Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Times Square NYC 2007 - present [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2008, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you might also consider the gansevoort.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 2:04 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
I've had a really good experience and bad with such specially-advertised beds. It could indeed be an "old-style" bed that needs to be tightened, as those are sometimes the posh upscale newer ones.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 3:08 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
you might also consider the gansevoort.
What is this relevance to the topic???

To the OP - I've stayed at this property a few times and haven't experienced a "sagging bed" but I do know that I would have talked with somebody at the hotel if, in fact, it was unbearable as you mentioned. If you're staying at a hotel for an entire week then isn't it worth it to at least ask to be moved and/or see if they can find a bed more to your liking? Especially when, as you stated, you're paying $779 per night?
Old Jun 8, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Lufthansa, Marriott, Hilton
In my 15 years of travel I have had a sagging bed about 50% of the time. When I say something to the desk personnel, it goes on deaf ears, "I'm sorry sir but these rooms were recently rennovated". So I started asking for a bed board (but not this time). The bed board comes right up and housekeeping has to take apart the bed, place the piece of plywood, and remake the bed. But I sleep with no back ache.

I have always been a Sheraton or a Marriott guest. Sheraton has more sagging beds than Marriott. The Luxury Collection in Europe is the worst.

In hindsight, my $779 might have been a bargain. I checked with the Ritz Carlton on 59th and a standard room is priced at $1185. I am quite certain there are no sagging beds over there!

I posted my experience with beds at the W Times Square so that readers of this forum can be aware.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i replied to RoundAbout in their own original thread, and my post immediately follows one of their posts. they could probably have paid a similar rate for a suite at the gansevoort.

i personally enjoyed my stay in a suite at the gansevoort, and while i cannot make a service comparison, i would say it seems to me that the gansevoort's physical plant, furnishings, etc would be far superior.

i also do not know if RoundAbout would have been interested in clubs/etc, but the concierge at gansevoort seemed reasonably capable in terms of guestlists. suite guests are also guestlisted at g spa. (my understanding from this forum is that W concierges do not do that.)

in response to RoundAbout's post immediately before this one, i would just add that IMHO boutique hotels (like the gansevoort) often provide the best value in NYC. (in addition to using SPG50 for rooms @ st regis)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 8, 2008 at 9:35 pm
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Renovations at W Times Square

A very astute SPG Gold customer service representative just told me that the W Times Square is currently undergoing renovations. She called the hotel and they said the renovations are 50% complete. Has anyone stayed here recently? Which floors have been renovated?
Are the construction noises too loud to stay at the W Times Square?
Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by travelnow100
A very astute SPG Gold customer service representative just told me that the W Times Square is currently undergoing renovations. She called the hotel and they said the renovations are 50% complete. Has anyone stayed here recently? Which floors have been renovated?
Are the construction noises too loud to stay at the W Times Square?
Thanks!
I just got back last night from a 4 night stay at the property. Was in a corner room on the 43rd floor and the room was definitely not renovated. I even asked the front desk attendant when they would be renovating the rooms because they really need an overhaul. I was told that they are currently renovating the rooms from the bottom up. Not sure which floors have been renovated but he told me they "anticipate" being done by the end of August or so. He commented that the rooms would be much "lighter" and "brighter." All I know is that it is definitely time that this is done!!! Carpeting and some furniture in my room really needed replacing. In addition the stainless bathroom furniture (ladder for towels and vanity) had rusting issues and were spotted beyond belief. Bed looked like it was sagging on one side but I slept perfectly fine. Did not hear any construction noise.

UPDATE: Hotel webpage states that the room renovation will be ongoing until Nov. 2009.

Last edited by christianj; Jul 2, 2008 at 1:12 pm
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I thought the rooms were in decent shape when I stayed---well, the suites at least....I guess they are going after the W San Francisco look.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 8:14 am

Hi

Just returned from a six night stay, I had room 3112.

I was woken three mornings by drilling from the room renovations, apparently on the 20th floor. Possibly unlucky in so far as **12 are opposite the elevators and the noise seemed to transmit up the shaft. This could be a problem for any leisure traveller (like me) who does not need an early start.

Incidentally Room 3112 was in fine condition.

Steve
Old Jul 5, 2008, 4:03 am

Programs: QF Platinum One, QF LT platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite Lifetime Titanium, Accor Platinum

I'm currently staying here at the W Times Square for the period 2nd July - 6th July . My wife and I arrived in NYC late on Wednesday after 24+ hours on the road from SYD. Celebrating my wifes 40 birthday in NYC over the 4th July weekend. The W Times Square has historically been a great hotel with great service. Unfortunately I can't say the same for this visit. Checked into Room 29xx - with no upgrade offered. This room is supposedly non smoking however room and bedding had stunk of smoke. Attempted to have a rest on Thursday afternoon and was disturbed by 2-3hrs+ of drilling from the area around my room. Rang and spoke to the Duty Manager who offered for us to move rooms. I asked him to call me at 6:00pm on Thursday evening to discuss this and its now early Saturday morning and still waiting for the call.

Regardless we are still enjoying our time in NYC. We've had dinners at Carmines and Mercers Kitchen. We are off to the Buddha Bar tonight. Also we were lucky enough to watch the Red Sox vs Yankees on 4th July at Yankee Stadium. Even with a little rain it was a great game to watch... We are extremely lucky to be able to have this experience and it makes the not so good things here at the W Times Square easier to deal with.

Last edited by ChrisG; Jul 5, 2008 at 4:23 am Reason: Remove Room Number
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: OF Silver, Starwood Corporate, LH m&m, HHonors Blue.
We plan a trip to New York for October.

Do anybody know about the renovation progress at the hotel.

Which rooms are renovated now??

Where can I found pictures of a renovated room/suite??

Have anybody stayed at a renovated room??

Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:40 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, AS MVPG-75K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Silver, Nat EE
We have a trip planned from 11/1 through 11/9/09 with first 3 nights paid stay and the rest on points.

Was not aware of renovations going on until I read it here.

Would love to hear from someone who has stayed there recently.

Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2008, 2:17 am

Any recent updates on the renovations?

Any news on the renovations?
Any recent stay experiences. I am thinking of maybe spliiting my stay between Union Sq and TS coming up.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed for one night at W times Square in December- checked out and move to the Marriott Marquis which is just around the corner. I have no idea who this the target clientele of the W times Square- but it is certainly not me- I think this has to be one of the most ridiculous hotels in New York:
1. Rooms are very very dark- almost impossible to work
2. Very inconvenient two elevator system to get to your room wastes time
3. The lobby lounge resembles a very poor disco full of tourists- no way to have a meeting or discussion- and I wouldn't go there for a drink under any circumstances
4. Staff not particularly well informed about NY restaurants etc
5. Under rennovations (badly needed)
6. As others noted, sagging beds
This hotel is a total rip off, and resembles to me the original W which is also a disaster. My guess is these hotels only succeed as NY has such a shortage of hotel rooms.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Fantastic hotel!

I stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago, and I absolutely loved it! As a gold, I was upgraded to what I believe was a Spectacular room (44xx) with a fantastic view of Broadway and Times Square. The front desk had a little flyer stating that the hotel had just completed renovations. Also - FYI, the gym was being renovated so they had set up a temporary gym with three machines on the 51st floor or you could go to the Sheraton to use their gym.

Positives - Spacious room for NYC, comfortable bed, flat screen tv, rain shower head with curtain (unlike W NY), fantastic view of Broadway, comfortable reclining chair next to window with table, lighting under night stands, excellent room service (great food delivered promptly), friendly staff

Negatives - Full gym not open

I highly recommend this hotel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.