Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: 4 PM Late Check-Out: A benefit for Platinum, Gold & Preferred Plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What are the published terms of the late check-out benefit?
The exact language on the SPG website is
4 p.m. late checkout, where available. [Footnote: Subject to availability at resort and conference center hotels.]
Where can I find these terms stated on the SPG website?
Log into your SPG account and click on My Benefits (or go to https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ybenefits.html).
Where can I find a list of "resort and conference center hotels" on the SPG website?
You can't; it isn't there. However, one of the Starwood social-media representatives has posted (and regularly updates) a list at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18920557-post809.html.
Do front-desk clerks at Starwood properties have a program guide that contains information on this benefit?
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Whether they choose to print a hard copy for easy reference or not, the current (2014) SPG Program Guide is available through the company intranet site although the information cited now resides on Page 13, where it still says, "Guaranteed 4 pm late check-out (only at Resorts and Conference Centers is it subject to availability)"
Per Starwood Lurker, the relevant discussion in the 2015 SPG Program Guide is on page 12.
May a resort/conference property offer late checkout for a price?
Not to anyone entitled to late checkout elsewhere. According to Starwood Lurker, if late checkout is available for a price at resort/conference hotels, then it must be made available at no cost to SPG elites.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: 4 PM Late Check-Out: A benefit for Platinum, Gold & Preferred Plus

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jaejaez
It is also quite frustrating to read that the plat concierge reps repeatedly claim that the 4PM check-out is based on availability. I thought this was a thing of the past now... that the reps nowadays are better trained in this regard but I guess I was wrong.
i agree....i have experienced this fairly regularly as well....not just with late checkouts but with other guaranteed benefits as well that either the plat concierge or reps at the property or even my ambassador give me wrong information on....i feel they are not doing their job properly if i have to educate them on published benefits....
Old May 26, 2017, 11:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I finally found language, in the SPG system, which EXPLICITLY PROVIDES THE CORRECT 4PM GUARANTEE LANGUAGE.

I was making a new reservation yesterday and the following language appears on the reservation page:
Your elite status entitles you to a late checkout of 4 PM (this may not apply at some resort and conference hotels).
I think that is pretty clear.

Last edited by sbrower; May 30, 2017 at 2:47 pm
Old May 27, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Obviously, some have tried in the past and probably will in the future, but we've found the SPG Hotel Coordinators more than willing to step in and correct this.
This.

There are some renegade properties that have terrible management and hopefully 'outing' them with CCS will straighten them out. I fully realize that this will not correct every property, but its a starting point. Again, CCS file opened and not regular customer service where you get a wishy-washy non-answer from time to time.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Posters are counselled to re-read this post before piling into the "name the property" debate. @:-)
Since we know it is a "guaranteed" benefit, by not naming the outlier property, the discussion becomes meaningless.

We don't know if it is an exempt property, or one we should avoid because they don't think they have to follow the rules.

Perhaps the better answer is that, when a thread/response declines to name the property, the thread/response should be deleted for being an utter waste of time.

While I do not have a history of commenting on moderation, you raised the issue.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Question: I understand the benefit not being guaranteed at conference hotels due to high occupancy etc, but why do resorts have exclusions from the late check-out guarantee? Just curious and trying to understand where that rule comes from (I understand this is consistent across other loyalty programs).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by svo242
Question: I understand the benefit not being guaranteed at conference hotels due to high occupancy etc, but why do resorts have exclusions from the late check-out guarantee? Just curious and trying to understand where that rule comes from (I understand this is consistent across other loyalty programs).
Yes, conference and resort properties. I'm presuming it was requested by them due to housekeeping issues.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I just booked 1 night at Le Meridien Cyberport Hong Kong and received a reply to my request for a 4 pm check out:

Thank you for your reply and your request on late check out has been well-noted.

Please be informed that our standard check out time is at 12pm and we will try our best to arrange the late check out for you should room situation allows.

As discussed above, I thought 4 pm check out was guaranteed for Gold and Platinum members? Why isn't this property following this? I couldn't see it on the list of resorts. What should I do? Push this with the hotel?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I just booked 1 night at Le Meridien Cyberport Hong Kong and received a reply to my request for a 4 pm check out:

Thank you for your reply and your request on late check out has been well-noted.

Please be informed that our standard check out time is at 12pm and we will try our best to arrange the late check out for you should room situation allows.

As discussed above, I thought 4 pm check out was guaranteed for Gold and Platinum members? Why isn't this property following this? I couldn't see it on the list of resorts. What should I do? Push this with the hotel?
It is guaranteed in non-resort/conference properties. I get this message most times. I have (almost) never been denied 4pm checkout. (When I am, I simply state the rule and ask the manager to call my room so we can discuss. 100% success. And the manager almost never calls. They just agree to the late checkout.)
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by yorkboy24

As common with most people they read what they want. Seeing the words "subject to availability" is where they will stop and not see that it only applies to resort/conference properties. And even then, if they hold one conference a year (if even that), they may consider themselves to be a conference facility. Mostly they are trying to bluff their way out of taking the extra effort to deliver. Escalate to SPG, if needed, and get closure.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I emailed the hotel and the person who replied (different to the original one) has now confirmed 4 pm check out. It must be a case of staff training or some sort of standard line to pull a fast one. Anyway, it’s always worth keeping an eye on these issues.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:54 am

A couple days ago I asked Platinum desk whether 4pm late checkout is guaranteed or not except resort and conference center. Surprisingly, the reply was late checkout is usually granted, but may not be available, because the terms and conditions say “9.1 General. An SPG Member will only receive the benefits of Elite Preferred Guest Membership Status during a Stay at an SPG Participating Hotel(except for any applicable benefits earned in connection with Section 2.1.b. and Section 10). All services, amenities, and benefits of Elite Preferred Guest Membership Status are subject to change or substitution at any time without notice. In addition, all services, amenities and benefits are subject to availability and subject to the terms and conditions of each SPG Participating Hotel.“ It is unheard of for me.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by tvisitor
A couple days ago I asked Platinum desk whether 4pm late checkout is guaranteed or not except resort and conference center. Surprisingly, the reply was late checkout is usually granted, but may not be available, because the terms and conditions say “9.1 General. An SPG Member will only receive the benefits of Elite Preferred Guest Membership Status during a Stay at an SPG Participating Hotel(except for any applicable benefits earned in connection with Section 2.1.b. and Section 10). All services, amenities, and benefits of Elite Preferred Guest Membership Status are subject to change or substitution at any time without notice. In addition, all services, amenities and benefits are subject to availability and subject to the terms and conditions of each SPG Participating Hotel.“ It is unheard of for me.
While that may be true for conference centers and resorts, it is simply not true for all the other hotels.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
While that may be true for conference centers and resorts, it is simply not true for all the other hotels.
Yes, my understanding was exactly the same,but the reply clearly says the 4pm late checkout may not be given even at non resort and non conference center hotels.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by tvisitor

Yes, my understanding was exactly the same,but the reply clearly says the 4pm late checkout may not be given even at non resort and non conference center hotels.
The Lurkers can certainly speak up, but, I am not sure if it is accurate in practice. In fact, anytime someone has been "wrongfully" denied 4pm checkout, the Lurkers have taken care of it. I don't think you can tell elite members 4pm is guaranteed (non-resort/non-conference) and then when you go to a hotel say subject to availability. I think that would be a bit of bait and switch / false advertising. Guaranteed is guaranteed.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: SWA-A+&CP, UA,AA, Bonvoy-LifePlat, HH-Dia; Hertz-PC;
How do you determine if it is a "conference hotel"?

I was just denied the 4pm checkout which is critical for my stay - I am close to a convention center but not connected (several blocks), but the front desk said that they were sold out tomorrow so the manager had denied it, and it was not a guarantee. Should I escalate?

Thks all,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.