Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[NEW] The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Opened May 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2008, 5:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Another addition for the mattress-runners at KL Sentral

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news08...laLumpur.shtml

Starwood Hotels & Resorts is to introduce its luxury St. Regis brand to Malaysia with the signing of The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur. Owned by ONE IFC Sdn Bhd, the newly constructed property will include 200 guest rooms and 200 whole-ownership St. Regis branded Residences, as well as a luxury Remède spa, gourmet dining and spacious meeting facilities.

The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur is scheduled to open in 2014, and will offer a prime location in KL Sentral, directly opposite the National Museum and Lake Gardens. Spanning 72 acres, KL Sentral is one of the largest commercial developments in Kuala Lumpur today and is regarded by many as the city’s new Central Business District. Guests will appreciate the hotel’s close proximity to the KL Sentral railway hub and major commercial areas including KLCC and Bukit Bintang.

The capital and largest city in Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur is one of the best examples of an Asian city that has managed to preserve the best of its cultural heritage while emerging as one of Asia’s fastest growing centers for trade, commerce, finance, and information technology.

“The sustained demand for luxury accommodations, the legendary bespoke service of the St. Regis brand, and the unrivaled location of this hotel in the KL Sentral area will make St. Regis Kuala Lumpur an extremely attractive choice for travelers to this dynamic capital city,” said Mr. Miguel Ko, President for Starwood Hotels & Resorts, Asia Pacific.

The New York-based architecture firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP (SOM) has been appointed as the main architect for the ONE IFC development. Founded in 1936, SOM is one of the world's leading architecture, urban design, engineering, and interior architecture firms with a portfolio that features some of the most important architectural accomplishments of the 20th century.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I would not bet my dollar on it.

KL projects are so uncertain. I'm still waiting for the Grand Hyatt which was all touted as confirmed and all that as recent as 4 years ago... when it was still a hole in the ground. G*d knows what it is now as a building is there but I have no idea what it is.

And 6 years is a long time away !
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

KL projects are so uncertain. I'm still waiting for the Grand Hyatt which was all touted as confirmed and all that as recent as 4 years ago... when it was still a hole in the ground. G*d knows what it is now as a building is there but I have no idea what it is.

I understand the GH building was half constructed and then abandoned. Abandoning big constrution projects is quite common in Malaysia, with many of the small time debelopers who undertake these projects being fairly underfunded to start with.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i cant recall another project this size being announced 6 years ahead.

jeese, FS residences apparently oversold. its still 2010.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 3:49 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

Thanks for the message. Thanks to the OP for the 1st hand notification as well.

I have no news on this at all unfortunately and you are right, I have,currently 8 Regis properties to introduce during these 6 years before I reach KL.

[email protected]
Old Jun 13, 2008, 5:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

With 200 hotel rooms and 200 residences, its pretty obvious the bulk of the space will be residences and the developer is leveraging on the St Regis name to sell them. Whether or not the hotel will materialise will depend very much on the sale performance of the residences. Honestly, KL Sentral is not that desirable an area to live but thats just my opinion.

From the local press it seems design will only be completed late next year and its quite normal to take 3-4 years to complete the construction of a major building. The main personality behind this project is a highprofile former stockbroker who is also building an exclusive residential block right next to the Mandarin Oriental and owns an office block nearby, so not exactly a "small time developer" but not quite "capitaland" either.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:17 pm
Y'z

200 hotel rooms and 200 residences sound too big for St Regis.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Y'z
200 hotel rooms and 200 residences sound too big for St Regis.
~400 > ~500
bal harbour - 183 + 268 + 37 + 24
SIN - 299 + 173
CGK - 176 + 284
KUL 200 + 200

~300
ATL - 150 + 50
BKK - 198 + 71 + 22
deer valley - 200 + 67 + 26
NYC - 256 + 24 + 22
SFO - 214 + 102
MEX - 189 + 104

~220
FLL - 169 + 33 + 25

i didnt include properties with villas/estates
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:41 pm
Y'z

Wow, I didn't realize Singapore has almost 450 accommodations. And Bal Harbour is even getting bigger. I prefer around 100 to 200 rooms for a luxury hotel.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Y'z
... I prefer around 100 to 200 rooms for a luxury hotel.
check out the luxury hotels forum sometime

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 14, 2008 at 12:09 am
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:56 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Post St. Regis Makes Landmark Entry into Malaysia with St. Regis Kuala Lumpur - opens 2014

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

St. Regis Makes Landmark Entry into Malaysia with The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur
Tuesday June 17, 11:30 am ET
Offering an Unrivaled Dimension of Luxury and Elegance, The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur Features World-Class Cuisine and the Signature St. Regis Butler Service in the Heart of One of Asia's Most Influential Metropolises

SINGAPORE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT - News) today announced the introduction of its renowned St. Regis brand to Malaysia, with plans to debut a new property in 2014 in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur will feature 200 lavishly appointed guest rooms and 200 whole-ownership St. Regis branded Residences as well as world-class dining options and spacious meeting facilities. Owned by ONE IFC Sdn Bhd, The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur will offer an unrivaled dimension of luxury, sophistication and bespoke service as part of a premier mixed-used development called ONE IFC in the prestigious Kuala Lumpur Sentral Precinct (KL Sentral).

“We are thrilled with the landmark entry of the St. Regis brand into Malaysia. The sustained demand for luxury accommodations, the legendary bespoke service of the St. Regis brand, and the unrivaled location of this hotel in the KL Sentral area will make The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur an extremely attractive choice for travelers coming to this dynamic capital city,” said Mr. Miguel Ko, President for Starwood Hotels & Resorts, Asia Pacific. “The growth of international arrivals has remained strong as a result of efforts by the Tourism Authority of Malaysia to promote Malaysia and Kuala Lumpur as a destination for business, leisure and meetings.”

Ideally located at one of the city’s best addresses, The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur is within walking distance of the National Museum and Lake Gardens as well as the KL Sentral railway hub and major commercial areas including KLCC and Bukit Bingtang. Spanning 72 acres, KL Sentral is the largest commercial development in Kuala Lumpur today and is regarded by many as the city’s new Central Business District. The capital and largest city in Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur is one of the best examples of an Asian city that has managed to preserve the best of its cultural heritage while emerging as one of Asia’s fastest growing centers for trade, commerce, finance, and information technology.

Press Release
Old Jun 17, 2008, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
wish it was bit sooner. im thinking of going in the near future. but congrats to all those that travel there often and like st regis
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: UA - Platinum, SPG - Platinum 75
Bump.

Any news on this? According to the website, it's opening April 1, 2016... I'll be there mid-April, might check it out!
Old Feb 28, 2016, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd make a refundable backup hotel reservation in case it doesn't open on time.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:13 pm

It is nowhere near ready.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.