Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

W opera or Westin Vendome for five nights in June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.

Well-traveled, but haven't yet been to Paris. Thanks to a good BA deal, we are going....We don't typically do too much touristy stuff, but we're going to be in Paris, so will definitely do the highlights in addition to wandering the streets and sitting at cafés.

Prices are about the same whether we're using cash or points. €660(!) or 16,000 points a night (buy four nights get fifth free)... Is one hotel vastly better than the other? Location? View? Service? The LM is off the table based on reviews I've read here, and it just seems like the W opera would be better. Thoughts?

Mr. kk wants me to confirm with someone who's stayed recently that it's a full breakfast buffet, not just continental for €38 (free for platinum members). Im just looking forward to pain au chocolate from a boulangerie! Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We stayed at the Westin two years ago, and I highly recommend it. It's a better location and a better hotel in general. But in the interest of full disclosure, if you read the forum enough, you know how biased I am against the W brand, so take this recommendation with that in mind.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
At w paris, it's full buffet breakfast.

But nothing to write home about. just an average breakfast, not too many options. Service was not as good as the 1st time i stayed there.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
In on the same deal and also doing bookend nights in Paris at the start & end of our trip, doing one at each location.

Westin location maybe a hair better, but W also has the benefit of being right next to the Roissybus stop (direct bus to the airport).

Westin has underwhelmed me the past couple times I've been there - no upgrades, so-so service, breakfast is a zoo. I'm excited to try the W myself.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:01 am

Spent 5 nights at the Westin Vendome last month. Plats get full buffet breakfast at Le First, which is extensive, with plenty of hot offerings, cold cuts (including salmon), and, my favorite, a nice spread of pastries, breads, jams, etc. Great variety of coffees also.

Did not stay at the W Opera, although walked by it a couple of times, but for doing the Paris sights, the Westin's location is unbeatable. I loved looking out my window (with a small balcony) with a view of the Louvre, Jardin des Tuileries, Musee D'Orsay and the Eiffel Tower. Quite spectacular, actually.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
W Opera is much smaller and more like a boutique hotel whre the staff are friendly and will recognize you within the first day. Westin is much larger, more old world elegant (all the hotels in the Vendome area are old renovated buildings) and not as intimate. Even though I am not a fan of W concept on general, W Opera is nice, especially now that it's Cat 6 and not 7.

It's been quite a few years since I stayed at the Westin. If you do not get upgraded to a room with view, then you get no view. Upgraded rooms at W get a view of l'Opera. Locations of Westin is definitely superior. But location of W is not bad either. W is ~10 minute walk from Westin, and the Roissy bus stop makes it much cheaper to travel to/from CDG.

Either hotel will be a good experience. You can't go wrong whatever you decide on.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
I stayed at the W Opera a few days ago and would highly recommend it. It is one of the best W I have ever stayed in, has all the things that are great about a W, and nine of those features that can sometimes be annoying. Very nice boutique feel, lovely rooms, great location, great transport links. Would highly recommend it.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by silvergirl
and nine of those features that can sometimes be annoying.
Which nine?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Which nine?
Typo sorry, I meant 'none'
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by Okto

Did not stay at the W Opera, although walked by it a couple of times, but for doing the Paris sights, the Westin's location is unbeatable. I loved looking out my window (with a small balcony) with a view of the Louvre, Jardin des Tuileries, Musee D'Orsay and the Eiffel Tower. Quite spectacular, actually.
Same experience. I was upgraded to a large suite and had booked with points. Spectacular - truly spectacular -vue at night time from the living room.
Breakfast is good, but the one at the Park Hyatt Vendome is VERY impressive - my best buffet breakfast to date.

Note: Place Vendome is at a short walking distance from the Opera.

Last edited by UASPG; Apr 19, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.