Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: St Regis Butler Service : what do they do? how much do you tip?

Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DC777Fan
Commonly asked questions about St. Regis "Butlers:"

1. What requests can they fulfill?
Generally, butlers can unpack/pack your suitcases, press a few pieces of laundry at no charge, act as a single POC for your requests to many different hotel departments, and other hotel-related services.

2. Should I tip my butler? How much?
The prevailing thought process in the thread suggests butlers should at least be tipped for "above and beyond" type service, and potentially more at your discretion and accounting for local tipping customs.

Other St. Regis Butler Information:
-If your room rate includes "Butler Service," coffee and tea (usually comes with small bites) will be delivered to your room at no charge upon request. Not all rooms at all hotels come with Butler Service.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: St Regis Butler Service : what do they do? how much do you tip?

Old Mar 26, 2005, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Starwood SPG Platinum, Fairmont Premier
Exclamation FAQ: St Regis Butler Service : what do they do? how much do you tip?

So do you guys tip the butlers for every little thing (morning coffee, ice, pressings) or just once at the end? I notice that there are several butlers assigned during our stay.

Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 3:55 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Whether it's butler or chamberbaid (especially with a decent length stay), I try to give a large enough tip to impress and make them know it's not going to be a daily occurrence. Why wait until the end? When they see some sign of reasonable generosity, it can only help in terms of service for the rest of the stay.

If you're going to tip at the end, why not do it sooner to let them know their efforts will be shown proper appreciation?
Old Mar 27, 2005, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
The above posts works for us. They get a good tip and if they keep up the service it continues. It usually works. Going to the St. Regis Grand Rome?
Old Mar 27, 2005, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Starwood SPG Platinum, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
The above posts works for us. They get a good tip and if they keep up the service it continues. It usually works. Going to the St. Regis Grand Rome?
Ah No, I wish, St. Regis Grand Rome has been one of my favorite hotels. I'm at The St. Regis NY (which reminds me a lot of the Rome property) and was given a great upgrade to a Madison Suite complete w/butler which I have only had once before at the Park Tower in London so I havent had enough experience with the butler staff to know the right protocol. The thing is, I've had three separate butlers come in and introduce themselves, and some have been there more than others so wasn't sure what to do. The concierge indicated that there was a 'butler drop box' located near the front desk so this may have worked itself out for me and I left an envelope for my favorite butler while I tipped the others out of pocket as they dropped items off (cookies, coffee, newspapers etc.).

Thanks for the replies.
Old May 31, 2005, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
My travels don't get me to many cities that have St.Regis or Luxury Collection properties, so my experience has been relatively limited over the years these have been added to the Starwood umbrella. I know that when I have stayed at the St.Regis in NYC or Park Tower in Buenos Aires [previously] the Butler has arrived shortly after I get to my room, introduces himself and offers a tray of tea or coffee. I recall this happening in the old days at the Singapore Sheraton Towers, which also featured butler service, but not in the past few years and stays.

Earlier this month I did stay once more at the Park Tower in BA, but this time saw no butler until I had to call for an electrical plug adaptor later in the evening.

Can someone please advise what the expected protocol is for St.Rs and LCs in this regard? Should I have expected the butler to come and offer tea/coffee for a midday arrival, introduce himself, etc. [I know some folks have the butler unpack and the like, but I find that a bit over the top.] Also, is a glass of juice or sparkling wine at reception not another basic at these properties?

[BTW I did point this out on a trip follow-up survey I was asked to do last week. Yesterday I had an email from the assistant manager apologizing for these things not being done for me, and offering her personal assistance and welcome on my next visit.]
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:33 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
What exactly does a Butler do ?

I stayed at the Hotel Grande Bretagne on the weekend where all rooms offer a Butler service.

What exactly does a butler do. Things I could think of:

- shine shoes
- iron clothing
- make tea / coffee

But really - what exactly does a Butler do ? Theere was no indication in any of the literature at the hotel of exactly what their function was.

Thanks.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:00 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
ozzie, do you remember that advert in the UK with the strapline:

"I'll be whatever you want me to be."

Kind of applies to butlers in the GB too.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

recent discussion
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620890
Old Jun 14, 2007, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
What would you tip your personal butler?

Ive checked into a Luxury Collection hotel in Europe and to my surprise was assigned a personal butler. Hes been absolutely great - getting drinks, sending faxes, arranging wakeups, tea, pictures, etc. Were here three days and two nights - any suggestions on an appropriate gratuity for his services?
Old Jun 14, 2007, 2:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
What Hotel?

I would calculate how much time and effort he dedicated to me and decide based on an hourly rate or per instance rate. I think 20 - 50 Euro per day would be appropriate.

What hotel are you staying at?
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jayzee9
I would calculate how much time and effort he dedicated to me and decide based on an hourly rate or per instance rate. I think 20 - 50 Euro per day would be appropriate.
depending on what (s)he is doing for you, i think this is generally a bit steep. but, again, it depends on the services provided. they would have to do quite a bit to earn 50 Euro from me. (and, i am not george costanza'ish by any means.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inv...infeld_episode)
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jayzee9

What hotel are you staying at?
In Europe we know a quite useful instrument called "salary".

I stay frequently at the same property where I have my personal butler and I have a certain feeling that this chap would even be embarassed if I gave him a bill.
Just281 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:26 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I think it depends upon how much he has done that is above and beyond. I would probably tip him in the range of 15 - 20 euros per day. And although there are salaries there is also appreciation shown for excellent service. I know when travelling through countries that don't traditionally have tipping the staff has always been appreciative when receiving a tip.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Thanks for the input

Thanks to all for the insight. FYI - my wife and I were at the Hotel Alfonso XIII in Seville, Spain. I can't say enough good things about the stay, it was truly an experiential event. We're at the tail end of a 15 day trip through Spain - staying at 4 Starwood properties. I plan to do a trip report upon return.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:15 pm

How have you used St Regis Butler Service?

I am naive and totally inexperience but I want to get it right. The St Regis website describes their Butler Service as Ensuring every guests stay is uniquely tailored to his or her needs, the signature St. Regis Butler sets the stage for an experience that caters to individual requests, no matter how great or small, at any hour of the day and night. Please tell me how you used the St Regis Butler Service. Thx.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.