Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Munich / München, Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Munich / München, Germany [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2007, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Arrow Le Meridien Munich / München, Germany [Master Thread]

Dec 30-Jan 1, Le Meridien Munich:
In reading comments on this hotel, I expected it to be easy to find, as it's adjacent to Hauptbanhof (Munich's Central Train Station). Unfortunately, when we exited the train station from the S1 Airport Line, the exit we took deposited us fairly far from the hotel. Hauptbanhof is absolutely massive, so depending on where one exits the station, you could end up several blocks from the hotel. Exiting on the main level (where the surface Intercity train platforms are) onto Bayerstrasse will deposit you right across the street from the hotel.

The lobby area, though small, was quite modern and stylish, with a view of the nice interior courtyard area. Check-in was quick and efficient, and we were upgraded to a Junior Suite without asking. The room was on the second floor (first floor above the lobby). It was an interior corner room, looking out onto the courtyard. The Junior Suite itself was fairly spacious (I would estimate about 400-450 sq.ft.). The bathroom contained separate bath and shower, and was contemporary modern (glass shower enclosure, marble sink, wood-trimmed mirror, porcelain tub). The shower itself was rather small, and suitable for only one occupant at a time. Hermes bath products were provided.

Opposite the bathroom (to the left of the entryway) was a massive walk-in closet. The walk-in closet easily matched the size of the bathroom. There was ample room left over after we had stored our six bags in the closet.

The main portion of the room was an undivided bedroom/living area. The living area contained a sofa, chairs, 42+ inch plasma TV, work desk, and black lacquered bureau/mini-bar below the TV. The "king" bed was two singles pushed together, with separate duvets. Overall, the room was stylish and modern (had a very W feel, without being totally over-the-top). The ochre colored leopard-print carpet, though unique, will likely not age well. It shades oddly when walked over, and tends to look dirty, even though it isn't.

Our $135 EUR/night rate included breakfast, which was the best breakfast spread I've seen at any *Wood hotel (as good as Le Meridien Limassol, better than Park Tower Buenos Aires).

Jan 5-7, Le Meridien Munich:

On my second stay here, was upgraded to an "Executive Suite." Our room, No. 555, was an exterior corner room, looking out onto Hauptbahnhof/Bayerstrasse. The room was quite large (approx 650-700 sq. ft.). Upon entering, there was a long entry corridor with a toilet off to the right. The entryway opened onto a living-room with sofa, chairs, work-desk, and massive (50+ inch) Philips Plasma TV.

The living room was divided from the bedroom by a set of double-doors. The bedroom area was similar to the combined bed/living room of the Junior Suite, with couch and chair at one end, and bed at the other. The bed was an actual queen-size mattress (not two beds pushed together). However, the bedding was still two separate single duvets. The bathroom was indistinguishable from the one in the Junior Suite (perhaps slightly wider). TV in the bedroom was a 27 Inch model (non HD or Widescreen) that sat on a round pedestal containing the mini-bar. Oddly, the suite had a rather standard sized closet...a bit surprising considering the massive closet offered in the Junior Suite.

Given that the rack rate for this room (shown on a card in the closet) was 1,025 EUR/night, I was quite happy to score this upgrade for two nights on a cheapie nonrefundable 115 EUR/night rate. I booked at the LM Munich despite some reports that it was not honoring Plat Upgrades. I can certainly say I was impressed with upgrades there, and did not have to ask for them. I would imagine those that did not receive upgrades in the past were there during peak season and/or had lengthy stays. My relatively short, weekend off-season stays resulted in impressive upgrades.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 25, 2007 at 11:54 am Reason: Copied Le Meridien Munich info to this thread
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Congrats on the upgrades. Stayed there last month on points - no upgrade. Local gift was a water bottle, not very impressive so opted for the points (then realized I wouldn't get them anyway as it was an award stay). Oh well...

Also, paid 8k instead of 7k for an upgrade to the king/pushed together 2 twins and 2 comforter room. Sounds like the hotel doesn't have any queen/king comforters.

Coming out of the HBF, look for the large "Trink Coca Cola" neon sign where the regional trains board and the food court is. LM is in front of that exit. Must admit, even though I had found this exit by chance once, had a difficult time finding it again.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by devomase
I'll be staying there for a few nights this coming mid-February (and my first SPG stay since I just got to Gold). Any tips?
Can't really advise you what to expect as a Gold, as I've never stayed at this hotel as a Gold. If you go expecting the room category you booked, you'll be fine. I had a chance to glimpse the standard rooms that were being cleaned on our floor, and they looked nicely appointed. The hotel is modern, clean and comfortable. If you go expecting what you've already booked, any added bonus would be a nice surprise. If you're not already on a Le Meridien Passport rate (includes breakfast), you might consider it if the price is comparable to your present rate. The breakfast spread is very good. Without the Passport Rate, I believe it's 30 EUR per person (kinda pricey).

The actual hotel location isn't the most spectacular part of the city, but Hauptbanhof is about as convenient as it gets for transport connections across the city and region. If you haven't already been there, I'd recommend the Augustiner Dom restaurant/beer-hall. It's sandwiched roughly between the Rathaus and Dom Kirche. The S-Bahn to Marienplatz (two stops from Hauptbahnhof) will get you there. Hope you enjoy your stay. This was my first trip to Munich, and I loved it.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
One note about Le Meridien Munich: they wanted 50 euros per day to get a roll-away bed. Another note, about the Sheraton Grand: they won't allow a roll-away, even in an executive room. You gotta book junior suite or higher. Kids were more welcome at the Sheraton Westpark, but that hotel is a couple of UBahn stops from downtown.

We wound up at the Sofitel right across the street from Le Meridien, where there was no extra charge for our son, with lots of space, and a great pool.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Silver, UA Silver
re: Passport Rate

With AAA, my rate is 115 Euro/night (for me and my fiancee with King Bed in Superior non-smoking room). Although I love breakfast, she does not. Using the SPG site for booking, I tried to see if I could get a breakfast included but still get the AAA discount but did not have success. Will try calling and social engineering it (worth a shot).

ALCO -- Thanks for the recc's on the Augustiner Dom. Its been almost 15 years since I was last in Munich, so my knowledge of the city isn't up-to-date. Will definitely try the Augustiner (as the Hofbrau haus I was unimpressed with my previous trips).

Thanks again, ALCO, for the detailed info on the hotel.

- Mase
Old Jan 26, 2007, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by devomase
Will definitely try the Augustiner (as the Hofbrau haus I was unimpressed with my previous trips).
Augustiner, and their seasonal Maximator is the reason I'm doing a MR to Munich in early March. I've been to Munich 3 times previous and each visit Augustiner is my first (and repeated) stop. I hope you have a great time. Also, if you're into beer, I highly recommend "The Beer Drinker's Guide to Munich." It's about $10 on Amazon.

If you've got some time to spare, the tech museum is INCREDIBLE!

I'll be staying at the Four Points Sheraton Central (never stayed there before - got a great combination deal from United.com for flight+4 nights for a total of $850!).
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:02 am

I agree, the Le Meridien Munich is wonderful. The staff always greets me with a pleasant, "Welcome, how was your journey?" I am a gold and I have always booked a standard room at SPG.com. I am usually given an "upgraded" room, but never a suite or j.s. The rooms have always been very nice.

There is also a nice spa and pool. As with many European spa's, it is clothing optional and co-ed. Some are uncomfortable with this cultural norm, I can't complain. Very tasteful.

The other SPG properties in Munich that I enjoy are the Sheraton Grand and Sheraton Bogenhausen. While not located in the city center, very easy access via subway. Many threads on Munich properties, just search.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 5:06 am

LeMeridien Munich

LeMeridien Munich wants €315/night(deluxe room) next month, is the hotel worth it? They won't budge on the price. We started checking rates back in January and this is the lowest except for the fully prepaid rate at €235 for a standard room
Old Mar 17, 2007, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by AdaQuonsett
LeMeridien Munich wants €315/night(deluxe room) next month, is the hotel worth it? They won't budge on the price. We started checking rates back in January and this is the lowest except for the fully prepaid rate at €235 for a standard room
I like that hotel, it has a really good location next to the central rail station. but I would probably not pay 315€/night. there's probably a fair at Munich at that time. tried other hotels?
Old Mar 17, 2007, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I agree, there must be a trade fair going on so it is not an issue whether this hotel is worth 315 Euro but whether or not you will get any cheapish hotel room in Munich. I am there quite frequently. A rate of about 170 Euro is pretty normal, the best one I had was 99 incl. of breakfast. Check for your dates on www.hrs.de and you will get an overview of hotel rates that specific night (and if they have LM available with some certainty a BRG claim).
Old Mar 17, 2007, 9:12 am

Thanks. FlyingLawyer the cheap hotels start off at €95 for those nights. Arabella Sheraton is €309 for those nights. Only hotel that doesn't show up on your site is Le Meridien. Amex Centurion/Platinum Travel says Le Meridien is sold out but when you call the hotel direct or the Starwood # they still have rooms and quote a rate of €315/night deluxe room.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm going in a few weeks and there is a major medical congress going on. All the 5 star hotels are sold out, but I fortunately got a room at the LM with a corporate rate under €200.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm going in a few weeks and there is a major medical congress going on. All the 5 star hotels are sold out, but I fortunately got a room at the LM with a corporate rate under €200.
I'm looking at going to Munich in late July/early August and have narrowed my choices down to LM and the Sofitel. I've read tripadvisor, expedia, hotels and done searches here on both properties but if anyone wants to offer a recent comparison I'd love to hear it or throw a third property into the mix (or any more news on one of the Sheratons becoming a Westin? I've seen some rumor/speculation on this board)

Also, our flight arrives at 5:55 a.m. We will be in MUC for two nights. Is it worth it to book the third night for a guaranteed room or just hope to be able to get into the room around noonish on arrival day or expect nothing before 2? I'm only Preferred Plus so I have no real expectations (the funny thing is I don't need a late check out cause our departure flight is at 11 a.m.)

And finally if I look for a room Sunday-Wednesday for three nights the AAA rate is available but if I try Monday-Wednesday for two nights it's not. Any chance I might be able to get at LM MUC AAA rate for two nights or am I SOL now?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 24, 2007, 3:23 am

Great hotel

Le Meridien's a really, really lovely new hotel. As an SPG Platinum, I was upgraded to a very comfortable suite last year. The bar is a cool place to hand out, too, and the location is excellent for the city centre (by far the best of the *wood properties).
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by JonW_UK
Le Meridien's a really, really lovely new hotel. As an SPG Platinum, I was upgraded to a very comfortable suite last year. The bar is a cool place to hand out, too, and the location is excellent for the city centre (by far the best of the *wood properties).
Thank you for your reply. How is the breakfast? Is it worth getting a rate that includes the breakfast or just do room only? Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.