Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort, Cancun [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2021, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Recent Plat Stay

Just leaving a 3-night stay here today - 2 nights on pts, the other cash.

Few things - reserved the Studio, did not get upgraded. (Email confirmation did advise that since this is SVO upgrades are not available for select SPG members.) 2yrs ago i was upgraded from Studio to 1-bedroom, but also I was SPG Platinum 100, now just SPG Plat (so not sure if that made the difference). But there is one whole building under renovation - - i believe building 8, so that also reduces chances to upgrade.

Platinums do get complimentary "cold" continental breakfast - - typically in Oceano (under renovations), but temporarily moved to the Duna Sports Bar. For "hot" items there's a $140.00 peso upcharge per person. Henry in Duna is spectacular!! Ask for him!

Check-in was ATROCIOUS! Check-in technically is 4pm, we arrived at 3:30pm and waited 2hrs to check in. Room took forever to be ready. Many excuses, blah blah blah... but just frustrating that it took a while for the room to be ready. Also weekend check-in's seem to be worse, being that this is an SVO property.
No SPG Plat or Gold reception at check-in - - appears to be all mixed. So you'll wait just as long as everyone else.
After check-in, you'll meet w a concierge who will offer a few amenities - Plats get a 15% off coupon for food and non-alcoholic drinks in Duna. Plus you'll get the complimentary breakfast coupons. The concierge will also assist you w a SVO Presentation if you'd like for discounted tours or 6,500 SPG pts.
SPG Plats have access to the "Owners Lounge". We walked by but didn't go in; it appears to just have coffee, TV's, and a few publications.
Also when you meet w the Concierge they will share a list of all the local restaurants that have discounts too.

Internet is free throughout resort - I was able to get online down at the beach too. It was okay; only ran into one time where it wasn't working for about 5 minutes.

Pool area is great, beach area is great! Overall this is a very comfortable SPG property to stay at. Just be prepared for a wait at check-in, and you should be okay after that.

Not sure if the beds are "Heavenly" or not, but we did not sleep so well. (Could be because we have a Tempur-pedic at home; and also the Studios only have a Queen.) Either way, wasn't super comfy.

Transfers to/from resort - - I always use Lomas Travel. Current RT pricing is $25/person RT. Approx 20 minutes.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:07 pm
tpr

Programs: AA, SPG
I'm currently on the way back home. Stayed in 1bd for a week, paid with points (I'm SPG Gold).
When arrived on Friday at ~1pm I was informed that the room is ready waiting for us.
We were very satisfied with the stay. Property is awesome especially when you travel with kids. The service was very good too.
No complains at all.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Just left a 3 night stay yesterday. I really liked the location and a great beach for sure. This is technically low season and the beach and pool was very emply which was fine with me. The beach is very wide and you have plenty of room to lounge between the water and hotel.

Checkin for us was fine only 10 minute wait. I was never explained however of the spg owners lounge, which apparently I have access to as a plat.

The breakfast was average at best and as explained is in Duna Grill now temporarily with an up charge of about 10 bucks to get anything good IMO.

The concierge was helpful but pushed us to people that they had "associations" with. For example the parasailing was at oceanpark or ocean world I forget the name...... they have no association with anyone actually on the gulf side so I kept asking and the guy said you have to do all that yourself and acted clueless as to their prices etc. I think this is a way of pushing you to their "associations". Which while we had a good time, if a boat and jetski is passing right in front of your resort on the gulf people will want to do that, not go on the lagoon side.

Room was very good and I booked the 1 bedroom as i didn't want to roll the dice on an upgrade. Stayed in building 9 with a view from floor 4 and was very happy with the layout and view.

Overall for 200 bucks a night I was very satisfied.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
I received an offer for a 4 night stay for $319 including all taxes and fees. They also give you the choice of either a $75 resort credit or 5000 star points. Guess which one I choose

Cancun has not been on my radar but after looking at the property and reading this thread I decided to take them up on this unbelievable offer (i priced it out at $1600 if paying cash). That and the fact we have enough SWA points for 2 RT made this a no brainer for a winter get away. Booked first week in March should make for a great break from the cold

I have been gold with *wood for about 4 years and I think I have only gotten an offer like this once before for a different property. They said about a month out if I wanted to upgrade to a 1 bedroom i would probably have the chance then for $40 a night. The CSA seemed to think my odds were good of getting the offer looking at the bookings right now. The upgrade seems to be a good value too. Looks like there is a big difference in the 1 bed and the studio.

I can't believe what great deal this looks like! Now I am wondering if I should pay cash and add on one more night! Thanks SPG!

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Oct 9, 2014 at 11:53 pm
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:25 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

We're heading there pretty soon for some fun in the sun.

Does the hotel, or anything nearby, have an unlimited drink pass? Or should I just stock up on tequila at CUN?

We like to do all the activities: jet skiing, that giant mattress full of air, the water jet pack thing, visiting the ruins, inflatable tow behind the boat, etc... who would be the recommended vendor for someone too lazy to walk more than a 1/4 mile down the beach each time?

I'm not thrilled about talking to the concierge too much who'd try to get me into a timeshare. Or are there any tips on getting around that besides acting destitute, which has generally been my strategy to avoid sales pressure.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT100

No unlimited drinks. Sorry.

The concierges are very helpful if you get one who isn't new.

Totally do the tineshare preso. 6500 points. A few discounts. I did the dolphin trainer for a day at wet and wild. With discounts. 30 bucks out of pocket. Find the most expensive excursions you wanna do and apply them right then and there.
The preso was painless. 42 minutes. Sit there. Shut up. Listen. At the end say we can't afford it. Done.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
I received an offer for a 4 night stay for $319 including all taxes and fees. They also give you the choice of either a $75 resort credit or 5000 star points. Guess which one I choose

Cancun has not been on my radar but after looking at the property and reading this thread I decided to take them up on this unbelievable offer (i priced it out at $1600 if paying cash). That and the fact we have enough SWA points for 2 RT made this a no brainer for a winter get away. Booked first week in March should make for a great break from the cold

I have been gold with *wood for about 4 years and I think I have only gotten an offer like this once before for a different property. They said about a month out if I wanted to upgrade to a 1 bedroom i would probably have the chance then for $40 a night. The CSA seemed to think my odds were good of getting the offer looking at the bookings right now. The upgrade seems to be a good value too. Looks like there is a big difference in the 1 bed and the studio.

I can't believe what great deal this looks like! Now I am wondering if I should pay cash and add on one more night! Thanks SPG!
Got the same offer as well, wasn't looking to go back to Cancun this soon but the deal was too good to pass on. Heading there in 3 weeks.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by BrassMonkehy
No unlimited drinks. Sorry.

The concierges are very helpful if you get one who isn't new.

Totally do the tineshare preso. 6500 points. A few discounts. I did the dolphin trainer for a day at wet and wild. With discounts. 30 bucks out of pocket. Find the most expensive excursions you wanna do and apply them right then and there.
The preso was painless. 42 minutes. Sit there. Shut up. Listen. At the end say we can't afford it. Done.
Did someone approach you about the timeshare press. or how did you get offered the deal? I can sit for 45 minutes to get 6500 pts.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:51 am

Question for people who have been here: How did you dine while at the resort? Eat on site mostly, eat off site at restaurants close by, what are prices like? Wondering if there is a grocery close by to pick up some things as it sounds like the breakfast is pretty lackluster. Thanks

EDIT: Seeing that the Walmart 1 is pretty close by, maybe about a 15 minute bus ride?

Last edited by jonathoneskel; Oct 16, 2014 at 9:09 am
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Spent last week at Lagunamar as a timeshare guest. We were in a 1 BR and had other family in a 2BR. This continues to be one of our favorites. There were a few maintenance issues with some of our units (A/C, balcony deadbolts, drawers coming off track, etc), but otherwise no complaints. Several buildings were closed for renovation and there are crews on site during the week rewiring everything (something about a new law requiring new wiring in public buildings--at least that's what we heard), but no major disruptions.

We had a car so we were able to get out a few times and hit the grocery stores (Soriana, Costco, Superama by Wal-Mart). We cooked several meals onsite (the Arracherra from Costco is amazing and can easily feed 8-10). Soriana is probably my favorite for its authenticity. Superama is surprisingly nice and feels like a high end American grocery store. All are an easy drive from the resort (concierge can give maps/directions). I believe they can all be reached by bus. I think a popular move for those without cars is to bus it to the market and taxi back so you don't have to lug groceries.

Had several lunches at Viento as well as the steak dinner on Wednesday night (420 MXP per person). All were excellent. Wish they had a few more Mexican options at lunch, but what they do have is very good. Happy hour at Viento is 2 for 1. Same for Duna later in the afternoon.

Staff were all super friendly and helpful. We really like this place.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
We won't have a car so I was hoping to get a few restaurant recommendations that are close by. We are not looking for fine dining this trip just some solid reasonably priced food.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:02 pm

La Isla Mall is right across the street, lots of restaurants. Options range from Johnny Rockets to more upscale (Thai is great).

http://www.laislacancun.com.mx/content/tiendas#seis
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
We mainly ate of site as the restaurants were pretty lacklustre. There are some nice restaurants in La Isla Mall directly across the street. Thai ( or the Thai Lounge as I've seen it called) was especially good. The Westin concierge will call and request an over water table for sunset if you wish. There were also some seafood restaurants along the water's edge in the mall. Google la Isla Mall Cancun.

It also depends upon your definition of fine dining. Some of those are pricier than others obviously but you can eat reasonably in all of those, although reasonably is a subjective term. I know that some of them have websites that you can explore to get an idea.
A little further away, but still walkable if you're healthy ( or a short taxi ride if you prefer ) are the Crab House ( our biggest pleasant surprise and about 2 km ) and La Habichuela Sunset, both worth trying. In fact there are restaurants all along the Hotel Zone.

I note that this posting overlapped with Cobijonz as I left it and came back later before submitting.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:04 pm

Thanks for all the food ideas, will have our almost 1 year old so gotta plan this out real well.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by Cobijonz
La Isla Mall is right across the street, lots of restaurants. Options range from Johnny Rockets to more upscale (Thai is great).

http://www.laislacancun.com.mx/content/tiendas#seis
We like Taco Grill (original I know) at La Isla. Fun little place for tacos and drinks looking out at the lagoon. If you prefer, there's a Hooters just down from there and they were advertising NFL games in HD and Hooters girls in 3D (seriously).

Didn't visit this time, but just south of La Isla, the taco stand associated with Fish Fritanga has been good in the past. Probably more reasonably priced than the mall too.

Have eaten at Habichuela Sunset before which I would classify as higher end for Cancun. Kind of an over the top experience (entertainers performing throughout restaurant), but the food was surprisingly good...just not my style of place.

Heard great things about the Thai place, but never tried it. We try to stick with Mexican(ish) food in Mexico and Thai food in Thailand...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.