FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   GONE : Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left SPG 1 Apr 2015 [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/820229-gone-hotel-pulitzer-amsterdam-netherlands-left-spg-1-apr-2015-master-thread.html)

Flying Buccaneer Mar 24, 2009 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by SportsTech (Post 11469381)
I've stayed in this hotel 4 times as a plat and have never been as fortunate as the OP or other posters in this thread. No "bad" stays, but nothing special either: small rooms, small bathrooms, indifferent service (not bad, just indifferent). I keep hoping that the next time I stay will be different, because I enjoy small quirky hotels (the Goldener Hirsch was outstanding) but so far haven't seen performances from the Pulitzer to match others in this thread.

Ditto. I was beginning to think it was just me. I think it's safe to say that none of the praise is coming from anyone who got stuck in Room 134 or any of the other rooms on the hallway that leads to the maintenance area.

ArcticShark Apr 21, 2009 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer (Post 11469730)
Ditto. I was beginning to think it was just me. I think it's safe to say that none of the praise is coming from anyone who got stuck in Room 134 or any of the other rooms on the hallway that leads to the maintenance area.

My thoughts exactly. This being a LC-property I was underwhelmed, small room and poor insulation. The breakfast was quite simple for the price, nowhere did I get any special "feeling". Too bad, on the same trip I stayed at the airport Sheraton, which was more to what I was expecting (from an airport Sheraton of course).

I filled in the customer survey truthfully, but didn't complain in anyway apart from that since there was nothing wrong with the stay just left hoping for more. Going back next week to Amsterdam but this time I decided to go to a different hotel, unfortunately not even SPG-property.

HomerJ Apr 21, 2009 10:53 am

I hate to say this but this is a property where you have to be pushy...

...I've stayed here 4 times and on two occasions were given the types of small rooms discussed above...or my upgrade was canal view (ya right). Anyways I just said No the room wasn't satisfactory. On one oocasion I got u/g'd to the two level loft suite, and on my last visit the u/g wasn't a suite but it was a very large room with a sitting area/couch and I think it was because of length of stay (5 nights) that i didnt get suited. Just voice your displeasure and let them know you have stayed at the property before in a better room, and unless the place is sold out, I'm sure you will get a better room.
I agree about the b'fast buffet a definite ripoff, but theres lots of b'fast places close by.

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Apr 21, 2009 11:01 am

I had a recent stay here, which was fine, but nothing spectacular. I received one of the king-bed rooms with a loft on the top floor, with a very comfortable bed. That being said, the A/C didn't work especially well in that room, and it got a bit muggy in there during the stay. The furnishings and interior were all very tasteful, but I didn't walk away from this property stunned. The SPG property in The Netherlands that consistently impresses me, and (IMO) is far superior to Hotel Pulitzer is the Hotel Des Indes in Den Haag.

I have posted a photo review of the Hotel Des Indes in its thread, which details the various types of rooms that are typically offered to Plats (loft and corner junior suites). Considering that Den Haag is only a brief train ride from Amsterdam, and that I generally prefer Den Haag to Amsterdam (more laid back, better Indonesian food, and it has a very nice beach at Scheveningen), my stays in The Netherlands will continue to be had at Hotel Des Indes. I find it rather amusing that Hotel Pulitzer consistently charges double the rate of Des Indes, whilst offering a clearly inferior product in comparison.

stimpy Apr 21, 2009 11:08 am

Yes, the Hotel Des Indes is also a Luxury Collection hotel in the same country, but is a vastly better hotel. Yet Amsterdam gets the tourists and thus the higher prices.

After spending over 100 hotel nights over the last few years in Amsterdam, I decided to get an apartment there. There are some nice hotels, especially the Amstel, but having your own apartment is soooooooo much nicer.

NewMexFlyer Apr 25, 2009 11:59 am

Stayed here April 1-3, 2 rooms on points. I was upgraded to a jr suite, with a living room on the canal, with the writers nook up a ladder, and a bedroom on the inner courtyard, #388, which we found perfect, quite BR and open windows on the canal. My friens were given an interior ground floor room that had a large window enabling the smoker to climb into the courtyard where smoking is allowed.
Great location and a top notch stay. Only downside was self parking several blocks away (in the multi-story parking garage) at about 40 euros a day, but hey this is Amsterdam.

CaseyN2 Apr 25, 2009 2:25 pm

Pulitzer maze.

Stayed there last week, amazing the number of twists and turns, up and down litte stairways a had to make to get to 256. thought of leaving same bread crumps as a trail. Very expensive breakfast.

Shantanu Apr 26, 2009 10:07 am

On the last stay, they told me at check-in: we have a platinum upgrade for you to a room with a view. Great, I thought.

The room was smaller than the usual ones we've had here, and we had a view of the........courtyard!

However, the location and the staff make up for it. Agree about the breakfast rip-off. We just usually cycle up the road to one of the local cafes. But having to get the car valet parked to some place 45 minutes away, and then waiting 3 hours to get it back on our departure......not so great! But we will always stay here.

Thunderroad May 19, 2009 11:41 pm

Train or taxi to the Pulitzer

Will be arriving at Schipol mid-day on a Friday and am wondering whether to take a train or a taxi to the Pulitzer:

1. Is there a train stop right near the hotel? If so, what stop is it and how far is it from the hotel?
2. Any estimates of how much a taxi would cost and how much a train ticket would cost?

Thanks for any advice.

stimpy May 19, 2009 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad (Post 11776634)
Will be arriving at Schipol mid-day on a Friday and am wondering whether to take a train or a taxi to the Pulitzer:

1. Is there a train stop right near the hotel? If so, what stop is it and how far is it from the hotel?
2. Any estimates of how much a taxi would cost and how much a train ticket would cost?

A taxi is best of course, but will cost maybe €50. I usually take the train to central station then a tram which drops you about 70 meters from the hotel door. Go to http://ns.nl for train prices as I can't recall the price. It's just a few bucks.

If you have a lot of baggage, you should probably bite the bullet and take a taxi.

RDY3238 May 20, 2009 12:13 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 11776669)
A taxi is best of course, but will cost maybe €50. I usually take the train to central station then a tram which drops you about 70 meters from the hotel door. Go to http://ns.nl for train prices as I can't recall the price. It's just a few bucks.

If you have a lot of baggage, you should probably bite the bullet and take a taxi.

I am there right now.

Taxi: Unnecessary unless you are Bill Gates.

Option 1:
Hotel Connexxion bus direct to the Hotel
http://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/site/home.asp
Buy tickets online or at Connexxion desk at Schiphol by the station.
Euro 14.5 single - Eu 22.5 return. This is a deal for a door to door service in AMS.

Option 2: Preferred.
Train from Schiphol to Central station. Euro 3.50, then tram 13, 14, 17 from Station. Get out at Westerkerk - I usually walk it from Central station so its not far. But then I travel v light.
Total cost about Euro x 5.
Experience: Priceless

Note: Buy your train ticket from the ticket window, and pay the 0.50 Eu surcharge.
Don't attempt the machine unless you have a European issued card.

rdy

Thunderroad May 21, 2009 3:44 pm

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

cruisr May 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by RDY3238 (Post 11776713)
I am there right now.

Taxi: Unnecessary unless you are Bill Gates.

Option 1:
Hotel Connexxion bus direct to the Hotel
http://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/site/home.asp
Buy tickets online or at Connexxion desk at Schiphol by the station.
Euro 14.5 single - Eu 22.5 return. This is a deal for a door to door service in AMS.

Option 2: Preferred.
Train from Schiphol to Central station. Euro 3.50, then tram 13, 14, 17 from Station. Get out at Westerkerk - I usually walk it from Central station so its not far. But then I travel v light.
Total cost about Euro x 5.
Experience: Priceless

Note: Buy your train ticket from the ticket window, and pay the 0.50 Eu surcharge.

rdy

I'm leaving tomorrow for a 3 nt stay. Thanks for the info. I travel really light and love to walk (walked 2.5 miles today in NYC doing sales calls) so I will probably do train to CS and walk.

I keep getting emails offering to upgrade for 50 Euros to a canal view room. Should I presume that there some (or many) available and I should get one as an upgrade as a Platinum? Is that too much for a Plat. upgrade? Do you think I will need to get "pushy" I really hate to argue for an upgrade.

Cheers

RDY3238 May 22, 2009 2:59 am

Personally I don't bother with canal side. Certainly not for E50.
How much water can you look at...? this is Amsterdam. The canal side noise starts early....
Prefer the courtyard, much quieter and better upgrade opportunities as everyone asks for canal side.
Avoid Hotel breakfast. Go to Koffiehaus De Hoek... left out of Hotel, and literally on the next corner. 30 secs away. Now smoke free. http://www.timeout.com/amsterdam/res...iehuis-de-hoek
I am on my way out at Schiphol. Have a great stay.

rdy

stimpy May 22, 2009 3:08 am

Originally Posted by RDY3238 (Post 11776713)

I never buy at the window and not just because of the 50 cents surcharge. The lines are usually very long with tourists asking all sorts of questions, especially at peak periods. Just make sure you have some euro coins with you. Several of the machines take coins and you can push the English button if you can't handle Dutch. It's very simple.