FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   GONE : Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left SPG 1 Apr 2015 [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/820229-gone-hotel-pulitzer-amsterdam-netherlands-left-spg-1-apr-2015-master-thread.html)

JFKSFOLAX_friend Mar 30, 2010 11:41 am

Originally Posted by LemonThrower (Post 13677152)
you have to insert your room key to get the lights and air conditionioning on

Isn't that the case in most nice European hotels? Though it's been years since I've stayed there, I thought I had to do the same at the St. Regis Rome. Just guessing...

fireworksboy Mar 30, 2010 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend (Post 13677805)
Isn't that the case in most nice European hotels? Though it's been years since I've stayed there, I thought I had to do the same at the St. Regis Rome. Just guessing...

It was standard for me in Zurich, Amsterdam, Dublin......

stimpy Mar 30, 2010 5:07 pm

It is a Euro thing and it certainly helps the environment, however due to American complaints, many hotels are moving away from this.

Personally I like the hotels that do this BUT do not affect the power to the desk where my laptop is plugged in. Please turn off all other power when I leave the room, but let my laptop stay charged. Some hotels respect this in Europe, some don't.

jerseygirl Mar 30, 2010 5:18 pm

Think this is a great idea for stopping waste of electricity. I was in a Barcelona hotel that had an escalator that only turned on when someone stepped on a stair

if you need to keep power on for your laptop just ask for 2 keys - keep one in the 'power' slot when you leave

stimpy Mar 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by jerseygirl (Post 13679989)
Think this is a great idea for stopping waste of electricity. I was in a Barcelona hotel that had an escalator that only turned on when someone stepped on a stair

if you need to keep power on for your laptop just ask for 2 keys - keep one in the 'power' slot when you leave

Most all escalators in Europe are like this.

And you can use a credit card or an old hotel key as a 2nd key when needed. But thankfully not all hotels require this. They are hip to PC charging these days and keep the power to the desk and many hotels.

kevinsac Mar 30, 2010 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney (Post 13567674)
Thank you! The Pulitzer just went from my SPG hotels to "avoid" list to "give another try" list. ^

Funny that we all have different standards. I now have stayed at the Pulitzer 5 or 6 times, and always look forward to my return! ^

777 global mile hound Mar 30, 2010 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by kevinsac (Post 13680264)
Funny that we all have different standards. I now have stayed at the Pulitzer 5 or 6 times, and always look forward to my return! ^

Some folks like modern standards with good ventilation speedy elevators
bright lighting in guest rooms and work areas,high volume ice machines and pillow top beds as just some examples.How about privacy shades,or consistent heating in winter?

For years the Pulitzer didn't have these amenities and perhaps still doesn't in some cases.
The hotel also had no fitness equiptment/gym for many years.Worse no fitness partner when guests needed a referral
This hotel has taken over ten years of improvements to get where it is today it really depends on ones history here and when they took their stays as to their viewpoint

My first stay in the summer of the mid to late 90s had the greatest team ever on property but tired rooms in a heat wave with no air conditioning in many of the rooms.Though they promised canal breezes would keep the rooms and the building cool it was highly wishful thinking to be polite.

The hotel has come along way since those days and apparently the management here was realizing that other area hotels had been siphoning off business from potential customers by simply offering free breakfast to frequent stay guests.As rates increased dramatically through the years at the Pulitzer and much nickle and diming appeared to be the order of the day
I started seeking out other area properties and as a result other programs
At the end of the day the damage is more to SPGs business as a result then to the given hotel regionally.As a result of the recent SPG changes with wifi internet for Plats for example Starwood will get more revenue stays and at higher rates then what previously would have gone mostly to Hyatt.

The nearby Swissotel in Amsterdam took in over 20k in Euros over the years from my business and my colleagues by doing something as simple as consistent suite upgrades,free business center and a very nice complimentary buffett breakfast as a Swiss Gold Cardholder an invited membership tier.
It is vital for hotels to remain up to date in quality standards even if a historically significant property like the Pulitzer.
A compelling group of amenities helps to secure loyalty.Any time a member chooses another program and another brand because the program or the brand standard doesn't meet expectations it is that much harder to win the business back....
I am hoping the Pulitzer can be back on the radar anytime in AMS
So far it sounds like they are

LemonThrower Apr 1, 2010 3:11 am

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend (Post 13677805)

it may be in amsterdam, but by no means is the case in most european hotels let alone the luxury ones.

anyway, i get the boutique-ish charm of the place versus cookie cutter convenience, but it executed inconsistently in my opinion and the overall result is something less than westin-level. i'd stay at the property again if the price was right. 8000 is about right, not 12,000.

cesco.g Apr 1, 2010 6:57 pm

How suitable is the Pulitzer for a family stay: Parents & 2 kids?

stimpy Apr 1, 2010 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 13694330)

The hotel and location are fine for a family. As for the room, there are so many different types. If you reserve a suite you should be happy. But if you go for the cheapest room you may be miserable.

Astrophsx Apr 1, 2010 9:48 pm

Anyone else staying here around June 9-11th?

LemonThrower Apr 2, 2010 4:19 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 13694330)

will probably need 2 rooms. i sent an email to the property and still havent heard what sort of rooms they have to accomodate a family. neighborhood is mostly fine for kids but make sure you know where the adult district is - its not far but there is plenty to explore in amsterdam anyway. best plan is to get a hop on hop off boat ticket and explore the area near the museums which are more tailored to kids. as for the hotel, i think they can accommodate your family but i got a cool vibe from them. my young son thought the wierd ceilings (coffered, some attic-type rooms) were cool.

its definitely a charming hotel but a notch below westin on the luxury scale.

GMAmsterdam Apr 2, 2010 5:14 am

Originally Posted by LemonThrower (Post 13696012)
will probably need 2 rooms. i sent an email to the property and still havent heard what sort of rooms they have to accomodate a family. neighborhood is mostly fine for kids but make sure you know where the adult district is - its not far but there is plenty to explore in amsterdam anyway. best plan is to get a hop on hop off boat ticket and explore the area near the museums which are more tailored to kids. as for the hotel, i think they can accommodate your family but i got a cool vibe from them. my young son thought the wierd ceilings (coffered, some attic-type rooms) were cool.

its definitely a charming hotel but a notch below westin on the luxury scale.

We have family rooms available at the Pulitzer which accommodate four persons. If you put "4 persons" in your reservation request on starwoodhotels.com the family rooms will show (if available of course)

Kurt Renold
Area Manager The Netherlands

PS: Do not forget to reserve the tickets for the Anne Frank House in advance on the internet if you want to visit it with your kids (its only 300 m from the Pulitzer). If you do so you do not have to stand in line, and the lines can get pretty long in season!

LemonThrower Apr 2, 2010 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by GMAmsterdam (Post 13696105)
We have family rooms available at the Pulitzer which accommodate four persons. If you put "4 persons" in your reservation request on starwoodhotels.com the family rooms will show (if available of course)

when i did that, all i saw is 2 single beds or 1 king. that's why i emailed the property, but never got a response.

is there a better email address to contact the property than the one listed on the SPG website?

as for Anne Frank, the advice earlier on this thread to go later in the evening was very wise. even if you have a timed ticket, the museum is obviously quite small and it will be much more pleasant later in the day.

soitgoes Apr 2, 2010 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by LemonThrower (Post 13698443)
when i did that, all i saw is 2 single beds or 1 king. that's why i emailed the property, but never got a response.

The Family duplex comes up for paid bookings when indicating four guests. I don't think it is a "standard room", so if you are trying to book an award, you would need to call SPG to see if it is available at the award rate for specialty, specialty select, or suite award nights (at a higher cost).

Room Description
Charming Spacious Luxurious Family Room With A Unique Amster Dam Character Suitable For 2 Adults And 2 Children
Room Amenities
Family Duplex Room Non-smoking , Full Brkfst In Restaurant Only , Luxury Pillowtop Bed , Wi-fi Internet For A Fee , Two Story