FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   GONE : Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left SPG 1 Apr 2015 [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/820229-gone-hotel-pulitzer-amsterdam-netherlands-left-spg-1-apr-2015-master-thread.html)

TRAVELBABE Aug 24, 2009 8:18 am

Originally Posted by cbrown5294 (Post 12271998)
I am going to have rental car for my 2 night stay and was told hotel parking is 55 Euro/night!
Any closeby parking ideas?

We were there in 2006, and there is tons of street parking even right outside the doors of the hotel. I believe that there is a time limit of 24 hours, and we had to use cash to buy a parking ticket from a machine to display on the dash. The downside is that you will have to move your vehicle each day, but we never had trouble finding a nearby spot. I believe the rate was around 15 euro/day.

FD1971 Aug 24, 2009 9:40 am

Originally Posted by cbrown5294 (Post 12271998)
I am going to have rental car for my 2 night stay and was told hotel parking is 55 Euro/night!
Any closeby parking ideas?

Yes, but they are limited to a couple of hours, maybe more on weekends, at Euro ~ 6.00 per hour...

Amsterdam still believes that cars should not be part of the city and they are charging accordingly, fortunately the wheel clamps are mostly gone.

I suggest you park your car at one of the numerous park & rail transfer stations around the city at significantly lower rates, hop on a train and/or cap and do not risk to ruin your vacation looking for parking spots. You can also park 2-3 km form the main city centre, more spaces, but mostly severely restricted, due to cleaning and local residents. The big garages will charge from Euro 40 upwards per 24 hours, mostly without in and put priv., but you do not need a car in Amsterdam at all.

Aside from that, if you come from Berlin and continue to Frankfurt, stick to the speed limits in The Netherlands, 10 km/h too fast and you already easily playing in the Euro 60-90 fee league and they are not kidding and keep your data...

Dcislander Aug 25, 2009 8:50 am

Considering A stay at the Pulitzer

Hey all,
Quick question about the Pulitzer and hoping to get any advise folks can offer. I am headed to AMS for 4 nights and want to book on points. I am SPG Gold, so not sure what that'll get me in terms of upgrade (esp on a free night)--usually Gold gets you a smile and a handshake anyway. I am also Marriott Gold which has much more value--upgrade and exec floor access. I like the idea of Pulitzer, but it looks like it is VERY hit or miss with the room you get. Anyone have any experience trying to upgrade a free room with Gold status? Would Marriott be the better route? Thanks all.

thepointsguy Aug 25, 2009 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Dcislander (Post 12279640)
Hey all,
Quick question about the Pulitzer and hoping to get any advise folks can offer. I am headed to AMS for 4 nights and want to book on points. I am SPG Gold, so not sure what that'll get me in terms of upgrade (esp on a free night)--usually Gold gets you a smile and a handshake anyway. I am also Marriott Gold which has much more value--upgrade and exec floor access. I like the idea of Pulitzer, but it looks like it is VERY hit or miss with the room you get. Anyone have any experience trying to upgrade a free room with Gold status? Would Marriott be the better route? Thanks all.

I went there in January and they emailed me in advance offering to upgrade to a Canal view room for 50 euros. I declined, because as a Plat I ended up getting it for free. If you don't get upgraded at checkin, I'd ask about buy-up options.

Or you could always call the property in advance to secure an upgrade so you aren't disappointed. As a Gold, you should always expect to get the room that you book.

Dcislander Aug 25, 2009 9:18 am

Agreed, other than point bonuses Gold has little to offer. Marriott Gold though is almost like SPG Platinum--guaranteed lounge access and upgrade to best avail room. Maybe I should suck it up and just go Marriott and stay at the Pulitzer once we have some more juice. Do not want to risk getting that ground floor interior room next to the maintenance closet.

Shantanu Aug 25, 2009 9:22 am

Hey all,

I have no idea about the Marriott. As far as the Pulitzer is concerned, I would say a lot depends upon the time of year of your visit, and whether or not it includes a Friday or Saturday night, when they are often full. When do you plan to go? Do you intend to be there during the weekend?

ant_west Aug 25, 2009 9:46 am

Hey all,

If we are talking about the Marriott near Leidseplein then it is the blueprint for an ugly modern chain hotel - even the pictures on the Marriott website depress me. No idea what the rooms are actually like inside (:D) but the outside just puts me off! Compare to the Pulitzer where staying there is part of the charm of visiting Amsterdam. There is a slim chance you get a small room but you can always ask if another is available (95% of the rooms are great) - I've stayed there about 20 times this year and each room is individual and different (and no matter what the size I've found them all characterful). Service at the Pulitzer can sometimes be a little variable but if you do encounter any issues then just ask to have a word with the GM, Patrick - he's always keen for feedback and is pretty good at getting things fixed pdq!

Dcislander Aug 25, 2009 9:51 am

We will be visiting for 4 nights in late September (a Friday-Tuesday). I have stayed in the Marriott before--great location, good amenities with large well equipped rooms, but it is indeed a big modern hotel with little charm. They do dangle the free breakfast out there though--and these days these Euros add up fast.

Dcislander Aug 25, 2009 10:07 am

Ant_West, do you know Patrick's email address by any chance? Would be great to get in touch with him prior to traveling. Thanks for your help.

Shantanu Aug 25, 2009 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Dcislander (Post 12279967)
We will be visiting for 4 nights in late September (a Friday-Tuesday). I have stayed in the Marriott before--great location, good amenities with large well equipped rooms, but it is indeed a big modern hotel with little charm. They do dangle the free breakfast out there though--and these days these Euros add up fast.

As you'll be arriving on a Friday, in a busy month, I would say the chance of a substantial upgrade for a Gold is pretty poor. And having stayed there numerous times, I would feel you would end up with a small room, however, as ant_west has said, it's a lovely hotel with charming rooms.

If you were a Plat, I would say take your chances. They like to give Golds rooms with nice views, but not a bigger room. If it's an issue, I would definitely take the upgrade they would offer you in advance for the small extra fee; about 50Euros or so. Or, email in advance and ask about using points, if that is an option to you.

I would definitely stay at the Pulitzer though if I were you. It's lovely. Changes the whole Amsterdam experience.

ant_west Aug 25, 2009 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Dcislander (Post 12280056)
Ant_West, do you know Patrick's email address by any chance? Would be great to get in touch with him prior to traveling. Thanks for your help.

you've got mail!

Dcislander Aug 27, 2009 2:12 am

Hello and thanks again for your help and advise. One last quick question if you do not mind. I booked a room at the Pulitzer with points (48k points for 4 nts--could not get the day off for the 5th night free unfortunately for us). The room is a King Deluxe. The folks on the gold line went out of their way to say it was not a standard room. They did say that there could be a day-of upgrade to a canal view if avail.

Here's the question. Having been there before, do you think it is still worth it to email the manager and ask about upgrading to a canal or executive room? Some FT posters have talked about receiving an email upgrade offer for 50E, but not sure if that would come through or not. Not sure if any of these points would help my cause: SOG Gold, Wife's Birthday, not taking the 5th night free because of work.

I know that nothing good comes completely free, but you sure can try.

Appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks again.

thepointsguy Aug 27, 2009 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Dcislander (Post 12289759)
Hello and thanks again for your help and advise. One last quick question if you do not mind. I booked a room at the Pulitzer with points (48k points for 4 nts--could not get the day off for the 5th night free unfortunately for us). The room is a King Deluxe. The folks on the gold line went out of their way to say it was not a standard room. They did say that there could be a day-of upgrade to a canal view if avail.

Here's the question. Having been there before, do you think it is still worth it to email the manager and ask about upgrading to a canal or executive room? Some FT posters have talked about receiving an email upgrade offer for 50E, but not sure if that would come through or not. Not sure if any of these points would help my cause: SOG Gold, Wife's Birthday, not taking the 5th night free because of work.

I know that nothing good comes completely free, but you sure can try.

Appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks again.

Never hurts to ask IMO. Let us know what they say :)

avja Aug 27, 2009 9:58 am

Slightly off topic

Originally Posted by Dcislander (Post 12289759)
I booked a room at the Pulitzer with points (48k points for 4 nts--could not get the day off for the 5th night free unfortunately for us).

Have you considered booking using cash and points -19200 points + $360? The $360 saves you 28,800 points to be used on another stay. By using points only, you're valuing a point at only 1.25 cents.

Dcislander Aug 31, 2009 6:45 am

Avja, I looked into cash+pts, but it was not offered (according to the SPG website) for the dates I was looking for. Bummer.