Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort, Cancun [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2021, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort, Cancun [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear123
We are family of 4 with 2 kids. We have an option to book our 6-night hotel stay at Westin Lagunamar Ocean resort with Free Night Award or Cash & Point Award. Below are the 2 options:

Option 1: 6-night stay with 80K SPG points using Free Reward Nights
Option 2: 6-night stay with 36K SPG points + $790 cash

Can you comment on which of the above 2 options presents best value? Thanks.
Buzzlightyear, please re-review the value to you/your family and where you want to use the saved up points based on upcoming March devaluation (mentioned in other thread on this forum).
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:23 pm

Feb 2016 Trip Report

We just got back from a family stay at this property. 1st time for us to both CUN and to this property.

I booked this back when it was a Category 4 using points and I paid 6-8k points extra to upgrade to a 1 bedroom villa. Good deal for Cat 4 along with the upgrade. It was 46k/48k points total for 5 nights, I can’t recall exact number. Side bar: Now I see that is going to Category 6 thus I don’t plan to go back to CUN for Cat 6 when I can go to Maui for the same number of points!

We used USA Transfers (not the hotel transfer) since it was cheaper and offered the grocery store stop option. Thanks to azeckel for the recommendation. Note, if arriving on a busy long weekend/holiday period the airport curbside is a zoo and it took a few minutes to find the USA Transfers rep and almost 1 hour for the van to show up to take us. Just plan wait accordingly if arriving during a busy holiday/weekend.

We took the Walmart grocery stop with USA Transfers to get food, water, etc. The hotel shuttle doesn’t offer the grocery stop option. It helps to bring all the groceries to the bell hop along with the luggage at check in instead of lugging it later yourself from the market down the street, especially if you are buying water.

The main thing I missed in previous posts here on this thread is that you can drink the tap water in this hotel. We realized this after we talked to people there that come regularly. We switched over and had no issues but kept the kids on the bottled drinking water.

The location of this property is fantastic as others have mentioned before because it is across the street from the mall w/ some casual restaurants and shops and down the street from another mall.

Check in was efficient but room request placed with SPG during booking was either overlooked or not honored. I was given ground floor room originally when I specifically requested a non-ground floor room during SPG booking comments. After a solid 20-30 minutes of back and forth: let me ask my manger, we don’t have anything else, please get the manager here, etc. I was given to a 6th floor room with partial ocean view. Room and view was good enough for me. Just wish I didn’t have to haggle for it on check in after a long day of traveling. Partially my fault here too because I forgot to call room control 2 weeks before check in to make sure they didn’t stick us in a ground floor unit.

SPG Elite status was not recognized at check in or mentioned at any time. Again this is a time share property so my expectation are low on this front. I was even told you got ground floor unit because you are not an owner (which I know is the normal time share procedure even at Marriott).

Room is really nice. All/most rooms have some sort of ocean view (don’t know if you can see if on ground floor). We had some maintenance issues with toilet switch and fan chain that got fixed quickly. However, hot water was a consistent problem in the morning. I called and they said it shouldn’t be a problem in my building and to wait. Long story short: switched to showering at night as in the morning usually no hot water (even after 5-10 minute wait).

Having washer/dryer in the room is so convenient while on beach vacation. I think we did laundry at least 2-3 times a day. They provide enough detergent for the week so no need to lug anything from home or buy at Walmart during grocery store stop.

Full kitchen with what you would expect. Very helpful and we mainly used it for breakfast and some in room dinners. They only provided 2 packets of dish washing soap but asked lady cleaning the room and was provided more.

Coffee provided in the room was horrible. I weaned off the need for coffee since on vacation but mrs ended up going to the market and getting coffee (which is fine). Market is typical of what you’d expect and prices are equivalent to US prices (not CUN outside hotel zone prices).

We grilled one night (with steaks purchased at Walmart). Some of the grills don’t work and are also hard to get started. Once you have it started it works fine.

Weather was bit of problem during our stay in that we got 2 days on and off rain/isolated storms. It was really windy and sometimes cold to be out on the beach/in the pool. Pools are pretty good and kids enjoyed slide, infinity pool, swim up bar and the pools in general. Side bar: kids thought pools at Marriott Surf Club in Aruba are better but that maybe because that property has a lazy river.

There is a pool hut in the middle where you can get some beach toys, e.g. small football. I left our kids floats and beach toys with them so hopefully another family can use them.

Pool hut for towels opens at 8am. Try to grab seats before 830am because by 9am the pickings are slim. If you come too come early like I did one day around 730am they may take your stuff (for security reasons) if you leave more than 15 minutes. They took my t-shirt, and sandals off the pool chairs but didn’t grab the towels so I still had my spot. Go figure. It took 1 hour to get it back after numerous phone calls, visit to the lobby, please wait etc.

Ate at Veneto pool restaurant a few times for lunch. Food was okay but getting food to show up at the table was very slow. Plan to send someone early to sit down and order for the family if you have soon to be hungry kids that will come out of the pool.

Another/perhaps better option for lunch is to send an adult across the street to the mall and get take-out pizza or Johnny Rockets and eat in room or by pool. Prices may be cheaper and quality will probably be better.

Happy hour is 2 for 1. Drinks tasted watered down to me. In general drinks tasted watered down in Mexico to me but I don’t know if they are so used to catering to the all-inclusive market so that is why they are prepared in that fashion across the board. Stick to beer or (semi-decent) wine.

Kids club was not that busy and my kids only did the bunny feeding, and s’mores on the beach. Note, if interested in s’mores double check the time as they kept moving it that day and one family showed up at 7pm with it was over. We didn’t do the Parent Night out so no comments on this option.

Mini-golf course is half closed due to renovations but did play a few rounds with the kids. Tennis court is nice and used it one morning. I brought my own racquet and balls but I believe they have some to rent as well.

Beach is nice but you can’t really swim in the ocean water; way too much current. Warning if you have young kids about letting them go into the way too far on their own. I heard that an adult drowned in the ocean water during our stay (not sure if she was from our hotel) so please take ocean water current warning seriously, i.e. this is not the place to come if you are really looking to do serious ocean swimming. It is fine for playing on the beach and using the pools.

Outside property we went to Xcaret one day and Chichen Itza another day. Tours can be booked via hotel concierge who reaches out to you a few weeks before your trip via e-mail. I used my Chase UR points for the bookings. Not a good value for UR points but in constant points devaluation world I look at all these points as monopoly money and if can be used (and no immediate plans to use in next 1-2 years) then burn them. Note, if going to Chichen-Itza, we really liked the early tour that picked up at 530am but we were back by 330pm. The hard part is to get out of bed but you can nap on the bus when you get there.

I ended up not pulling any local Pesos out and did everything in US$ cash and credit card. The only place local currency would help is at Chichen-Itza souvenir shops as you get better value than paying in US$ and also if you want to get Crepes in the mall which only takes cash.

All in all a good stay other than the check in issue, and the stuff getting picked up off the pool chair. We are more of a HNL/OGG family for beach vacations but it is long trip from NYC so I have been trying some places in Mexico/Caribbean. Nothing is calling me to back to CUN or this property but it is a cheaper/closer option than OGG. With devaluation of property to Cat 6, I won’t be going down on points in the near future and if paying cash will stick to OGG properties unless this property is much cheaper.

Last edited by miles_navigator; Feb 20, 2016 at 7:28 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I agree about getting the 1 bedroom. I've stayed here since it opened- several visits a year. It's been my favorite Starwood Resort since Le Meridien Cancun left Starwood. The regular room is okay for 1 person, but with kids, if you can, you'd save yourself a lot of trouble by booking the 1 bedroom. I have made several solo trips and always get the full 1 bedroom villa. These are newer units and so worth the trouble! It's a great space and the living room sofa makes into a bed.

Be sure you get down to the pool for BINGO. I've won 3 bottles of tequila in 3 years, and I don't even drink, LOL!

Seriously, great property, great location- and the 1 bedroom is worth the extra price. I got an amazing deal in the summer- I think it was Hot Escapes? You get a resort credit which can be used for food and drink, for stuff at the gift shop, and when I hadn't spent all of mine, the desk clerk told me I could run down and buy stuff until I hit my limit. Lovely place. I can't get enough of it!
Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I agree about getting the 1 bedroom. I've stayed here since it opened- several visits a year. It's been my favorite Starwood Resort since Le Meridien Cancun left Starwood. The regular room is okay for 1 person, but with kids, if you can, you'd save yourself a lot of trouble by booking the 1 bedroom. I have made several solo trips and always get the full 1 bedroom villa. These are newer units and so worth the trouble! It's a great space and the living room sofa makes into a bed.

Be sure you get down to the pool for BINGO. I've won 3 bottles of tequila in 3 years, and I don't even drink, LOL!

Seriously, great property, great location- and the 1 bedroom is worth the extra price. I got an amazing deal in the summer- I think it was Hot Escapes? You get a resort credit which can be used for food and drink, for stuff at the gift shop, and when I hadn't spent all of mine, the desk clerk told me I could run down and buy stuff until I hit my limit. Lovely place. I can't get enough of it!
nice recommendation. Just booked 5 nights in april for 58k points in the 1 bedroom suite. I only have spg gold so I'm kinda glad the spg plat amenities here are meaningless
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
Just checked out yesterday and the hotel is great and in a perfect sopt right in the middle of the hotel zone.

We had the 1 bedroom suite and that is the only way to stay here since the full kitchen and the laundry facilities inside the room were great. My wife usually overpacks and even she admitted she could have brought half the clothes she took with her.

I also recommend a rental car as the rates are so cheap. I got a Volkswagon Jetta from Alamo for $200 for the week which included the $15 a day mandatory liability insurance and the car saved us so much money. A private ride for up to 4 people to the hotel is $85 each way ($65 for a shared van) so the car really only cost us $30 for the week. We went to the Walmart grocery store and bought breakfast food (eggs and pancakes) and also drinks (beer, soda and soft drinks) and the Walmart store has name brands you will recognize from the States. I also went to get lunch each day and the best bet was finding the subway sandwich store which had subs for around 180 pesos a day (less than $10) so you can really do this vacation on a budget. We also ate in downtown cancun so our dinners ranged from $30-$50 each night (including tip) and we avoided the crowds of the hotel zone.

I agree that the platinum recognition is non existent at this hotel with the exception of being granted a late checkout. My flight wasn't until 6pm local time and I was granted a 2pm checkout which gave us another half day at the beach. I know a lot of people have stated that they weren't granted a late checkout so maybe I just lucked out when I asked (I asked the night before we were due to leave).

My biggest complaint was the sofa bed was extremely uncomfortable and my daughter who weighs 70 pounds complained of her back hurting so I had to get a roll a way for her to sleep on. They have a $30 a night charge for this but I spoke to a manager and said if you couldn't feel every spring in the sofa bed I wouldn't need a roll a way but they wouldn't budge and they made me sign a card stating I agreed to pay the $30 per day. I guess they thought about it further after I left because the charge they made me sign for wasn't on the final bill.

For anyone who was at the hotel this past week (Presidents week) my question to you is, is it always that windy at the hotel and is the ocean always that rough? We found the few spots by the pool where the wind was blocked but the beach was so rough that we only went in for a few minutes each day.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Did the 1 bedrooms go up at some point recently from 13.5k/night to 14.5k/night (before the obvious huge deval coming up next week)?

Also, are there any recommendations of things in Cancun with really young kids (1 and 5) if we don't want to stay at Lagunamar every day but may not have a car. Also nothing crazy expensive. We have a 10 day vacation next Jan and are trying to decide between Cancun or possibly Hawaii again. We love Hawaii, it's just such a long flight with little kids from the East Coast.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by yoshapman
Also, are there any recommendations of things in Cancun with really young kids (1 and 5) if we don't want to stay at Lagunamar every day but may not have a car. Also nothing crazy expensive. We have a 10 day vacation next Jan and are trying to decide between Cancun or possibly Hawaii again. We love Hawaii, it's just such a long flight with little kids from the East Coast.
Check out XCaret and see if it is suitable for your kids. 5 year old maybe ok but 1 year old I don't know. Chichen Itza is probably out of the question with kids that young.

If booking hotel on points and using miles for the plane (assuming you are miles rich and there is availability) then my family would rather spend 10 days in Hawaii over Cancun any day. If you are paying for the airfare then of course you have to decide based on the math.

When my kids were <=5, I remember they would spend a good portion of that looong west bound day flight to Hawaii napping so it wasn't a big pain to go to out there for our family.

Also, kids can play in the ocean water in Hawaii in most places. Cancun is just too rough other than playing the sand and sticking only the toes/ankle in for young kids.

Where are you thinking of staying in Hawaii? Westin Kannapali/Maui villas is great for families but ridiculously high SPG category now. Also, we enjoyed Marriot Ko Olina with the kids a lot to around that age.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
Check out XCaret and see if it is suitable for your kids. 5 year old maybe ok but 1 year old I don't know. Chichen Itza is probably out of the question with kids that young.

If booking hotel on points and using miles for the plane (assuming you are miles rich and there is availability) then my family would rather spend 10 days in Hawaii over Cancun any day. If you are paying for the airfare then of course you have to decide based on the math.
interesting. I had a misunderstanding that cancun waters are as it's not an open ocean. I was in the wailea area in maui 2 years ago and the water there definitely wasn't calm. I am headed to hyatt regency in kauai in May so I will find out how my 1 yo likes it.

Looks like i need to evaluate whether to go to cancun at all. I had good connectivity to hawaii on HA/AS/UA from SFO area byut cancun is quite tough to get to
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Really just looking for fun activities near the resort. Cancun is less than 4 hours and Hawaii usually takes most of the day to get to, and we may not be getting an extra seat for the under 2 child, so I'd rather only have to do that for a couple hours vs many, many hours.

I heard there was an aquarium right across the street, and Isla Mujeres might be doable, but looking for other ideas that are close-by and not so expensive.

Last edited by yoshapman; Mar 1, 2016 at 11:31 am
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:38 pm

....nm
Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by miles_navigator
I booked this back when it was a Category 4 using points and I paid 6-8k points extra to upgrade to a 1 bedroom villa.
How do you use points to do a confirmed upgrade to the 1 bedroom villa? By phone or online - didn't see option online. thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by FatB
How do you use points to do a confirmed upgrade to the 1 bedroom villa? By phone or online - didn't see option online. thanks!
All points upgrades at Starwood properties must be done by phone.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Westin Lagunamar Review

The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas, Cancun

KM. 12.5 Blvd Kukulcan Zona Hotelera Cancun, MX 77500

Westin Lagunamar Review (0 Photo)

The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas, Cancun

Mrs. And I just returned from a 3 night stay.  We booked a studio villa on points.  As a Gold I was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a 1 bedroom at check in.  See below for more detail.  All in all this is a WONDERFUL property.  

Check In

We arrived at 11:30 AM and I was very pleased that we were given an upgraded room (from studio to 1 bedroom) without delay.  I had heard that there was minimal status recognition here but they did a nice job acknowledging my status.  Also, I would not have expected that type of upgrade as a Gold so it was a very nice surprise.

i was a little surprised that they wanted to photocopy our passports but I did not argue about it.  Is this typical outside of the US?  I wasn't sure why it was really needed and seemed a little invasive.  I have no problem showing ID at check in but it seems to me that a drivers license should suffice?  We don't frequently travel internationally so I am somewhat ignorant on this issue.

Room

We were in a 1st floor, oceanfront 1 bedroom on the south end of the property, near the smaller pool.  View was terrific.  Room was nicely appointed, attractive furniture, etc.  Kitchen fully stocked for those that might want to cook,  bathroom was large and had a soaker tub and separate shower.  We had some difficulty getting the shower to stay at a comfortable temperature.  Too hot, then too cold, then too hot, etc.  that was my only real complaint about the room.

Service

Service was generally very good, staff was friendly and helpful.  

Dining

We ate breakfast daily in Oceano.  I thought that the price of the breakfast buffet (about $20) which included one mimosa was extremely reasonable given that we were at a resort.  The buffet was extensive, with omelettes, eggs to order, and a nice selection of Mexican food as well.  Quality of food was good overall.  Our only other "dining" was drinks at the swim up bar.  I thought that prices were VERY reasonable for a beach resort, and the 3-4 PM half price happy hour was a terrific deal, about $3 for margarita, daiquiri, etc.  beers about $3 all day.

I thought the location was great.  Directly across the street from La Isla mall.  Walking distance to a number of good restaurants.

Overall

This was a fantastic stay.  Beautiful room, good service, and we also loved the pool areas and beach.  We have been to resorts in Hawaii, Aruba, the Bahamas, and Florida and thought that from a facilities standpoint, this was the nicest property we had been to.  I can see why it has been moved to a Category 6.  I was lucky enough to book just before it moved up category.  If I returned, I would have to give thought to the Westin Cancun given that it is a Category 3.  However, the Lagunamar wins out hands down on location.

Westin Lagunamar Review

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas, Cancun?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
special occasion advice

I've been visiting this hotel since it opened (and Le Meridien Cancun closed) and I LOVE it. So when I was there in August, I decided that I'd have my BFF join me for my next trip, which is next weekend. We are going to celebrate not just our birthdays, which we celebrated together as kids as we are only a month apart, but also, the 30th anniversary of our 1st trip to Cancun! #SPGlife

I knew we had gone in 1986 and at the time, we swore up and down that we'd return to Cancun every 5 years. Well, she didn't make it back until 3 years ago and she LOVED Westin Lagunamar. It's a far cry from the resort we stayed at in the 80s! Back then we were young teens with my mom in the next room, and our very 1st minibar, which we hardly touched. The hotel was called The Calinda and was near where the marina is now. Things were SO different then. We had to take a plane to Cozumel and it was one that seated only the 4 of us. To get to Isla Mujeres we had to take a boat tour. But it was such fun and I'm thrilled to be going back exactly 30 years later. Can you imagine arranging a trip and realizing that it had been 30 years to the day, that you'd 1st seen such a beautiful and wonderful place?

So here's my dilemma. If we were going anywhere else, Starwood would make a big deal over our trip. But Lagunamar has limited Starwood Participation. Normally, as both a Lifetime Plat, SPG has made much of the celebrations I've spent with them. From my huge 40th Birthday Bash in Chicago at the Lakeshore W, to our anniversary at Westin Maui, and even the Sheraton DTW bringing my son his 5 year birthday cake before we left for Florida, I've always been surprised and thrilled at the wonderful treatment I have received. Just last May, after a terrible health scare, I took my Bucket List Trip to Greece, and the Hotel Grande Bretagne's welcome made me burst into tears. In addition to the lovely amenities like chocolates and wine, the management had two big Luxury Collection bags waiting, with the most gorgeous suede/leather duffle from the gift shop, with HGB insignia and the tags embossed with our names. At the gift shoppe, the duffles were $350 Euros each! So I have been spoiled.

Back to Westin Lagunamar. I arrive on 9/30 and my BFF since age of 4, arrives on 10/1, which is her actual birthday. Mine is a month later, but we always celebrated them together with parties as kids. I want to celebrate both our birthdays AND the amazing coincidence of it being 30 years to the day of our 1st trip. But being as they are a part of SPG yet NOT a part, I wonder if I'll be able to do much. I was hoping to decorate the suite a bit, but beyond that, I'm stumped. We both need this to be a relaxing trip. She just returned from Europe and I have been very ill again. I wonder if they do celebrate things like that, or if it is something we have to do on our own. I love Westin Lagunamar, but I'll admit, I miss the entire SPG experience there. I miss the early check-ins and the late check-outs, though I was told in August that I certainly could have a late check out. I had a crazy early plane, so I thanked them but couldn't use it. It's always hard to know which properties send the gifts for the celebrations like the champagne or wine or a birthday cake, and which don't.

Has anyone spent a birthday or anniversary or another special occasion there? I've been there so many times that I've lost track, but I don't recall ever seeing any parties going on. As a Lifetime Plat, at the least, I usually get a fruit basket or wine or another gift with note to say "Thanks for being a Lifetime Plat" but NEVER at Westin Lagunamar. And I stay there several times a year. Again, I think it is simply because they're SPG but not SPG, if that makes sense.

I've never had a bad stay here. But this trip I want to be very special. A 30 year anniversary of our 1st trip to Cancun is a huge thing, even bigger than our birthdays! But I do want it to be special because her actual birthday falls on the day she arrives. I had to pay out of pocket for all but one night with the rates higher than I've ever seen them for this time of year. I think the category change affected the rates. So I can't spend a lot. But I'm glad I'm not only flying for a one day meeting and then leaving. As with every trip, I add on days to make it a vacation, too.

I'm always in meetings in the mornings when I am there so I have precious little time to explore. I know she loved Seņor Frogs when we went 3 years ago, maybe that will be enough for her birthday. But if anyone knows them to do special things like spg.life's many recognitions, I'd love to hear it. I tend to stay at the resort unless I go across to La Isla Mall, so I have no idea about fun places to visit for birthdays, etc. Or is there somewhere IN the resort where birthdays are acknowledged? I guess I'm just looking for someone who has an idea or who has celebrated here before. After many years and about 15 visits, I still usually just eat lunch by the pool and make my own toast for breakfast. This will be a challenge.

Thanks in advance, I hope to see some fun advice. A week from tonight, we will be celebrating!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:31 pm

@ thaliajen: I hate to say this but you need to temper your expectations here. This property has many great qualities but going above and beyond for plats is not one of them! If your going to want something special here like a cake, champagne etc, you will need to order it and pay for it... good luck though and enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.