Sheraton Brussels pre 2008 [Master Thread]

Old May 10, 2002, 1:06 pm

I normally don't post "me, too" but I stayed there a few months ago for the first time in over a decade, and was very impressed!

As a Gold, I received a nice corner room (even though my status had somehow not come through with the reservation - I was upgraded at the front desk). The area is, as was said, formerly seedy but now being renovated, and an easy (and pleasant) walk to the Grand Place.

On the way, if you know where you need to turn left (ask at the desk), you can turn off about a block and see a memorial to their war for independence less than 200 years ago. Sadly, the memorial has fallen into disrepair; I hope that is corrected soon.

And you chocolate fiends, forget the Neuhauser and the Godiva - go to the little park between the Royal Museum and the Palace of Justice (on the right as you go toward the Palace of Justice) and check out the Wittimer shop. MMMmmmmmm!
Old Jul 22, 2002, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
help understanding Sheraton Brussels rate plan please

First a big Hi to all as this is my first post in the Starwood area. I am a new starwood member and have just reached gold so this will be my first gold stay.

I am going to Brussels this weekend and having read past posts i notice that the Sheraton isnt very good at honoring all the perks of the selected rate.

Here is the rate from the web:

Rate plan description
Buffet Breakfast,A 25 Eur Credit For F&B Charges In Hotel Per Room Per Stay, 5Pm Late C/Out. Free Use Of Horizon Pool & Fitnessclub. 100 % Non Refundable Deposit Reqd At Check In

So as read it I get free buffet breakfast AND 25 euros for food and beverage charges (mini bar, room service, bar, restaurant etc). Am I reading that correctly? The 25 euros isnt for the buffet is it?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 1:29 am
Original Poster

I experienced this recently. It's €150 for a double room, BB included and on top a €25 credit for other F/B. Was very nice stay!
Old Jul 23, 2002, 2:36 am

I had no problems with that rate, too, and I even had nice weather in Brussels for my weekend.

Ask for a kingsize room on the 14th or 15th floor. They are the nicest IMHO and I even prefer them to the Executive rooms.

Have a nice weekend and don't forget to buy Neuhaus chocolates!

Morgan, post your experiences after your stay; I'm curious!

[This message has been edited by cruising (edited 07-24-2002).]
Old Jul 27, 2002, 9:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cruising:
Have a nice weekend and don't forget to buy Neuhaus chocolates!
</font>
Those of us who know Brussels know that Wittamer chocolates (also made in Brussels) are even better than Neuhaus (at least in many people's opinion).
Old Jul 27, 2002, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Print the page that shows your rate plan. The hotel is very decent but is notorious for telling you the breakfast isn't included in the rate. When they see it in print, the issue is over.
Old Jul 27, 2002, 1:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Counsellor:
Those of us who know Brussels know that Wittamer chocolates (also made in Brussels) are even better than Neuhaus...</font>

Check your facts, Counsellor. While the prepackaged Neuhaus are nothing special, the ones you get at Neuhaus shops like the (especially the Manons, with the fresh cream inside and the praline on top). Besides, it's hard to find a nicer setting for a chocolate shop than the Galerie de la Reine, near the Ilot Sacre (the place that's choc-a-bloc full of restaurants).
Old Jul 28, 2002, 4:09 am

We may simply have to agree to disagree on that issue (although running taste-tests is always fun ).

I'll give you that the "square" down from the Palace of Justice isn't as scenic as the Galerie de la Reine, but there is a nice park nearby (the one with the guild statues surrounding it), and the royal art museum is also just up the block.
Old Jul 28, 2002, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A trip to Brussels is not complete without a trip to Wittamer on the Grand Sablon. Enough Said, end of discussion, topic closed.
Old Jul 28, 2002, 7:31 am

Very well. I agree that any visitor to that other town so nice they named it twice (Bruxelles, Brussel) is required to go to both shops, esp. if one manages to find a route between the two that includes a brief stop for a waffle-to-go at the Vigaufra stand.
Old Jul 29, 2002, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Thanks for all your tips! Here are my impressions from my stay.

I had booked a king room online and it showed confirmed till the day before my arrival when it changed to a double. I arrived for check in around 10 pm and was immediately greeted at the starwood preferred counter. I was checked in promptly and handed my room key on the 12th floor. I asked what type of bed it was and Mr. Y checking me in stated it was a double. I asked if it would be possible to have a king, as there were two of us. He stared at the screen for a moment and then requested assistance from Ms X. Ms X replied, “Well if there aren’t any there aren’t any… I can’t do anything about that”. She then came over to the computer directly in front of me and said to Mr. Y “ Look he is gold you can give him a club room, you can do that if he is gold. (Points to the screen) Just give him this room.” Ms X proceeds to type for a moment and I assume she is assigning a new room to me.

Suddenly Ms Z comes dashing over and asks Ms X “What are you doing?!”

Ms X “I am giving him a club room”

Ms Z “You can’t do that!” “You aren’t supposed to do that”. “Those are only for PLAAAA-TIIIIIII-NUMMMMMMM.” “Give him 1408, its not a club and has a king”.

Ms. X types a bit more and then gives the keys to Mr. Y and walks away. As Ms X walks away she says to Ms. Z “You are working my nerves! If there is a club empty I don’t see what the big deal is”.

I was really a bit shocked that this entire conversation was carried out under my nose. There were 3 desk agents in front of me and the two ladies that came to assist never once addressed me. I also found it rather unprofessional. I understand the rules of SPG and never expected a club room and didn’t ask for one. I feel that once all that conversation about giving me a club room had been held in front of me I should have been given one. If Ms Z had a concern about the room assignment, that should have been addressed after I had left. I feel that Ms Z was totally out of line. The only thing I can think of is that she thought I did not understand what was being said as the entire conversation was in French.

Here are my impressions of the hotel itself. Place Rogier is not of great interest and the area around the hotel is rather bland. It is convenient to the Grand Place and to the St Catherine area where there are some good restaurants. The lobby of the hotel was only partially renovated giving it an odd mix of 70s and 90s. The elevators were spacious and rapid. We never had to wait very long at all for an elevator.

The room itself was very large. It had a king bed, two upholstered chairs, a small coffee table, and a desk. There was a large picture window at the end of the room with a decent view. The furnishings are not my style. A bit bland. I prefer the more modern feel of the W chain. The bed was comfortable but the sheets and towels were only adequate. The bathroom was spacious but was not completely remodeled. The faucets had been changed but the marble counter top was old, worn and stained. The tile on the floor in the bathroom was also original and a bit dated. The shower was excellent. There was an incredible amount of water pressure, unlimited hot water, no variations in temperature and a nice showerhead. On the whole the room was fine. If you like lots of space, a large bed and a view you will really enjoy it.

Breakfast buffet was included in price of the room. It was quite good with a both European and British/American choices available. The waffles were excellent.

On my second day I requested a late checkout and was granted one promptly. However when I came back to the room in the afternoon I was locked out and had to get my key reactivated.

When it came time to checkout I had another little surprise. The rate stayed that the room included 25 euros of Food and Beverage charges for the stay. I took food and beverage to mean just that and helped myself to 25 euros of minibar items. I was informed at the desk that the mini bar was not included in the food and beverage credit. Only the bar and restaurant was covered under that offer. She said that it should have been explained to me when I checked in. I informed her that it was not. She said that she couldn’t do anything about it. I said I would have never used the mini bar had I known that I would be charged. She then offered to split the cost with me. She was very polite the entire time. I agreed to the split because I was tired of haggling. She gave me the credit and again apologized for the confusion. I feel that the language in the rate is very misleading and that it needs to be changed.

On the whole my experience was underwhelming. The room was fine but I felt that for 150 euros a night the service was too unprofessional. I had originally reserved at the Sofitel for 119 euros breakfast included and was lured to the Sheraton by the points offer. I have to say based on the service I regret making that decision.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Arrow Sheraton Brussels [Master Thread]

I have two reservations for this Hotel. One
at 102 Euro per night and the other at I
believe 153 Euro per night. The later is
for a confirmed room on Club. I am a
Platinum member. What should I do? What can
I expect as a P? Is Club worth 51 more Euros
per night? I have found usually not? Please
advise.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
A couple of years back, when I was only a Gold, I was upgraded to a large suite here. The lounge is ok, but be aware beverages are not complimentary-- (Probably one of the only Starwoods in Europe to charge for beer & wine). It is not really centrally located and you have to walk through a major shopping center to get to the Grande Place or take the metro (Place Rogier). You are close to the airport train stop at the Gare Nord and there is a Hilton next door, but other than that not much around.
As Platinum, you should be automatically upgraded to Club floor (so don't pay extra for it). This 'Towers' isn't one of the special Butler Floor- Towers as in London or Hong Kong, where Towers are a separate part of the hotel.

[This message has been edited by mauld (edited 08-26-2002).]
Old Aug 26, 2002, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have stayed there twice. Once prior to SPG, once as an SPG plat. A perfectly fine hotel. The location is "much improved" in that the "red light" storefronts nearby are long gone. Its still not the "ideal location" for things right there, but its fine enough.

When I last was there and went to check in, I was instructed that I was in the wrong place, because as a platinum, I should go right up to the tower reception . The only real caveat for this property, as I experienced and I have also read several times on FT is that if your rate includes breakfast, make sure you have a printout of this term for your arrival.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 3:26 pm

I will be staying in the Brussels Sheraton tomorrow for 2 nights. I just checked my reservation online and it looks like I've been upgraded in advance. I booked a normal room and the website now shows it as a spacious suite.

Hopefully it hold true until I check in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.