Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: *wood to allow point earning on stays up to 90 days

FAQ: *wood to allow point earning on stays up to 90 days

Old Jun 13, 2008, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Exclamation FAQ: *wood to allow point earning on stays up to 90 days

Last night, while attending the aloft party, I stumbled into the following information...

Starwood will allow you to earn points for stays up to 90 days, from the current 30.

I know a small percentage of Flyertalkers have extended stays. I recall reading posts in the past were a certain west coast Flyertalker was upset that she couldn't receive points for stays over 30 days.

I don't recall when this new policy will begin. Somehow Starwood has figured out a legal way to do this. ^

dh
Old Jun 13, 2008, 8:45 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, AM Gold, Avis First
What I don't get is why wouldn't Starwood WANT to encourage people to stay as many nights in a row as possible? They have costs associated with checking a party in and out, and these are diminished with extended stays. Their promotions and methods of disbursing points (i.e. platinum amenity) also seem to encourage people to hotel hop, where I would think they would make more money encouraging longer stays. Perhaps the 90 day move is a step in the right direction. I love the SPG program but have never understood how the policies and programs encouraging shorter stays and hotel hopping are beneficial to anyone....
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:05 pm
Suspended

under certain jurisdictions, taxes do not apply to accomodation booked 30 days or more. The problem nowadays is that the onus is on the consumer to actively know and argue for this with properties individually and there are many greedy properties who choose to keep the tax amount for themselves. And if you want spg to be involved in fighting for your rights, i think you can forget about it.

Its the same with government rates. The federal government/state government do not compensate the hotels directly. It is just like any other rate that properties choose to decide who they wish to offer. If they like your face, they can offer it to you. If you are a genuine government employee but the property doesn't like you, it can try to make things as difficult for you as possible. Including dishing you the worst room on the house because of the rate you paid.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:10 pm

In 2006 I stayed 200+ consecutive nights in a Starwood property that had several other long-term residents from my employer (one guy was checked in for 3 and a half consecutive years, well over 1000 consecutive nights), the friendly folks at the front desk and the back office ensured that I got points for each and every night that I was there.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:48 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I don't recall when this new policy will begin.
Effective June 1, 2008.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...cs#post9786458
Old Nov 22, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: SQ PPS UA 1K MM
30 night rule?

I'm in hourse at LM HKT, and going on 24 days now, may extend to 30, and past what do I do to make sure I get full credit for the nights stayed, and of course points, as I have racked up quite a folio here. I don't want to get screwed with this 30 day crap.. I can't be checking out then in as I Am grandfathered in with a decent rate...

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 22, 2008 at 9:22 am Reason: Merged into thread with more information on topic
Old Nov 22, 2008, 8:59 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Reefdiver
I'm in hourse at LM HKT, and going on 24 days now, may extend to 30, and past what do I do to make sure I get full credit for the nights stayed, and of course points, as I have racked up quite a folio here. I don't want to get screwed with this 30 day crap.. I can't be checking out then in as I Am grandfathered in with a decent rate...
You might want to take trip through the Terms and Conditions of Membership in SPG every now and then. The 30-day rule was changed to 90 earlier this year.

Best regards,

William
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:11 am

Programs: SQ PPS UA 1K MM
Ohhhhh very good! Thanks! Was getting worried about my 20 night/25K promo!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Cannot seem to find the thread on this specific subject although I know it's buried somewhere. If one checks out and checks back into a property, can it be counted as two stays? I know it is not supposed to be done that way, but does the computer ever catch it and not award the second stay credit? Would it help to not make the res for the second night until after checking out of the first night?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:00 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Cannot seem to find the thread on this specific subject although I know it's buried somewhere. If one checks out and checks back into a property, can it be counted as two stays?
Officially, no.

I know it is not supposed to be done that way, but does the computer ever catch it and not award the second stay credit?
Yes, quite often.

Would it help to not make the res for the second night until after checking out of the first night?
I don't know. Depends upon whether or not the hotel is paying attention, I suppose, so YMMV.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:27 pm

Maximum Limit for SPG points?

Hi There,
I need some guidance from you experts. I have an opportunity to do a long stay at a Sheraton for about 180 consecutive days. I talked to the hotel and they said that they will give me Starpoints for the first 90 days and they will cap the SPG points right there.

According to them SPG will not allow to give more credit past 90 days for each stay. Is that true? I guess I can always split the stay if that is the case, but I want to check and see if that is reasonably accurate.

Can you please let me know when you have a moment?

Thanks
UALFLYER1

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 4, 2009 at 12:11 am Reason: Merged into FAQ on the topic
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:57 pm

90 days is the new limit

90 days is the new limit for starpoints on consecutive nights.
I suggest you split your stay and checkout. Speak to the properties concerned and get your eligible rate confirmed as well as any other benefits.Avoids much disappointment,confusion and anger later.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:03 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
I would stick a night at another property between the 2 90 day stays so there is no he said she said later on. Plus you wouldn't want SPG to end up telling you that the favor the GM did was against the T&C of SPG.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 2:58 am

WOW...

You guys are amazing and I really appreciate your help.

I am think i am going to check out and check back in after spending 1 night at another hotel.

Best
UALFLYER1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.