening snacks, but did have breakfast there, and was quite pleased by the variety -- everything from the usual bagels and muffins to oatmeal, lots of fresh cut fruit, yogurt, cereals, even hard boiled eggs. Good coffee and juices.

There is also a relatively regular SPG Gold/Plat reception on Wednesday evenings (5-7pm) in the President's Suite on 21 where there is complimentary wine, good snacks, and Donna Robinson, who is the property's SPG Coordinator. This isn't held every week, since it's based on availability of the Suite, but I found it elegant, pleasant, and a chance to talk with hotel management about the SPG program at that property.

I'd stay there again. As others have said, the location is great.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Forget everything you know about price/value relationship and 'you get what you pay for' in New York.

In most parts of a the country a $300 room night buys you something nice, special even.

At times in New York it buys you only the Ramada (and many times I've seen the HoJo's at Penn Station for $249). The Hilton Garden Inn properties run $350-ish frequently.

The Sheraton New York will give you an ok stay, a small room, more or less basic accomodations.

But on the whole other hotels at the same price point will offer you the same.

And as a former New Yorker I can further remind you that the service at hotels in the city is, on the whole, being provided by New Yorkers.

You should be fine, just set your expectations appropriate for Manhattan.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 12:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
One real plus of the property is the health club. It is one of the finest health clubs of any Starwood property worldwide. It may not win in elegance, but it is very nice and extremely well-equipped. Very few properties have such a complete set of equipment.

In fact, I live in the neighborhood and am a member. There are lots of health clubs in the neighborhood and this is my favorite (the hours of operation are very good). The Parker Méridien is also excellent--but not a normal Starwood property for benefits. Both also have swimming pools (the Sheraton is at the Sheraton Manhattan).
Old Mar 11, 2008, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
just checked in, worst attitude ive had ever at a spg property. Im a plt, no upgrades, standard room with lots of attitude not even the club floor, oh and 2 beds as i reserved one. this was a complete opposite to my last 3 nights, 2 in germany and one in london. please someone train mike p a bit better. i called the plt line, lets see if they can straighten him out a bit

c
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:33 pm

This property is on my do not stay list after stuffing me into a room the size of a closet with about 4 feet between the bed and the wall while charging me $550 a night...bast****
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
This hotel is pretty worned down over the years. I saw a cockroach crawling along the wall when i styed there in Nov. I only stay there for the health club and stay credits. I perfer the Hyatt which sometimes have similar rates. Another hotel in the same location is the Hilton on 6th ave (same street). I was there few weeks back and the rooms were recently renovated and clean. So check that out for your $1K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.