Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort, Cancun [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2021, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort, Cancun [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:57 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
I'm not sure whether anyone has mentioned it, but this hotel is directly across the street from the magnificent La Isla outdoor shopping mall.

That's a great location, not just for the stores but also the range of dining outlets.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 2:38 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi all,

Looks like the property would like to withdraw from their previous claim with an email sent to me today.

"(c) At the following properties, Members will earn 1,000 Starpoints per stay on RACK, COR, BAR1 and AAA rate plans only. Stays at these properties will not count as an Eligible Stay or Eligible Night towards elite levels of Membership or for threshold bonuses and promotions. No in-hotel benefits, such as upgrades and late check-out, are available to any Members. The 50% Discount Award is accepted but requires a three night minimum length of stay. Free Night Awards are accepted at these properties subject to the following conditions: 1) Free Night Awards may only be booked within 120 days of arrival; 2) blackout dates may apply; 3) limited rooms may be available for Free Night Awards; and 4) Starpoints acquired through conversion of a Vacation Ownership Interest at an SVO Resort may not be redeemed for Free Night Award accommodations at a SVO Resort.

Properties:
Sheraton Vistana Resort, Orlando, FL
The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort, Cancun, Mexico"

While I am sorting out the issue with a member currently, my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

[email protected]
Old Feb 3, 2009, 6:14 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Thumbs up

My issue has been resolved as a one time exception.

My thanks to Starwood Lurker II and the people at SPG that worked on getting this to a satisfactory resolution.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Here is my recent TA review of the property:

For a timeshare, this resort is topnotch from start to finish. It would get 5* except for a few issues which I will discuss. But families really can't go wrong with a room here. Keep in mind that it is a timeshare, not a 5* resort viz Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, etc.

We arranged for airport transport through the hotel. Lo and behold, when we emerged from customs there was nobody waiting for us. However, a quick call to the hotel and the man with the sign soon emerged (and the hotel called us back to follow up - a rarity!) The van was comfortably A/C and did not stop anywhere else.

When we arrived the bellhop took our luggage and checkin was pretty quick. It took a while for the luggage to arrive at the room. However, everyone was very nice. In general every single employee at this property had a great attitude- very different from what we found at another timeshare in Cabo San Lucas. They all provided prompt service with a smile, were helpful with info, and didn't have their hands for tips (though certainly you should tip them as appropriate).

The rooms are brand new (as is the property, which was completely rebuilt after the 2005 hurricane), The construction quality isn't A+, some of the door panels were loose and the craftsmanship wasn't perfect. But the rooms are better than probably 95% of the competition. Large bedrooms, large living room and dining room area (for the 1 BR units) and the studio rooms were about the size of a large hotel room in the USA. High quality bathrooms with great water pressure in the glass showers, separate large whirlpool tubs, and a separate toilet area. Kitchens are full service with large frigs, stoves, micros, coffee makers, plates, glasses, silverware, etc. Each room has a nice balcony facing the ocean and the pool area. Also a stacked washer dryer unit - you won't find that in most hotel rooms! The maid service is not too good, if you are a timeshare customer you only get one service per week (not a great job either) and they were chintzy with soap and towels (though the towels were very plush). However, you can pay for extra service if you want and the rates aren't horrendous.

The pool area is huge and we never had trouble finding a chair or an umbrella. Ditto for the beach area. However, the resort is only operating at 20% of capacity, so as more rooms come online this could become an issue. We will provide an update when we visit next year. The food at the pool was okay and reasonably priced compared with Vegas, Palm Springs and other resort areas in the US. Only $3 for a draft beer at the swim up bar - try finding that in the US! There is a giant waterslide, an infinity pool and two huge jacuzzis. And best of all the towels are free - no annoying rules that require you to check them in and out as they require at Westin hotels in Hawaii (and Cabo). However they did run out of towels several times which was annoying, though usually a new batch would arrive within an hour. The beach is small but the sand is wonderful (not that rocky crap you get on the french riviera or cabo) and the water is unbelievably warm and blue. It was not crowded, and very few annoying "salespeople".

The restaurants like most resorts appeared overpriced and underutilized. However in this case you won't care as the wonderful Isla mall is directly across the road from the hotel and has plenty of decent dining options. We liked Chilis (which also has a great play area for children) but Planet Hollywood was also good. The prices were not jacked up like Cabo. There are more restaurants down at the Kulkulan mall which is about a 10 minute walk up the road. There are also 2 nice BBQ areas with 6 grills sinks - the staff cleans the grills every night!

There is a medium sized gym area with a lot of cardio machines and a few weight machines. A bit disappointing for a resort, but not the worst I've seen. Across from the gym is a small gift shop that has plenty of food products. $1 for a can of coke - not bad for a resort. Nearby is a childcare area, but your kid must be 3 or older to attend (though babysitting is also available in your room). There is also a small outdoor play area with sand.

The rooms are only 20% completed, but all the towers are built so we didn't hear any construction noise (they are busy doing the interiors). The timeshare sales dept was very low key and did not contact us at all, unlike other Westins like Maui that harass you continuously.

Overall we were very happy here and look forward to returning next year. I give the resort only 4* due to the deficiencies mentioned above, but I'm a tough grader. The location can't be beat. As noted, this is a timeshare resort, so you either have to buy a week from Starwood, rent from an owner, take a promo deal, or get lucky and book a room through the spg site if one is available.

For FTers who expect super luxury a la St Regis Aspen, you'll be disappointed. But for those who are looking for a nice family experience and want to save some coin by using the kitchens and outdoor bbqs, it's perfect. In reading the other reviews, my guess is that this property is superior to the Westin hotel but not to the Meridien - but I'll be better able to compare in a year as we plan to spend a couple of nights at the hotel.

Cancun Airport note: Avoid Saturdays at all cost, particularly in peak periods. The place is a zoo, 1hr lines for F (3 hours for Y), many delays. Not worth your sanity.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
Online I have seen mention of kids pool and kids playground, but can't find any details. Anyone have any info on this?

We are taking our two year-old for 10 nights at the end of January.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 2:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
There's a kid's pool by the other pools. Big circular shallow pool (foot or so) mostly surrounded by a glass wall to prevent them from getting into the main pools.

Mrs. G says there is a play area in the basement (indoor) with pet rabbits. I missed that part of the tour...
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See my post above regarding the childcare (kid's club) area. There is also a small playground area outside the kids club at the front of the building overlooking the main road but it's pretty pathetic by US standards. There is a large wading pool as described above.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:52 am

Anyone have an email address for the concierge?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:59 pm

In case anyone needs it, this is it:

[email protected]

Originally Posted by jnswinnipeg
Anyone have an email address for the concierge?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Just finished up a week at the Lagunamar - the beach replenishment was completed during our stay, so there is now 200+' of sand between the pool and ocean. We had a great week - the hotel was super.

Go for building one or nine to get the best ocean front rooms, although some construction noise will be heard from bldg nine.

Only one caution is the ATM's near the business center that dispense US dollars are converted from pesos at 14 pesos to the dollar, plus a service fee. In the end, it will cost you about $118 to get $100 and then have to convert to pesos, a very shameful practice.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by martusd
Only one caution is the ATM's near the business center that dispense US dollars are converted from pesos at 14 pesos to the dollar, plus a service fee. In the end, it will cost you about $118 to get $100 and then have to convert to pesos, a very shameful practice.
Do they not have ATMs that dispense pesos? They did in June and the rates were comprable to other area ATMs.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:39 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
Do they not have ATMs that dispense pesos? They did in June and the rates were comprable to other area ATMs.
Yes, they have two ATM's - - one dispenses in USD and the other in pesos. (I can't remember where the 2nd was... maybe downstairs by the gift/snack shop???)
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: United 1K / Starwood Platinum
About to go to Cancun

Hello all..longtime Platinum member but new to forums.
I am taking my family next week to Cancun..I was going to stay at the Lagunamar using points but seems they do not welcome or treat Platinum guests any different than any random guest. For this reason I am staying at the Westin Cancun. I am wrong? should I be trying the Lagunamar?
Your feedback is appreciated.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having stayed here now 2 years in a row during the busy Xmas/NYE week I have to reiterate my prior review - this is a great place for families (and anyone else) - and now I can say it is also far superior to the Westin Hotel for many, many reasons (compare both reviews). I don't care what elite level you are, I would not stay at the hotel unless the cost at Lagunamar is too high (definitely worth an extra 3000 point per night).

Although it is a timeshare property, I often see the rooms available for reservation with points or for cash. I don't know of any special SPG elite privileges - keep in mind that all owners are at least SPG Gold level.

ATMs: There are two ATMS below the lobby floor - near the convenience store. However, I prefer to use the Banco Santander ATM which is a short 10min walk up the main road and then left just before the Kulkulan mall. No fee and no forex markup when using a Bank of America ATM card. ^ ^

Last edited by Boraxo; Jan 7, 2010 at 4:29 pm
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mixer552
Hello all..longtime Platinum member but new to forums.
I am taking my family next week to Cancun..I was going to stay at the Lagunamar using points but seems they do not welcome or treat Platinum guests any different than any random guest. For this reason I am staying at the Westin Cancun. I am wrong? should I be trying the Lagunamar?
Your feedback is appreciated.
I stayed at both in June and there is no comparison. The Westin hotel is tired, dated, and not that well located. Yes, they treated me very well as a Plat, offering a decent upgrade, internet, and cocktail hour, but at the end of the day, it still felt like 1985.

Lagunamar is more centrally located and fresh and new all over. It's a beautiful resort that is very family friendly with several large pools. I was staying on a timeshare stay so I can't speak to Platinum treatment, but I'd take a basic room there over the nicest upgrade at the Westin hotel. The larger units there are very nice so you might inquire about the possibility of upgrading using points or extra $.

Enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.