Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Turtle Bay Resort & Spa, Mauritius [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Turtle Bay Resort & Spa, Mauritius [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Land-of-Miles thank you very much for a world class report!

My fiance and I will spend three nights at the GM in March as the finale of our honeymoon.

I am pleased to see your favorable comparisons to the Sheraton Pattaya. I really enjoyed that property.

I will report back in March with an update on where things stand at the GM.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I received a response from the GM yesterday to my rather all embracing complaint to Starwood Corporate covering our experience at the Meridien and at the GM. I have to say that I found this disappointing defensive and rather evasive. I particularly resented almost an insinuation that I was being unreasonable.

What surprised me most was that the response from the Meridien was SO much better (in terms of style and content) if not overall conclusion.

The issue I raised with Corporate regarding our stay at the GM was essentially that a significant number of the promised facilities were not available and both the property and Starwood Corporate HAD to know this in advance of our stay. in view of the circumstances which surrounded our leaving the Merdien had I known at the time of reservation that the GM was not essentially ready for opening I would have made alternative plans (which probably would have meant cancelling the 2 day stay I had already planned at the GM and moving to the Oberoi, Le Tousserok or back to the Hilton for the final 6 nights of our stay).

I am not sure what I thought would be an appropriate response, but I had absolutely decided that additional SPG Points was not really the resolution I had in mind. The perfect solution would I think have been an apology at check out that the hotel was clearly not delivering the promised facilities and a pro-active reduction in room rate for the stay - perhaps 20 to 25%. This didn't happen then and I honestly did not expect a room rate reduction after the event. I did however think it was dishonest of the hotel to advertise a whole series of facilities which were not available and expect a guest to pay the same rate as if they were.

I hope it is clear frm my trip report that we did have a good time at the GM and we tried to make the best of things despite several things which we really wanted to use being unavailable (e.g. tennis courts, waterports facilities etc.).

The response I received was that the property felt that our invite to the Grand Opening Party (I am not quite sure what else we could have done that evening if we had not been invited, since this took over all of the restaurant and bar facilities and thus would have caused massive disruption) and a further gesture (which to the best of my knowledge was wholly unconnected with the hotel) effectively made up for being lied to in the SPG.Com property description (which given how new the property is, was the only "trusted" source of information at the time of booking). I was also told that I was informed at check in that "The spa would not be open - thus the gym would also be unavailable" and that the Brezza restaurant would also remain closed. Having just left one property we were hardly prepared to rush out of another property the minute we arrived and were greeted by this news. The other significant gaps (as detailed on Page 2) emerged only gradually during the first 2 days of our stay, by this point moving yet again was an unrealistic option. I think the tone of my early posts from the GM give a hint of my feelings at the time. I also wanted to remain upbeat so that my wife remained relatively happy and didn't become embroiled in my moaning.

Thus everything should be fine in the opinion of the GM, but nonetheless I was offered an additional 10K SPG Points over and above the 10K SPG Points I should have received as part of the opening bonus offer.

I did not think this was fine, in fact I was extremely angry after reading the response from Mrs Pronk, which is a real shame because I had every respect for her before receiving her email. I had thought that the property misdescription errors were down to Starwood marketing rather than local hotel management so I was somewhat shocked at the tone of the response and I now question my original assumption.

I declined the additional 10K points and as far as I am concerned I will leave the matter there. I am still very unhappy about the original misdescription of the property and wonder if other FT'ers perhaps think I am being unreasonable or what would be reasonable?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:39 pm

Smile adivce please?

hi I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice? I am planning on going Mauritius in July 2009 on honeymoon. We can not decide where too stay can anyone tell me which of these three hotels they would recommend
1.le touessrok ( heard it might be a little too child friendly)
2.Grand Mauritian
3.the oberoi
Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nshaw1982
hi I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice? I am planning on going Mauritius in July 2009 on honeymoon. We can not decide where too stay can anyone tell me which of these three hotels they would recommend
1.le touessrok ( heard it might be a little too child friendly)
2.Grand Mauritian
3.the oberoi
I must caveat my response by saying that I haven't visited the Oberoi which I feel has a better location (possibly slightly better than the Grand Mauritian). I would recommend Le Touessrok though. The weather on that side of the island is possibly not as good as it is on the west during the time of your intended visit.

Le Touessrok is in a completely different class from the GM I am afraid to say and the somewhat bizarre open plan bathroom room layout at the GM doesn't make for the most romantic experience either from time to time. Of the 2 properties I would recommend Le Touessrok but get a car (it looks like a long long walk to the road from the hotel).

Le Tousserok also has I believe an adults only wing so if families are your concern then that should be addressed. The setting at troux deau d'ouce is just glorious and the beaches are far nicer than those of turtle bay where the GM and Oberoi are located.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:04 am

updates?

Any recent updates to this hotel?
I'm planning a 10 nights trip on points there in Feburary. In my opinion a good option as far as it is category 5... this would be 96.000 hardly earned points.
What do you think?
Does anyone know, if they offer complimentary breakfast to plats?
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: SPG Plat, NWA Gold, PriorityClub Plat, HiltonHonors, Marriott Rewards
update on GM

Eldrick03-

I just returned from the GM, doing just as you are considering, using 96,000 miles for 10 days. HIGHLY worth the points in my opinion. (We actually got married there) Since the time of L-O-M's experience, the GM seems to have improved greatly. All facilities are open and the service is top notch. Very accommodating and helpful. It was difficult to do anything for yourself, they were so eager to please. The food is very good and the options are good. The food does get expensive, but not really all that bad considering the quality of the resort...I have paid a good bit more for a lot less at a number of lesser Starwood properties.
No breakfast included as a Plat (but it is worth the 20 Euro pp they charge). Try to take a couple of excursions while you are there (we enjoyed the Eastern Sailing Magic catamaran cruise, which the concierge can arrange).

The General Manager, Claudia Pronk greeted us within minutes of arrival. They gave us chilled, scented towels as well as a very nice welcome drink to refresh us as we arrived. The Plat upgrade was to the aforementioned Luxury Terrace Suite, which was quite nice in our opinion. It is worth ordering room service for an evening meal to let them set it up and enjoy the space. As far as the open bathroom setup, we didn't mind it. Only the sinks and bathtub are flow through into the room. The shower and toilet are each in their own rooms to the sides with doors (albeit glass ones).
There are a number of free activities as well, though the Boathouse, such as snorkeling, Kayaking, laser sailing, water skiing, etc. my two cents...it is worth taking a kayak the short distance along the coast to the right, where there is a small inlet which leads to a open slow flow river up to a waterfall. It gets fairly pristine back there. Just ask the guy in the boathouse about it.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:13 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
We plan to go Grand Mouritian if the golf course nearby are good enough.
I found two courses near the hotel, but both has only 9 holes each.
There are full 18 hole courses , either east coast or down to south.
Those courses look great, but I do not see any pictures of 9 holes courses near Grand Mauritian.

Have any one play golf near Grand Mauritian?
Old Jan 13, 2009, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tak
We plan to go Grand Mouritian if the golf course nearby are good enough.
I found two courses near the hotel, but both has only 9 holes each.
There are full 18 hole courses , either east coast or down to south.
Those courses look great, but I do not see any pictures of 9 holes courses near Grand Mauritian.

Have any one play golf near Grand Mauritian?
The nearest Golf Course to the GM is next door at the Maritim. This is I think a 9 hole course and most of the golfers there are on the all incliusive package at the Maritim. There is also a 9 hole course at troux aux biches which I think costs extra even to those who stay in the hotel.

The only 18 hole courses I am aware of on the Island are down to the south near Le Morne where there are several golf courses around Le Paradis and over to the East of the Island closer to Le Tousserok and the St Geran.

If you are serious golfer then there are probably better hotel options on Mauritius for you. The journey to the courses in the South and East of the island will take you approximately 45 minutes if you leave at the right time of day.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:53 am

Stunning hotel .
upgraded to terrace suite
havent left the grounds its so beautiful./
One MAJOR complaint. we were at the pool yesterday afternoon having a sleep and all of a sudden a BIG fogg decended all over me and a big NOISE. I though they were blowing sand from the footpath. found out when we went back to the room there was a message 45 mins before the spraying
they were spraying for mosquitoes.
I dont think that is very healthy at all.
I have complained to the desk this morn lets see how the manager replies.
Whats wrong with walking ahead and asking guests do they mind being sprayed with chemicals?
Im not impressed by the lack of care.
also asked that they look at the bath as the plug didnt work. told the room boy next day. nothing has been done. oh well have to shower only.
husband got a rash around arms belly and where the shorts stopped
update. then why the following day was the mosquito fogg man wearing a scary gas mask whilst spraying??
also I have video of the spray wafting up 3 flights and engulfing the terrace
anyone know if this stuff is dangerous to humans.
spoke to doctor on arrival home as husband still had a rash which was apparently very uncomfortable whilst travelling home.
now the doc is telling me that is a symptom of this spray.

Last edited by tinkybelle; Feb 10, 2009 at 7:02 am
Old Mar 16, 2009, 5:11 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Without a clear definition of these areas, I'm not sure how big of a deal this is, but for anyone going this month...
Beach and Reflections Pools Closed During March, 2009
The Beach and Reflections pool areas of the hotel will be temporarily closed for maintenance through the end of March, 2009. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread may be useful to anyone planning a stay at this property should the threads not become more closely linked in due course:-

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ng-my-rez.html
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sc flier
Without a clear definition of these areas, I'm not sure how big of a deal this is, but for anyone going this month...
Beach and Reflections Pools Closed During March, 2009
The Beach and Reflections pool areas of the hotel will be temporarily closed for maintenance through the end of March, 2009. Please contact the hotel for further information.
The Beach is artificial so I guess they are adding sand etc. or possibly seeking to improve it in advance of the forthcoming festivities.

There are 2 pools at the resort I cannot remember which is which, but I think the Reflections pool is the pool to the right of the property, there is another larger pool to the left of the property (where the Italian Restaurant Brezza is located). I would also presume that Reflections bar would be closed, this is the core casual lunch/pool snack spot (the only place where such food was available during our trip last year).
Old Mar 31, 2009, 3:14 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
We just returned from a 4 night stay at the GM.

Upon arrival we were greated with cold towel and a drink. Claudia greeted us and we spoke for about 5 minutes about the property and her background with SPG, very nice having the GM greet upon arrival.

We were upgraded to a Terrace Suite ocean view as a Platinum on points. Overall the room was very nice.

We were notified the reflections pool was "closed" upon arrival, however the second day the pool and restuarant opened. This pool is much more "cozy" than the main pool, but both are great.

We ate at both restaurants and thought they food was fantastic. Our preference was for the Italian restaurant.

Check out was easy and the concierge arranged for a car back to the airport.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Flyfarfar
Old Mar 31, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: Starwood Gold née Platinum; AA Plat.
Thanks for the review. Did you have any chance to compare to either the Meredien hotel, or the Hilton hotel? Meredien is a tad cheaper for my dates. Thanks.

Originally Posted by flyfarfar
We just returned from a 4 night stay at the GM.

Upon arrival we were greated with cold towel and a drink. Claudia greeted us and we spoke for about 5 minutes about the property and her background with SPG, very nice having the GM greet upon arrival.

We were upgraded to a Terrace Suite ocean view as a Platinum on points. Overall the room was very nice.

We were notified the reflections pool was "closed" upon arrival, however the second day the pool and restuarant opened. This pool is much more "cozy" than the main pool, but both are great.

We ate at both restaurants and thought they food was fantastic. Our preference was for the Italian restaurant.

Check out was easy and the concierge arranged for a car back to the airport.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Flyfarfar
Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jgold
Thanks for the review. Did you have any chance to compare to either the Meredien hotel, or the Hilton hotel? Meredien is a tad cheaper for my dates. Thanks.
Hilton > GM > Meridien. I stayed at all 3 properties (albeit only briefly at the Meridien) last year on the same trip. Admittedly I had some issues but I think the above order is fair. The Hilton rooms were simply better designed and much more practical. Having a real suite with a living room and a bedroom and adequate dining terrace is much more practical IMHO than just a very large terrace (terrace suite) from what is really just a regular room.

The Hilton offered better dining options and more reasonable and consistent pricing (with similar if not better quality options for food and drink). The GM and Meridien are more convenient for Grande Baie and arguably more convenient for Port Louis. The Hilton is more convenient for Tamarin (dolphin watching) and Le Morne (Golf). Both properties are a similar drive (in time taken) from the airport but the GM and Meridien have an easier route. The Hilton has a proper beach with a wide range of watersports options from the dock located at the hotel, the GM does not (or didn't during my visit). The physical nature of the "beach" and turtle bay (boulder strewn) would make hotel based watersports activities "challenging". The GM did have a better gym than the Hilton. The Hilton has a fairly decent if small range of local shops and some dining options within easy cycling, moderate walking or short taxi distance, the GM and Meridien do not.

If I was travelling to MRU (especially for the first time) and wanted a reliable property I would choose the Hilton YMMV.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Mar 31, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.